WBBM New Set (The Secret is Out!)

Que

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't make sense to go from the streetside set/studio > the newsroom (temporarily) > new set/studio, but you never know with them. If they are really done with the streetside studio, why not just go straight to the new set/studio?

I would not be surprised if they do not have enough lighting fixtures to light the new set and had to pull some from the street side studio. You may think this sounds silly, but I recall hearing that the night of the last McClurg Court broadcast, they had to rush some of the studio lights over to 22 W. Washington.

I would not be surprised if they do not have enough lighting fixtures to light the new set and had to pull some from the street side studio. You may think this sounds silly, but I recall hearing that the night of the last McClurg Court broadcast, they had to rush some of the studio lights over to 22 W. Washington.

Are they still using the same lighting fixtures as 2008, or did they upgrade somewhere along the line?

Are they still using the same lighting fixtures as 2008, or did they upgrade somewhere along the line?

This is from March but more recent pictures that show glimpses of their lighting rig show there isn't any noticeable change:

[MEDIA=instagram]BR3tvXLBX3h[/MEDIA]

There's nothing wrong with them, they're just kinda old. They seem to mostly be Mole Richardson fixtures of varying generations, though I'm not sure if the green ones are Moles. You can actually upgrade most of those Mole fixtures to LEDs, though it's expensive.

I suppose there's also the possibility they needed to move the studio cameras upstairs for shot blocking...

Either way... Soon...

This is from March but more recent pictures that show glimpses of their lighting rig show there isn't any noticeable change:

[MEDIA=instagram]BR3tvXLBX3h[/MEDIA]

There's nothing wrong with them, they're just kinda old. They seem to mostly be Mole Richardson fixtures of varying generations, though I'm not sure if the green ones are Moles. You can actually upgrade most of those Mole fixtures to LEDs, though it's expensive.

I suppose there's also the possibility they needed to move the studio cameras upstairs for shot blocking...

Either way... Soon...

I can report, based off this picture, that there are missing light fixtures (and cameras too). Had to catch a train, so I didn't have time to really stop and investigate fully, but the middle core of lights appears to be gone. Everything else (the desk, chairs, etc..) is still in place.

Because I'm curious--what is the white paper that is wrapped along some of the lights in that pic?

It's a flexible diffusion material ...I know it as "soft-spun" it diffuses and evens out light. I'm sure it has a real official name somewhere. It's made with fiberglass type strands...but soft and non-itchy. It wont burn except at very high temps.

Marissa Bailey said on Facebook that they're there (in the newsroom) 'til the debut of the new studio. So while that's good news that it's actually happening, it's still weird that they needed something temporary when they're moving to an entirely different studio.

But the weirdness actually began a couple weeks ago, when they began doing sports from the newsroom and just ending each newscast with the 2-person anchor shot. So at that point, I guess something was already up with the left side of the old set, and now it's the whole thing. So we have indeed seen the last of the sadly wasted streetside studio, and I think Weeters is right, it must be because they're pulling from the old set - lighting, cameras, whatever else.

This should be a fairly quick (2-3 week) project, right? Mainly just hanging the lighting grid, setting up the cameras, performing rehearsals, right?

If even. Viz was obviously doing something with setting up technology on the set months ago. They -should- have an idea for camera shots already, since the leaked video shows there was a camera up there at the same time Viz was there. They just need to program the shots into the Cambot controller (which could take a day or two at most) and hang the lights they apparently took out of the streetside studio.

Also, if you're curious just how old some of those lights are, you can see a few similar fixtures in this old photo of Lester and Stefan Holt.

This should be a fairly quick (2-3 week) project, right? Mainly just hanging the lighting grid, setting up the cameras, performing rehearsals, right?

It seems like they are taking the slowest route possible. Let's be honest. They could have easily set up a small green screen w/a monitor in the newsroom and done sports from the control room (if necessary). It's not that complicated. That way, they could have grabbed everything they needed from the streetside studio in ONE day. It's as if they have just one engineer/tech/electrician doing everything.

Marissa Bailey said on Facebook that they're there (in the newsroom) 'til the debut of the new studio. So while that's good news that it's actually happening, it's still weird that they needed something temporary when they're moving to an entirely different studio.

And this leads me to this question:

How is this weird when literally every station in the country goes to a temporary location while a set is changing? What, because this situation have a set already built? If so, I still don't see why everyone is so agitated about that.

How is this weird when literally every station in the country goes to a temporary location while a set is changing? What, because this situation have a set already built? If so, I still don't see why everyone is so agitated about that.

Agitated? It sounds like your the only one who is agitated... everyone else is perfectly calm. Do you live in Chicago? If not, you probably haven't witnessed the pish posh operation know as WBBM

I just dont get why they need to rehearse there set was built around the same time as WFLD and WGN so I dont see why they just dont debut it already and there using the display in the weather center because thats pretty much the only standup area they have and lastly I wish the wood on their set was dark the light makes it look cheap heres my favorite Chicago sets

sets

1.WFLD

2.WLS (honestly a tie FLD just makea better use of their set

TIE 3.WMAQ and WGN WMAQ still looks good the updates they have made over the past few years has really kept the set up and WGN s set is new and clean

Close 4. WBBM There set is not bad by any means but I can see it now there really isnt any more standup areas and i can see them just sitting at the news desk all the time and its really small but i like the wx center

Firstly, not agitated. Secondly, do you not understand that they're moving to a different studio? Of course temp sets make total sense and are the norm when stations usually have to tear down the old one and construct the new in the same studio. It's the same space, and it takes time.

But in this case, just like when 'BBM moved from McClurg Ct. to where they're at now (a different studio), when it was ready, they simply began broadcasting from the new digs after their final newscast from the old building. No temp set needed. Even at McClurg Ct. when they moved from Studio 2 to Studio 1 (the shortlived Works For You era), no temp set. But of course there was a temp set when Joe Ahern needed the time to trash it.

So while we've deduced that they're pulling what they shouldn't need from the streetside studio to complete the new one, creating this reason for a temp set-up, it never should have been necessary. If you still don't get it, I don't know what else to say.. Surprised I even had to explain all that, unless you simply didn't understand they're moving to a different studio. Which you still should have understood if you read all the posts. Unless you didn't read all the posts. Oh Jeez, OK I'm done with that.

Moving on, here's something worth reading/seeing:

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2017/09/07/cbs-chicago-shutters-streetside-studio-moves-temporary-set-newsroom/

Evidently, they've leased the space for retail use. And not sure why the article says the anchors are standing up, but whatever.

Archived