Scripps Networks Merging with Discovery?

Breaking News

It seems to be a battle between Viacom and Discovery over SNI.

I'm hoping Discovery gets it. It fits more of their footprint than Viacom. Viacom needs to take time to deal with its own slew of networks they already have before they even think about acquiring new networks.

I'm hoping Discovery gets it. It fits more of their footprint than Viacom. Viacom needs to take time to deal with its own slew of networks they already have before they even think about acquiring new networks.

If Discovery gets it (I hope it does) this will reunite Travel Channel under the Discovery brand.

And to be clear, Scripps Networks Interactive is a different company from E.W. Scripps.

I know that. The cable nets were spun-off from EWS a decade ago.

But both separate entities are still fully owned by the Scripps family.

Wow. That was fast.

Follow-up from Variety. Viacom appears to have ended talks to acquire SNI (Finally, a Wise Move).

However, talks continue between SNI & Discovery.

Wow. That was fast.

Follow-up from Variety. Viacom appears to have ended talks to acquire SNI (Finally, a Wise Move).

However, talks continue between SNI & Discovery.

Well, that's good.

I also feel Discovery is the perfect owner for SNI. Their networks really look and feel like they are owned by Discovery (including Travel Channel, which was under Discovery previously). Anyone else is like a mixed bag.

Viacom was a weird possibility more than just because of their restructuring plan.

I believe this will be a perfect merger.

MediaPost posted that their sources say that they're close a deal at around $90 a share, valued at nearly $12B.

A deal could be made by next week.

Today, KJRH announced its' new morning team, comprised of 2 KOTV vets. Former anchor Scott Thompson and recent hire Lisa Jones, returning to TV after 16 years.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/scenelatest/longtime-kotv-anchor-scott-thompson-returns-to-tv-on-kjrh/article_e642b8da-43e3-5f4d-9e03-f1bf6ff6d473.html

This better move the rating needle up, or it would be a major disaster for the station if it doesn't.

If this goes through I hope Discovery will acquire the 30% in Food Network from Sinclair once (if?) the Tribune deal wraps up. Not that Sincrap would have much of a say the network, but still.

So will HGTV become Discovery Home? (most likely not)

I could be wrong, but I think the HGTV brand is strong enough that such a move would possibly backfire on them.

So will HGTV become Discovery Home? (most likely not)

The only Scripps network that might rebrand would be Great American Country into possibly Discovery Country. Other than that, the Scripps cable nets have enough brand equity to avoid a rebrand.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be interesting to see how Discovery's acquisition of Scripps will play out over the long term. Clearly, Scripps has been a quality leader in regards to its cable offerings, whereas Discovery has spent much of the last 10 to 15 years pandering to the lowest common denominator. I can recall when TLC was known for its science and medical documentaries, but those days are long gone. They are now a launching pad for any scandalous newsmaker to revive their dubious pop culture career beyond their 15 minutes of undeserved fame.

If Discovery were to rebrand the HGTV and Food Network brands, you can expect enough outrage to make the front page of USA Today or the New York Times or the top story on Fox News or CNN. Those are established brands with dedicated audiences and familiar faces, have considerable brand equity, and have a unique character all their own. If Discovery were to shake up what ain't broken without any regards to genuine viewer opinion, this marriage is going to be a very rocky one.

I wonder if the Trading Spaces revival will make a bee-line for HGTV once the deal closes. Since it does fit HGTV better than TLC (which, let's be honest, has been crap since the current logo was introduced in 2004), I don't see why not.

• 3 months later...
I wonder if the Trading Spaces revival will make a bee-line for HGTV once the deal closes. Since it does fit HGTV better than TLC (which, let's be honest, has been crap since the current logo was introduced in 2006), I don't see why not.

Fixed.

With E.W. Scripps' Newsy now on Cox and Comcast in addition to Cincinnati Bell and online, alongside E.W. Scripps' original programming effort (The List, Right This Minute, etc., but that seems to be terrible), and their now wholly-owned diginets; maybe both Scripps companies should have re-merged.

• 3 months later...

Archived