Entravision buying KMIR/KPSE Palm Springs.

ColtFromGulfcoast

You should see the Dairy Queen on S.4th Ave. So run down, it looked like something straight out of the 1970s. Everything from the building/windows/screens, very outdated...and dirty. The place looked like it was converted from someone's house.

Anyways, I'm curious to know what Entravision plans to do with the Univision newscasts for Palm Springs. Will they still pipe in their regional newscasts to the area or will they have the resources to expand both news departments?

I harken back to the KMIR Ron Fortner days....

It was a bad time..

Is Zapalla still there??...Because I sure as hell cannot figure that one out. I was in the Westfield Palm Desert mall a few months ago and there was a giant hanging KMIR News banner in the center court.

The mall of course is half empty ...and dying.

I honestly like the KESQ /NPG product most the time. The valley is a feisty little market, and KMIR is much, much better then the old days.

I have no idea. It could also have been promotion if they had their services televised on one of the KECY subs.

Graham Ledger anchored at KECY -9 in 1985/86...back when it was a CBS affil. It was a stand alone operation downtown El Centro, but with a Yuma Bureau.

That place was so cheap the engineers couldn't afford duct tape...so they used masking tape for all repairs.

yes...

Hell Centro is 10 times worse than Yuma is.

It could qualify as a failing station, right?

Really good question you ask...

I wonder if one of our resident FCC "reg-heads" could explain the failing station waiver, and what if any actual proof is required in the filing?

Just what is considered to be "failing"?

Nothing will change. Entravision has been involved in English language radio and tv stations for a long time. One of my best friends programmed one of their English language radio stations. They're happy to expand their portfolio with English language stations.

Nothing will change. Entravision has been involved in English language radio and tv stations for a long time. One of my best friends programmed one of their English language radio stations. They're happy to expand their portfolio with English language stations.

I know when I was down in the McAllen area visiting my folks they had a few in English down there. I also got to catch the news down there on KFXV.

You should see the Dairy Queen on S.4th Ave. So run down, it looked like something straight out of the 1970s. Everything from the building/windows/screens, very outdated...and dirty. The place looked like it was converted from someone's house.

Anyways, I'm curious to know what Entravision plans to do with the Univision newscasts for Palm Springs. Will they still pipe in their regional newscasts to the area or will they have the resources to expand both news departments?

Do you have a street view link to that Dairy Queen, A3N?

Really good question you ask...

I wonder if one of our resident FCC "reg-heads" could explain the failing station waiver, and what if any actual proof is required in the filing?

Just what is considered to be "failing"?

Well... these were the criteria under which Blackhawk (KYMA) bought KSWT and which make a good comparison case for the four points of an FSW...

1. Poor audience ratings (4% or fewer share for an entire broadcast day) for one of the stations in the proposed duopoly

2. Poor financial condition (negative cash flow) of one of the stations

3. Blackhawk was "the only reasonable candidate willing and able to acquire and operate KSWT, and a sale to an out-of-market buyer or a buyer who is willing to acquire only one station in the market would result in an artificially depressed price"

4. Permits the facilitation of continued local television service where it might not otherwise exist (production of public interest benefits)

[quote name='televisionguy16']Do you have a street view link to that Dairy Queen, A3N?[/QUOTE] [URL='https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6904978,-114.6245498,3a,15y,128.96h,90.93t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMV_YkSgXlppYwFLDpANeJQ!2e0!5s20150501T000000!7i13312!8i6656']Click Here[/URL] ^^Thanks to @Raymie for looking it up. Oh, and the ice cream was soft/runny...not good for a blizzard.

[quote name='A3N'][URL='https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6904978,-114.6245498,3a,15y,128.96h,90.93t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMV_YkSgXlppYwFLDpANeJQ!2e0!5s20150501T000000!7i13312!8i6656']Click Here[/URL] ^^Thanks to @Raymie for looking it up. Oh, and the ice cream was soft/runny...not good for a blizzard.[/QUOTE] A buddy of mine went to Dairy Queen in a town just north of where I live and ordered a Butterfinger Blizzard. The only Butterfingers in there were at the top. After that, it was straight ice cream.

Well... these were the criteria under which Blackhawk (KYMA) bought KSWT and which make a good comparison case for the four points of an FSW...

1. Poor audience ratings (4% or fewer share for an entire broadcast day) for one of the stations in the proposed duopoly

2. Poor financial condition (negative cash flow) of one of the stations

3. Blackhawk was "the only reasonable candidate willing and able to acquire and operate KSWT, and a sale to an out-of-market buyer or a buyer who is willing to acquire only one station in the market would result in an artificially depressed price"

4. Permits the facilitation of continued local television service where it might not otherwise exist (production of public interest benefits)

Thank You sir!

A buddy of mine went to Dairy Queen in a town just north of where I live and ordered a Butterfinger Blizzard. The only Butterfingers in there were at the top. After that, it was straight ice cream.

He's lucky the ice cream was the only "straight" item on the Dairy "Queen" menu...

Now about those butter fingers...(to be continued)...

Oh come on!

That was funny!

What about the Oreo, Heath, Reeses and M&M ones, Eat?

This is why we are forced to eat people sometimes...

All this crap you feed us!

I just want a nice filet...wrapped in a bikini or bacon.

In relation to this, does anyone think some other markets may be next? I.e. Entravision buying english-language stations just to diversify their portfolio. It's a huge jump to assume they'd be buying in hypothetical conflict markets but it would not surprise me for some reason.

In relation to this, does anyone think some other markets may be next? I.e. Entravision buying english-language stations just to diversify their portfolio. It's a huge jump to assume they'd be buying in hypothetical conflict markets but it would not surprise me for some reason.

I think only if Entravision has a radio and TV presence. Entravision also owns two radio stations in Palm Springs. I mean, sure they have KFXV and KXOF (and they also operate KCBA under JSA), a couple of CW affiliates (notably Reno), XHDTV and WJAL, but this is their first Big 3 station.

I think only if Entravision has a radio and TV presence. Entravision also owns two radio stations in Palm Springs. I mean, sure they have KFXV and KXOF (and they also operate KCBA under JSA), a couple of CW affiliates (notably Reno), XHDTV and WJAL, but this is their first Big 3 station.

Alternately, In cities where they only have a radio presence, they could maybe branch out into TV there or even in markets where only Telemundo has an affiliate (i.e. New Orleans), Entravision could buy a big 4 station (and possibly a duopoly partner) and keep the English network on analog and add Univision to a dot 2.

In addition to that, I see no reason why Entravision can't buy standalone CW/MNT or even Fox stations in markets where they have Univsion stations (and even shared services agreements with the Unimas O&Os). A CW/MNT/Fox affiliate owned by Entravision in tandem with a Univision station could target non-Spanish speaking Hispanics in the newscasts and provide a fresh new option to others as well, at least in the English-speaking community.

Alternately, In cities where they only have a radio presence, they could maybe branch out into TV there or even in markets where only Telemundo has an affiliate (i.e. New Orleans), Entravision could buy a big 4 station (and possibly a duopoly partner) and keep the English network on primary and add Univision to a dot 2.

Fixed.

Alternately, In cities where they only have a radio presence, they could maybe branch out into TV there or even in markets where only Telemundo has an affiliate (i.e. New Orleans), Entravision could buy a big 4 station (and possibly a duopoly partner) and keep the English network on analog and add Univision to a dot 2.

In addition to that, I see no reason why Entravision can't buy standalone CW/MNT or even Fox stations in markets where they have Univsion stations (and even shared services agreements with the Unimas O&Os). A CW/MNT/Fox affiliate owned by Entravision in tandem with a Univision station could target non-Spanish speaking Hispanics in the newscasts and provide a fresh new option to others as well, at least in the English-speaking community.

This is how it works...you always are upgrading.

10 years from now you will all be bitching when they buy ABC /Univision / Google

This is how it works...you always are upgrading.

10 years from now you will all be bitching when they buy ABC /Univision / Google

To be fair, Univision does own 8% of Entravision, and also owned a piece of the very cheaply and poorly operated Equity Media Holdings Group based in Little Rock. Kinda interesting how a network owns a piece of a group that has not only in the past, operated affiliates of Telemundo, Mundomax and currently has a few Azteca affiliates but also a few English-language stations as well (but Univision themselves has been in English for quite some time on KUVI, the Katz subchannels, Fusion etc.) so you never know. I still stand by my statement that English/Spanish combinations will become even more commonplace in the future.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived