WBBM New Set (The Secret is Out!)

Que

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not know that.

Why would they? If he's doing a good job then they'll keep him around. You do realize that there are other priorities for GM's aside from graphics, sets, and music...

And I'm going on the assumption that you probably haven't checked out the other threads in this forum that talk about WJZ's GM retiring...

From my understanding, WBBM is under obligation by the city to have the streetside studio in "continuous use" until a certain date or point of sublease in which once certain papers are signed or even certain permits pulled, then they can switch over to the new studio. There have been a number of potential leasers. Not sure if one of them is now official.

The station saved alot of memorabilia. Alot from the old building was trashed but alot was also packed and stored on an empty floor of their current building that they use for storage.

From my understanding, WBBM is under obligation by the city to have the streetside studio in "continuous use" until a certain date or point of sublease in which once certain papers are signed or even certain permits pulled, then they can switch over to the new studio. There have been a number of potential leasers. Not sure if one of them is now official.

The station saved alot of memorabilia. Alot from the old building was trashed but alot was also packed and stored on an empty floor of their current building that they use for storage.

So it might be a date before September 22, 2018, right? It could possibly be 10 years from whatever date they signed their contract to build the studio? Late 2007 or early 2008?

So it might be a date before September 22, 2018, right? It could possibly be 10 years from whatever date they signed their contract to build the studio? Late 2007 or early 2008?

I believe the official lease started sometime in late 2007 and the city "agreement" was 10 years.. Management has wanted a new set for a couple years now. For BDI's cost and convenience reasons, they started constructing WBBM's set around the time of WGN's set construction.

So far as of now, CBS 2 Chicago is the only station yet to receive a new look. I just felt they had been in the same studio since they went HD only for refreshes. They need to match all the other stations that had new sets (WGBO, WMAQ, WLS, WSNS, WFLD, WGN). So get something to do otherwise it's back to the newsroom like they broadcast for just one year.

I believe the official lease started sometime in late 2007 and the city "agreement" was 10 years.. Management has wanted a new set for a couple years now. For BDI's cost and convenience reasons, they started constructing WBBM's set around the time of WGN's set construction.

Hmm, ok, so there's maybe a chance of debut in time for November sweeps?

I still don't fully understand why they couldn't (or didn't want to) just built a new set in the current studio. It's not like they really have to use the windows. Was it really that much of a pain to deal with?

Ultimately, I would guess that their ratings and lack of success doesn't warrant the high cost of that storefront lease. Same kind of deal that NBC had; their streetfront digs outlasted the gimmick, they executed only one major refresh for HD, changed some duras when they overhauled the branding, but got out around the 10-year mark. In this case, both stations had better options to fall back on when it was time to board up the windows.

I still don't fully understand why they couldn't (or didn't want to) just built a new set in the current studio. It's not like they really have to use the windows. Was it really that much of a pain to deal with?

Probably to save money. Not having the streetside studio means that they have one less floor they need to lease.

MONEY. That street side space facing Daley Plaza is very very valuable real estate. The station can bank HUGE subleasing that to a regular store, restaurant, or even another media-related business. They can make many times the amount they would make just renting out their other studio. The other studio has been rented out to various people but nothing to make WBBM bank. For them to remain at the window studio would be a huge financial waste for the station.

I never understood why they couldn't find a way to get out of whatever agreement they have/had with the city. As I have said before, the city has a ton of other things to concern themselves with than a streetside studio. This is a prime spot no doubt, but let's not forget the entire block sat undeveloped for years, so having the streetside studio space go unused for several months (or a yr or 2 at best) wouldn't be catastrophic. It took some 8 yrs before 'The Dearborn' tavern opened on the opposite corner (to the North) of WBBM. Hopefully, WBBM won't face a similar dilemma.

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing CBS2, this has nothing to do with the new set, so I'll post here that they anchored the early evening newscasts in the newsroom. I don't know why, but it's definitely not ideal for anything more than a few newscasts.

[MEDIA=twitter]905211306491482117[/MEDIA]

Knowing CBS2, this has nothing to do with the new set, so I'll post here that they anchored the early evening newscasts in the newsroom. I don't know why, but it's definitely not ideal for anything more than a few newscasts.

[MEDIA=twitter]905211306491482117[/MEDIA]

WBBM is such a special station haha!!

Archived