KARK-TV new set

NWA_TV_guy

Nexstar’s KARK-4 in Little Rock announced on the 10 p.m. news on 7/7/17 that the station will be debuting a new set in a few weeks. Crews started constructing immediately following the newscast. Broadcasts from a temporary set will begin immediately.

IMG_4772.thumb.PNG.f6a5b9feeb9dbdc325d32e59a463f159.PNG

IMG_4773.thumb.PNG.2e841a91f7e0eb4db9af3cb196019211.PNG

Does this mean FOX 16 gets a new set as well? Dare I say separate studios??

Probably not at this time since KLRT already operates in a studio separate from KARK. Nexstar built a replica of their old space shortly after the two stations' operations were combined a few years ago.

KLRT operates out of the other half of the KARK studio. When the stations merged KARK lost some of its set's elements and KLRT got a much smaller set. This is also why the station only has newscasts when KARK does not...

EDIT:

Via Facebook live: FOX 16 set will be updated this time next summer

I'm not excited about this. I think KARK's set looks better than most NEXSTAR sets. The colors aren't as blinding and it's more unique. If they're getting a more typical NEXSTAR set, it will be a downgrade.

I'm not excited about this. I think KARK's set looks better than most NEXSTAR sets. The colors aren't as blinding and it's more unique. If they're getting a more typical NEXSTAR set, it will be a downgrade.

That set was claustrophobic, dark, and aged poorly. Not to mention the layout seemed odd. That monitor wall was an abomination to look at given the huge bezels or frames or whatever on the monitors.

KARK seems to be one of Nexstars better-treated station. I doubt they'll get the cookie-cutter set that the smaller Nexstar stations have been getting, especially since that design is a few years old already.

Skip to 3:57 in the video to see the construction.

That's slightly disappointing, but that desk design seriously needs to die. It ain't cute. What's going on with that wall at the 4:30 mark? Is that the control room or a room within the studio? Their old weather center seemed to be behind the main set.

Also, I never realized that the KARK and KLRT sets were in the same room. Maybe it's just the way things looked in the video, but for a market the size of Little Rock, KARK has a gigantic studio.

It's rather sad how much they have taken away from FOX 16. Back in the day, I considered them to be the best in town. The news operation should've moved to FOX16's (former) space on Colonal Glenn Road. The space is still on the market. They would've had way more space and a better setup as well.

• 1 month later...
KLRT operates out of the other half of the KARK studio. When the stations merged KARK lost some of its set's elements and KLRT got a much smaller set. This is also why the station only has newscasts when KARK does not...

EDIT:

Via Facebook live: FOX 16 set will be updated this time next summer

...Well, the real reason why KLRT only has newscasts at timeslots when KARK does not is because of the FCC's current rules on SSAs (which may have been passed in accordance with the Telecommunications Act of 1996, that ironically led to some deregulation of broadcast television ownership rules), which count the programming of more than 15% of a station's weekly broadcast schedule toward the ownership limits for the owner of the brokering station in the agreement. That's probably the only rule that I wouldn't mind Ajit Pai and the FCC board actually eliminating (or at least increasing the weekly time-brokerage percentage to between 25% and 35% of the brokered station's weekly schedule), since it restricts the amount of news programming a station can offer, especially on Fox and minor network affiliates, and independent stations.

That's why "Fox 16" cut its 5:00 and 10:00 p.m. newscasts (but kept the 5:30 and 9:00 shows) when they merged operations, and why the morning show it launched at that time is only two hours long and airs only when KARK carries the first two hours of Today.

Looks like they have a new graphics package too which actually doesn't look too bad.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/searcy-restaurant-gets-green-light-to-serve-alcohol/791954552

It's the same one KETK got. It reminds me of that Scripps-looking Media General package

Same music too as KARK has replaced Evolution with Inergy.

EDIT: Here's video with the open included:

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/video?videoId=792022549&carousel=1&index=2

They have that nice five sea anchor desk and backdrop. But for some reason Nexstar seems to require those desks with the circular front (which Im sure doesn't look good or legible on camera). The only affiliates that should have anything close to that one desk are CBS or ABC stations. Beyond me how they'd make a peacock or the Fox logo look good.

Archived