WFOR New Set

USNewsie

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WFOR, the CBS O&O station in Miami, will be getting a brand new set in the coming weeks.

According to morning anchor Eugene Ramirez on Twitter:

[MEDIA=twitter]884336226215579648[/MEDIA]

Holy bleep! It's about flipping time!!! They've been using the same set since going HD in 2010. 7 years too long in my opinion since there was lack of technology on its set and every other station has had a new set since then (WTVJ in 2012, WSVN in 2015 and WPLG in 2016).

Holy bleep! It's about flipping time!!! They've been using the same set since going HD in 2010. 7 years too long in my opinion since there was lack of technology on its set and every other station has had a new set since then (WTVJ in 2012, WSVN in 2015 and WPLG in 2016).

If WFOR is as piss-poor in ratings, I don't expect a particularly good set. Just enough to say they have a new set.

Actually, WPLG's set debuted in July 2014.

If WFOR is as piss-poor in ratings, I don't expect a particularly good set. Just enough to say they have a new set.

I know.

Can't imagine it being to grand. From what I've seen the studio is cramped.

It is very cramped. Its the smallest studio in the market. Its horrible and that's the kind of news department WFOR has had.

Waiting for the WJZ and WNYW folks to comment....;)
WBBM is probably the next CBS station to get a new set, however WJZ just put reflective lighting on their set. I'm still not understanding why WjZ is holding on to this set? It's knocking on 20 years and who ever designed it isn't even in business anymore.

WBBM is probably the next CBS station to get a new set, however WJZ just put reflective lighting on their set. I'm still not understanding why WjZ is holding on to this set? It's knocking on 20 years and who ever designed it isn't even in business anymore.

Look at it this way, if they're not in business anymore, at least they went out with a great set that instills the test of time.

Look at it this way, if they're not in business anymore, at least they went out with a great set that instills the test of time.

I don't know if I would quite go that far with regards to WJZ's almost 20-year-old set. But pencilogic was a good designer. WFOR's mid 90s set was by them, as were most of the CBS O&Os. KPIX held onto theirs for more than a decade, and there was a time when all but one station in the Denver market had some work by pencilogic on the air.

The pencilogic sets are definitely dated now, but they were quite nice for their time. There's also something quite refreshing looking at them now seeing how much more creativity is in them versus the current trend of putting up some light panels and video walls everywhere. KWGN's LoDo loft set was one of my favorites:

35011246954_08ca66a715_o.jpg

What are the odds WFOR will bamboozle everyone and use their temporary set as their permanent set?

After all, no one could tell the difference! ;)

That's what KDKA did. Difference is going to be that KDKA is top-dog in Pittsburgh. However, WFOR is a total joke in Miami so I don't expect anything grand or even decent.

Already looks like the KCBS and KOVR sets.

One of the major differences I can see already is that the monitor wall is being placed right up against the rear wall (which I'm also assuming is why that giant hole is there). KCBS and KOVR's monitor walls are placed a few feet in front of the rear wall. As you can see below, the floor continues behind the monitors for some distance:

3666-b065304a924967f857cede381439d02f.jpg

The notion that they're purposely going to give them a bad set is silly, just because ratings are bad. Just like a great set, it's quite the feat to produce a garbage one effort, too. Sure, being competitive might give you a leg up when it comes to receiving funds, but in this age of standardization, it's ultimately cheapest to just give a weak station someone else's look, without the effort of purposely coming up with a bad design.

It now appears that WFOR is going with the logical move, of course.

Archived