WRC's Jim Vance has died

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This pill is hard to swallow when I read the news today.

I feel so bad for Doreen right now. God what knows what she's going through knowing she lost her so-called "TV husband" of 30 years.

Jim and Doreen made News 4 at 6:00 pm one of the top, if not THE top, newscast in the D.C. region, time and time and time again.

Watching Bruce's tribute was amazing and is probably something that we're all going through right now. There are many legends in D.C., but there'll never be another one like Vance ever again (whether that's on TV or on the radio).

I hope WRC can rename the studio/newsroom as "The Jim Vance Broadcast Center." It would be fitting to honor him. R.I.P. to the GOAT in D.C.

They did a brief Facebook Live before going on air. Doreen seemed like she was about to break down but said that once she starts reading she'll be fine and she was. She additionally said it was the hardest newscast she's done. A class act.

WBAL and WJZ covered Jim Vance's death around 4 or 5 minutes into their newscasts. Did any other adjacent markets cover his death? I know (from my mother) here in Baltimore County WRC was easily received with rabbit ears when she was growing up. She remembered Jim when he started when she was around 18.

And there was a tribute on Nightlty News.

I recorded 4 (naturally) and 9 at 6, and 20 (Fox 5's) at 8 and 50 at 10 (Fox 5 had UFC, plus I figure the 8pm is essentially the same on a Saturday night), and will record 4 & 7 at 11.

4's show was dedicated to Vance, save for a brief break for severe weather passing through the area.

9 dedicated the first 15 minutes to Vance, as did Fox 5 on 20.

50 gave it about 30 seconds... Guess that's what happens when the "local" news on a station comes out of Richmond...

I started watching him in '86, my first time in the DC area - when our cable had both DC and Baltimore (I'd watch either 2 or 4). When visiting, I would always go to 4 for local news, and when I moved to Northern Virginia 6 years ago, I was back to watching the news on 4. (When we moved offices, I set the cable box in the break room to automatically change to 804 at 5am, 11am, and 4pm).

He will be missed.

This pill is hard to swallow when I read the news today.

I feel so bad for Doreen right now. God what knows what she's going through knowing she lost her so-called "TV husband" of 30 years.

Jim and Doreen made News 4 at 6:00 pm one of the top, if not THE top, newscast in the D.C. region, time and time and time again.

Watching Bruce's tribute was amazing and is probably something that we're all going through right now. There are many legends in D.C., but there'll never be another one like Vance ever again (whether that's on TV or on the radio).

I hope WRC can rename the studio/newsroom as "The Jim Vance Broadcast Center." It would be fitting to honor him. R.I.P. to the GOAT in D.C.

Roly, as a DMV native, I thank you for your kind words.

WBAL and WJZ covered Jim Vance's death around 4 or 5 minutes into their newscasts. Did any other adjacent markets cover his death? I know (from my mother) here in Baltimore County WRC was easily received with rabbit ears when she was growing up. She remembered Jim when he started when she was around 18.

And there was a tribute on Nightlty News.

I don't think any local Philly stations covered it(someone correct me if I'm wrong), but ESPN's Dianna Russini, former WRC Sports Anchor gave a tribute to Vance on SportsCenter.

An off-air cap of tonight's WRC 6PM news is up on

MFSB going to every single break. They re-aired the runway blooper. I doubt anyone watching even cared about the tornado warning issued in-show.

Everyone was using everything they had to keep their head up while sharing the best memories. As professionals, I know they could do it, and they did. As friends to Jim, as they all very clearly were, I have no clue how they did it.

So, I posted this on my Facebook page. I think this accurately describes how I feel.

Today, was a tough day. I have lost family members in the past, and have been at peace with the loss. Even celebrities have passed and I have been alright with it. One would assume the loss of a Local News Anchor would be a roll off the back type of event for me. However, this time, It isn't.

Growing up in the DMV, Jim Vance was someone I grew up watching. As a child, I remember watching him, wanting to become a news anchor just like him. His way with words and his smooth demeanor, was the anchor I wanted to be one day. My grandmother, who was just as much of a role model as he was to me, watched him every night. She would tell us about how he used to teach before he went into TV Journalism. To be like him, I wanted to go into education for a few years, then become an anchor. Of course, I ended up sticking (and loving) education more.

I will miss Jim Vance, and his humor, and style. I am forever grateful for growing up in the DC Area and being able to see him every night on TV and actually having another male role model to aspire to be. (Besides my Pops, and Grandfather). I can only hope to continue his phenomenal legacy by being that same black male role model to the many students I serve.

Rest in Peace man.

I don't think any local Philly stations covered it(someone correct me if I'm wrong), but ESPN's Dianna Russini, former WRC Sports Anchor gave a tribute to Vance on SportsCenter.

WCAU closed their 6PM's A-block mentioning him. Turns out he's from here in Philly and was a fellow alumnus of my alma mater.

I'm sorry for going off tone here in a time of sadness and I'm sure I'm going to get some push back here (and maybe I'll regret this post later), but what world do you live in? You write stuff like this up anytime someone passes away. I don't recall ever electing you as spokesperson for the TVNewsTalk community. We are all capable of expressing our own condolences.

If it was something that Weeters bestowed on him way back when, then I can understand.

vNzVxzs.png

It is a very sad and very emotional day for TVNT, and to our friends at Washington DC's WRC-TV. Jim Vance was Washington's most trusted news anchor,

All of us at TVNewsTalk would like to take this time to offer our payers and condolences to Jim Vance's family and to his extend family at NBC 4 Washington in this very difficult time.

Rest In Peace Jim Vance, Goodnight and Godspeed.

That's a nice thing taking the time to write that. I hope you don't mind if some of us "tailgate" on those kind thoughts.

Most of channel 4's news tonight was dedicated to more stories about Vance. One story that really got me cracking up, was a story that Jim Handly told. Not sure when it was, but they were in the newsroom prior to the 4pm show talking about Wimbledon or whatever big tennis tourney was going on and how they both caught shit from producers for almost being late to the set to get ready for the newscast.

As sad as I still am, hearing all these stories really makes me smile, knowing the guy we saw on TV was exactly the same crazy and lovable guy off the air as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived