WBBM New Set (The Secret is Out!)

Que

Some new set tidbits..

A vast improvement from the previous set. This design/concept actually matches the original set design planned before their move in 2008 until they had to cut budget and decide on a different set designer and design.

Not a fan of the white flooring for under the anchor desk and chairs.. That's going to get marked up pretty quickly.

I was told much of the studio lighting, all the audio equipment & studio monitor speakers, and all the cameras, including their cable whips, came from the old studio.

I was told a monitor (possibly 2) from the old set (not including the floor viewing monitors - those all came from the old space) made it onto the new set. Not exactly sure which ones they are or if they are just the monitor carts.

I do like the picture frame showing the evolution of the CBS 2 logo on the chotchkie wall. I just hope someone dusts that wall and all the items on it on a regular basis.. I can see that thing getting extremely dusty in time.

I bet the first thing the station will remove are the 3 pendant lights over the interview area. Then I bet they'll probably get rid of the curved couch and replace it with those white chairs from the "Eye on Chicago" set from their old building.

Quiz time: There's a globe at the chotchkie wall.. It's not just a random globe. Where did it come from? Hint: It was a place in their old building..

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only critique I have to offer is of the anchor desk. Why all the white space on the printed graphic that fronts the desk? It looks like a missed opportunity. They could have put a monitor there, or placed the CBS 2 logo square in the center and printed graphics on either side. Otherwise, this is a pretty nice upgrade for WBBM.

How come it looks so much better in this Ed Curran video tour he was kind enough to post on facebook, than it does on tv?

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fed.curran%2Fvideos%2F10214470456260947%2F&show_text=0&width=560

You may have to use your mouse to scroll down to the bottom to turn on the volume. Like, click on the screen, hold it down, and move it to the bottom. Idk, that's what I had to do. Unless u just want to go to his public fb page if that's easier and find the post...here's that link just in case: https://www.facebook.com/EdCurranMeteorologist/

Is it just me, or would the set look better if it was shot in a way to look a bit smaller on the air? Some of the angles have the same problem as the '08 set, where so many pieces (and people) look way further apart than they really are. I know these things always look bigger through the cameras, but a bit of scaled down intimacy would help it, in my eyes. Also, the way they're shooting the weather/traffic center isn't doing the cool depth of it justice. Having the accessible row behind it could set up a nice zoom-in to show off the gadgets. The closest thing in-town I can compare it to would be how 7 zooms into their weather center, showing off the clouded glass panels and high-mounted screens in the 3x3 nook before taking the tight shot on the primary monitor.

Nice to say I still can't coherently describe my reservations with this set.

(By the way, I'm digging the old mic flags on the interview wall.)

IMG_3371.thumb.jpg.b6f9ebc0f0bb3afbfb206f8d82ec9ce4.jpg

Not a fan of how there is only one panel of frosted plexi on one side of the desk. It seems like they should've ran it all the way to the other side so we don't see chair parts and computer towers. Also, the desks for all these CBS o&os seem too big. I think the set would look larger if the desks were built 3/4 of the size they are now.

IMG_3370.thumb.jpg.f6cb58705de3ed8cf0ecde88bd64875f.jpg

[ATTACH=full]4528[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]4527[/ATTACH]

Not a fan of how there is only one panel of frosted plexi on one side of the desk. It seems like they should've ran it all the way to the other side so we don't see chair parts and computer towers. Also, the desks for all these CBS o&os seem too big. I think the set would look larger if the desks were built 3/4 of the size they are now.

The average viewer is not going to care for the computer towers or chair parts, but us.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Did they ever fix the light glare on the wide shots? Haven't watched in a while.

No. I doubt they will. The streetside studio hasn't been cleared out yet. Guess they're in no hurry to do so. I also noticed only 3 monitors (out of 12-14?) in the lobby were working as of this past Tuesday. Guessing that's also on the back burner of things to do/fix too.

Archived