WRC's Jim Vance has died

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly a huge loss to the Washington area's local news team. Didn't know he was sick (was visiting relatives near D.C. two months ago and hoped to see him on WRC).

Not 100% sure, but between Jim's passing and Dick Goddard's recent retirement no one else comes to mind regarding another local news personality from the 1960s still working.

Certainly a huge loss to the Washington area's local news team. Didn't know he was sick (was visiting relatives near D.C. two months ago and hoped to see him on WRC).

Not 100% sure, but between Jim's passing and Dick Goddard's recent retirement no one else comes to mind regarding another local news personality from the 1960s still working.

He had been progressively "stepping back" from most TV duties over the past year or so. I think by the time his cancer announcement came in May, he was only doing the 6pm, which was (in my opinion) part of the reason why Leon Harris got snatched up after he left JLA.

vNzVxzs.png

It is a very sad and very emotional day for TVNT, and to our friends at Washington DC's WRC-TV. Jim Vance was Washington's most trusted news anchor, and to

many Washingtonians; Jim Vance was News 4. Vance was the region's longest-serving news anchor for nearly 50 years, Jim brought us the news like no other news

anchor in The Nation's Capital. He was original, trusted, respected and more importantly he was quintessential.

Jim had paired with so many co-anchors in his years at NBC 4; Glenn Rinker, Jim Hertz, Sue Simmons, Marty Levin, Bob McBride, Mike Hambrick, and Dave Marash,

but there was one co-anchor who have been there with Vance through thick and thin and in my opinion, one of Washington's respect news anchors... Dorreen Gentzler.

Vance and Gentzler had been co-anchoring the 6 & 11PM newscast since 1989, and their 28 year reign had made it the longest-running anchor team in Washington.

For many of us who are fans of local TV news, Jim Vance was the original. For many of us; he was Baltimore's Al Sanders, he was Milwaukee's Vince Gibbens,

he was D/FW's Tracy Rowlett, he was LA's Jerry Dunphy, he was Chicago's Bill Kurtis, he was Philadelphia's Jim Gardner, he was Boston's Chet Curtis, he was

Miami's Ralph Renick, He was New York's Chuck Scarborough, and so on.

When I learned that Jim had cancer, I said to myself that he can fight this, and beat it. Jim was always a fighter, a fighter to the very end. It is the one reason why viewers in

Washington connected to Jim because he's was a Washington Institution who deliver the news in for nearly 50 years. Today, we were honored to have Jim Vance into our

homes over the years to deliver us the very best newscasts for so many years in The Nation's Capital, and we were not just honored to watch Jim... it was a privileged.

Jim Vance will forever be in spirit and in our memory with all great stories about him, we wont forget Jim who had a total unique talent, he's established a tradition of excellence at WRC-TV that will totally hard pressed to lived up to. Next to the words "Individual, Institution, and Quintessential " in the dictionary is a picture of Jim Vance.

All of us at TVNewsTalk would like to take this time to offer our payers and condolences to Jim Vance's family and to his extend family at NBC 4 Washington in this very difficult time.

Rest In Peace Jim Vance, Goodnight and Godspeed.

He had been progressively "stepping back" from most TV duties over the past year or so. I think by the time his cancer announcement came in May, he was only doing the 6pm, which was (in my opinion) part of the reason why Leon Harris got snatched up after he left JLA.

Jim Vance stepping away from the 11pm two years ago was because he wanted to slowly cut back and ease into retirement. Back in 2015, when that decision was made, he also announced he was going to stop anchoring the 6pm and retire sometime in 2017.

In 2015 Chris Lawrence was moved to the 4pm. I'm sure the plans were for him to pickup the 6pm once Vance retired.

I believe the Leon Harris pickup had nothing to do with Vance's health, but more to do with the fact that WJLA was stupid to let him go and the other DC stations would be stupid to not pickup such a good talent. That's why Chris got bumped from the 4pm.

If only we had the civic will to fight cancer. But no, we have to fight meaningless time and money being a cop in the middle east for silly reasons. I have willed my body to cancer research if I don't die of it first and I urge everybody to do the same.

If we stopped being world cop and invested all of that money into cancer, it would be gone in five years tops. I would rather ISIS win if it meant a cancer cure.

listening to wtop radio on tunein for news and eventual tributes from colleagues such as tom sherwood + bob ryan. Eulogizing is one thing, learning the history + impact left that is felt to this day in terms of a changing DC as the community would know is another. There wasn't many black DC anchors on TV when he began, yet he + Maureen Bunyan, JC Hayward, Max Robinson, Andrea Roane were figures of an inspiration for a generation of those black youth who could see themselves on TV. What a towering figure, i'm still learning as i speak. Hope to watch News 4 at 6 in a few hours + it isn't locked out online. Maybe someone can capture the tribute + post soon. Rest in peace no doubt + condolences to anyone he has met in his lifetime.

vNzVxzs.png

It is a very sad and very emotional day for TVNT, and to our friends at Washington DC's WRC-TV. Jim Vance was Washington's most trusted news anchor, and to

many Washingtonians; Jim Vance was News 4. Vance was the region's longest-serving news anchor for nearly 50 years, Jim brought us the news like no other news

anchor in The Nation's Capital. He was original, trusted, respected and more importantly he was quintessential.

Jim had paired with so many co-anchors in his years at NBC 4; Glenn Rinker, Jim Hertz, Sue Simmons, Marty Levin, Bob McBride, Mike Hambrick, and Dave Marash,

but there was one co-anchor who have been there with Vance through thick and thin and in my opinion, one of Washington's respect news anchors... Dorreen Gentzler.

Vance and Gentzler had been co-anchoring the 6 & 11PM newscast since 1989, and their 28 year reign had made it the longest-running anchor team in Washington.

For many of us who are fans of local TV news, Jim Vance was the original. For many of us; he was Baltimore's Al Sanders, he was Milwaukee's Vince Gibbens,

he was D/FW's Tracy Rowlett, he was LA's Jerry Dunphy, he was Chicago's Bill Kurtis, he was Philadelphia's Jim Gardner, he was Boston's Chet Curtis, he was

Miami's Ralph Renick, He was New York's Chuck Scarborough, and so on.

When I learned that Jim had cancer, I said to myself that he can fight this, and beat it. Jim was always a fighter, a fighter to the very end. It is the one reason why viewers in

Washington connected to Jim because he's was a Washington Institution who deliver the news in for nearly 50 years. Today, we were honored to have Jim Vance into our

homes over the years to deliver us the very best newscasts for so many years in The Nation's Capital, and we were not just honored to watch Jim... it was a privileged.

Jim Vance will forever be in spirit and in our memory with all great stories about him, we wont forget Jim who had a total unique talent, he's established a tradition of excellence at WRC-TV that will totally hard pressed to lived up to. Next to the words "Individual, Institution, and Quintessential " in the dictionary is a picture of Jim Vance.

All of us at TVNewsTalk would like to take this time to offer our payers and condolences to Jim Vance's family and to his extend family at NBC 4 Washington in this very difficult time.

Rest In Peace Jim Vance, Goodnight and Godspeed.

I'm sorry for going off tone here in a time of sadness and I'm sure I'm going to get some push back here (and maybe I'll regret this post later), but what world do you live in? You write stuff like this up anytime someone passes away. I don't recall ever electing you as spokesperson for the TVNewsTalk community. We are all capable of expressing our own condolences.

I'm sorry for going off tone here in a time of sadness and I'm sure I'm going to get some push back here (and maybe I'll regret this post later), but what world do you live in? You write stuff like this up anytime someone passes away. I don't recall ever electing you as spokesperson for the TVNewsTalk community. We are all capable of expressing our own condolences.

I was rather confused as well. Not to mention the numerous grammatical errors.

This...wasn't the news I was expecting to hear regarding Mr. Vance this year.

I never had the pleasure of seeing him live on the air, but there's no doubt that he was indeed an industry legend. May he rest in peace.

Watching the 6 p.m. newscast now. Doreen Gentzler, his long-time co-anchor since 1989 is doing the tribute tonight and as they go to break, they are playing their Friday theme, "My Mood" by MFSB.

Archived