New set at KOCO

T.L. Hughes

Thursday afternoon (July 20) beginning with the 5:00 p.m. newscast, KOCO moved production of its newscasts to the station's newsroom, as it prepares to retire its ten-year-old FX Group set. The station will be building a new set in its main production stage over the next few weeks, which, as chief meteorologist Damon Lane stated, would among other things include a state-of-the-art weather center designed "with Oklahoma in mind".

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So within the last 18 months, the following Hearst stations have gotten new sets...

KETV (Oct. 2015)

WTAE (April 2016)

WBAL (July 2016)

KSBW (Summer 2016)

WDSU (Spring 2017)

WESH (May 2017)

The following stations to get new sets...

KOCO (I'm guessing Late August or Early September)

WCVB (Sometime in 2017 according to a New England One article)

---------

So with all the stations getting new sets, could this be a sign of more new sets to come? Does anybody know if any other stations are to get new sets soon? There are plenty who need them!

Let's hope KCCI, KMBC, KCRA, WMUR, WVTM, WCVB, KOAT are next to get makeover sets.

KMBC is an odd one because they've had their set since they moved into their new building and went HD in 2007. They don't have a true, standalone studio; the newsroom flows openly into the "studio" half of the building. Any renovations they get would be nearly building wide.

KHOG/KHBS has had their current set since they relocated the studio to Rogers from Fayetteville and Ft. Smith. That was in 2007.

WAPT has had two set refreshes to the set that dates back to 2001 (new weather center, though)

WXII needs new set as that has been refreshed several times with the newsroom setting.

KHOG/KHBS has had their current set since they relocated the studio to Rogers from Fayetteville and Ft. Smith. That was in 2007.

WAPT has had two set refreshes to the set that dates back to 2001 (new weather center, though)

WXII needs new set as that has been refreshed several times with the newsroom setting.

I forgot about those stations too

They already had new sets.

Nope... WISN's set dates to the early 2000's (2003?). It was "refreshed" on the cheap a couple years ago (like, 6). Basically they gave it a new paint job. Far from a "new set".

WDJT got their FX group set around the same time, and they already replaced that.

I have to say, Kudos to WLWT for being able to keep the overall Set Frame since...2000ish? (They did build a brand new WX Center, and added a couple of Stand up areas,) They have always been able to make it look awesome after a Refresh!!

It's about time KOCO got a new set because when they changed to the current Hearst graphics in 2013 the new graphics just didn't match with the rest of the set but I find it interesting that KOCO will be debuting their new set at the same time KFOR debuts theirs when they move to their new building (which is supposed to happen sometime in August)

When KFOR's and KOCO's sets debut this will make KWTV's set the oldest in the Oklahoma City market (which KWTV's set debut the year after KOCO debut their old set)

Can anyone please tell me if any of the newscasts that air on Me-TV (KOCO included) are in HD? I'm watching the 9pm Newscast on Me-TV right now and it's only in Standard Definition, not in High Definition (maybe Me-TV's newscasts will get converted to HD when KOCO's new set debuts)

It's about time KOCO got a new set because when they changed to the current Hearst graphics in 2013 the new graphics just didn't match with the rest of the set but I find it interesting that KOCO will be debuting their new set at the same time KFOR debuts theirs when they move to their new building (which is supposed to happen sometime in August)

When KFOR's and KOCO's sets debut this will make KWTV's set the oldest in the Oklahoma City market (which KWTV's set debut the year after KOCO debut their old set)

An aside to the second part of that post: I didn't know that KFOR was nearing completion of its new buidling. They haven't really mentioned much about it since the new facility was announced more than two years ago.

An aside to the second part of that post: I didn't know that KFOR was nearing completion of its new buidling. They haven't really mentioned much about it since the new facility was announced more than two years ago.

Here's a link to a story on the new KFOR building that was posted on June 22, 2017. There really needs to be a new thread on the upcoming opening of the new facility.

http://kfor.com/2017/06/22/man-who-laid-bricks-on-original-kfor-studio-to-help-with-new-facility/

Here's a link to a story on the new KFOR building that was posted on June 22, 2017. There really needs to be a new thread on the upcoming opening of the new facility.

http://kfor.com/2017/06/22/man-who-laid-bricks-on-original-kfor-studio-to-help-with-new-facility/

Hopefully they'll get it up and running by the November books.

I do wonder though which set company is designing KFOR's set? Because I've heard Ali Meyer (AM Anchor for KFOR's 4-7am Newscast) say that KFOR's set could be similar to that of WPIX's new set that they debuted few months back however, I don't know who's designing the set, I've been checking every where to find out who's designing the set for KFOR (same with KOCO) but haven't found anything about it and if someone can find it that would be great.

I do agree there needs to be a thread about it because KFOR said they're moving into the new building sometime in August (don't know when, I'll have to ask Ali Meyer again to find out) and when I get a response back from her I'll pass that along to you

What?

That's what Ali Meyer said on Twitter few months back, I asked her that question and she said the set could be similar to that of WPIX (meaning the same company who designed and built WPIX's set) I don't know for sure who is building KFOR's set, it could be the same ones that did WPIX's set, I don't know

That's what Ali Meyer said on Twitter few months back, I asked her that question and she said the set could be similar to that of WPIX (meaning the same company who designed and built WPIX's set) I don't know for sure who is building KFOR's set, it could be the same ones that did WPIX's set, I don't know

I was questioning the notion that WPIX got a new set a few months ago. They've been on their current set for more than 2 years. KTLA and WGN, on the other hand, both moved into their new digs within the last year.

Archived