New set at KOCO

T.L. Hughes

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will be one of these three dates...this Sunday night 9/3...Monday morning 9/4 or the Tuesday after the Labor Day weekend 9/5. Launching Sunday night during the Labor Day weekend might be a good time to work out any kinks that may arise since viewing will be down because of the holiday.

I think it will be one of these three dates...this Sunday night 9/3...Monday morning 9/4 or the Tuesday after the Labor Day weekend 9/5. Launching Sunday night during the Labor Day weekend might be a good time to work out any kinks that may arise since viewing will be down because of the holiday.

I think Sunday night would be a good time to launch the new set (keep in mind, KFOR launched the debut of their new building on a Saturday)

I believe that TV Stations should debut their new set or new building on a weekend (Saturday or Sunday) in order to have enough time needed to work out any technical issues, etc. Because anytime you have something that's brand new, you will experience technical difficulties (KFOR found that out on a number of occaisions during their 1st week in the new facility)

If you watch closely, you can see KOCO promos running this Labor Day weekend with the new set in the background, in particular the new morning show lineup with Maggie Carlo, Markie Martin, and Shelby Hays. From the images above, it does look like a similar set up to WESH-TV and the 9 screen backdrop behind the anchor desk.

It will be interesting to see the First Alert Weather Center setup and if they follow the trend of doing away with the green screen in favor of a "big board"of monitors for certain weather segments. KFOR incorporates this some in their new setup.

If you watch closely, you can see KOCO promos running this Labor Day weekend with the new set in the background, in particular the new morning show lineup with Maggie Carlo, Markie Martin, and Shelby Hays. From the images above, it does look like a similar set up to WESH-TV and the 9 screen backdrop behind the anchor desk.

It will be interesting to see the First Alert Weather Center setup and if they follow the trend of doing away with the green screen in favor of a "big board"of monitors for certain weather segments. KFOR incorporates this some in their new setup.

I was going to mention that; those excerpts were likely filmed during practice runthroughs on the new set. Since the newscasts remain in the newsroom this week, my guess is that the set won't debut until on or around September 11, if not the week after.

I was going to mention that; those excerpts were likely filmed during practice runthroughs on the new set. Since the newscasts remain in the newsroom this week, my guess is that the set won't debut until on or around September 11, if not the week after.

You obviously didn't read a few posts up... It debuts tonight at 5 p.m.

Let's hope KCCI, KMBC, KCRA, WMUR, WVTM, WCVB, KOAT are next to get makeover sets.

I haven't heard anything yet regarding KOAT, but hopefully they'll be getting a new set this fall if not early next year. The existing set debuted September 2008, a few months after they switched to the ''floating logo'' graphics. I just don't think it matches with the diagrid graphics at all.

WAPT has had two set refreshes to the set that dates back to 2001

The WAPT set that got refreshed twice, I think actually dates back to late 1999, as I remember seeing a WAPT open from April 2000, and they were already using that set. It looked nearly identical to the ones KOAT and WTAE used at that time.

I haven't heard anything yet regarding KOAT, but hopefully they'll be getting a new set this fall if not early next year. The existing set debuted September 2008, a few months after they switched to the ''floating logo'' graphics. I just don't think it matches with the diagrid graphics at all.

The WAPT set that got refreshed twice, I think actually dates back to late 1999, as I remember seeing a WAPT open from April 2000, and they were already using that set. It looked nearly identical to the ones KOAT and WTAE used at that time.

If watch KOAT, you may notice some missing set pieces from the demolition that recently started.

http://www.koco.com/article/gallery-koco-5-debuts-new-set/12172982

http://www.koco.com/article/five-things-to-know-about-the-new-koco-5-set/12172865

A few thoughts:

1. Has any station with a "color changing wall" actually ended up using it for very long? It seems most stations end up settling on a single color and just leaving it.

2. It seems... a little boring, based on these photos. It's probably the lack of any unusual corners or nooks or whatnot. Long, straight backdrop walls, with a few anchor desks... and that's it. I've seen more interesting temporary sets.

1. Has any station with a "color changing wall" actually ended up using it for very long? It seems most stations end up settling on a single color and just leaving it.

I've seen WBAL use regularly use three: the light yellow for mornings, blue for evenings and purple for Ravens. I think during special reports they go red but it's hard to tell.

To be honest this set is more boring compared to the recent variations of this design.

The new set resembles a combination of KOKH and KOMO's sets; in fact, there are a lot of design similarities between this one and KOKH's. Is this a Devlin design?

Yes, and literally similar to WBAL's set. It also looks like one of the standup areas with six vertical monitors can be split into two, but I could be wrong.

One thing I think I noticed (maybe it was my stream) was that some elements when spread accross the monitor wall lost their crispness. When they used the 6x1 wall for weather you could see pixelation on the weather graphics. Almost like they didn't scale up properly.

IMG_8660.thumb.jpg.e16818f1fd1b687f6297abcc29b53a88.jpg

IMG_8661.thumb.jpg.f03472bacf83b354074556e9a614e5d3.jpg

One thing I think I noticed (maybe it was my stream) was that some elements when spread accross the monitor wall lost their crispness. When they used the 6x1 wall for weather you could see pixelation on the weather graphics. Almost like they didn't scale up properly.

[ATTACH=full]4456[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4457[/ATTACH]

Are they going the "WJZ" stretch route for the video wall? ;-)

J

Archived