Chuck Scarborough Stepping away from 11pm newscast

cbs2idiots

Curious why you think they won't last? They have great chemistry and are just fabulous in my opinion.

Sounds like WNBC is doing what WCAU is doing (after Chuck officially retires) having Natalie & Stefan do the 4, 6 & 11 pm (primary anchor team) while having Stacey & David remain on 11 am & 5 pm (secondary anchor team) . Natalie & Stefan won't last as long as Chuck & Sue did but would like to see them last together at least 5 years.

He's easing into retirement. Don't count on him picking up an earlier newscast or filing too many additional reports. This is a planned process often used to get viewers comfortable with not seeing him so that when he retires, it's not a sudden change. Having Holt fill in is part of that so, again, it's not a sudden change for him to be the permanent 11pm anchor.

WABC did this 18 years ago when they let Bill Beutel leave the 11pm newscast and Bill Ritter took over after being the primary substitute. Two years later, Beutel left fthe 6pm newscast, too, and Ritter took over while Beutel spent the final two years as a senior correspondent before retiring in 2003.

We did the same thing for my Grandpa...just eased him out of sight from the younger kids.

One day recently one of them asked (39 years later) "What happened to Grandpa?"...

I think I mumbled something about flushing him down the toilet like the goldfish...and I guess the kid bought the story.

Curious why you think they won't last? They have great chemistry and are just fabulous in my opinion.

Chuck and Sue's 32 years is a long time that will likely never be matched. Not that they can't be around for 5 or 10 years, or even longer, but not likely 3 decades.

We did the same thing for my Grandpa...just eased him out of sight from the younger kids.

One day recently one of them asked (39 years later) "What happened to Grandpa?"...

I think I mumbled something about flushing him down the toilet like the goldfish...and I guess the kid bought the story.

I actually LOLed.

Chuck and Sue's 32 years is a long time that will likely never be matched. Not that they can't be around for 5 or 10 years, or even longer, but not likely 3 decades.

The rate of movement in the industry, 10 years would be impressive. Maybe a better goal is probably 16 years of Bill Beutel & Roger Grimsby?

Chuck, is a legendary anchor no doubt about that, and he is the longest running anchor to keep his job for this long out of any lead male New York Anchor in our area. So its about time that they start stepping him down to allow a new face to take over. It would make sense that they give it to Stefan Holt because he is a relatively newcomer who can also essentially "take the baton" if you will to continue the legacy. David Ushery, although he's excellent too, he kinda already is established in the area and is a familiar face and he too is incredible so I think it makes better sense to give the position to a new face to really disrupt the ratings and test the waters if you will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Chuck will probably likely be at the station till he personally decides it’s time to go. WNBC seems to be allowing him that opportunity which I think is really nice on their part considering how much time he’s spent at that station. The longest tenured anchor in the New York.

Both 11 pm anchors are off for paternity/maternity leave, so it leaves WNBC in a bind and probably there is sharing among the anchors, as the same anchor team is on at 4 pm. I believe David Ushery was on earlier in the week at 11.

On the other hand, I think jumi needs a break. She supposed to be doing weekends. I think just leave it to at least Roseanne colletti or Rana Novini to fill in for Natalie. I'd love to see that.

The better bet would be to have Kerry Barrett handle 11am, 4pm, and 6pm, and have Stacey Bell handle 5pm and 11pm.

Whenever Chuck decides to call it a career, I'd like to see Sue come in to co-anchor with him for his final show, assuming she would want to as well and the powers at WNBC would allow it.

Whatever that happens, she will show up. Like it just happened almost 4 months ago when Gabe Pressman passed away. Then she knows what the f*** is she doing.

The better bet would be to have Kerry Barrett handle 11am, 4pm, and 6pm, and have Stacey Bell handle 5pm and 11pm.

You may see her in the mix next week. She is filling in for Darlene Rodriguez this week, who is down in PR covering that disaster. It impacts many tri state area families.

Archived