Chuck Scarborough Stepping away from 11pm newscast

cbs2idiots

Will be replaced by Stefan Holt. I wished it was David Ushery who would replace him at 11pm.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/wnbc-anchor-chuck-scarborough-drops-late-night-gig-article-1.3289710

That's unfortunate but I kinda suspected Stefan would be the one to replace Chuck at 11 after he had been the one to fill-in for Chuck and not David. I too wish it was David getting the 11 pm chair...oh well.

Will be replaced by Stefan Holt. I wished it was David Ushery who would replace him at 11pm.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/wnbc-anchor-chuck-scarborough-drops-late-night-gig-article-1.3289710

That's unfortunate but I kinda suspected Stefan would be the one to replace Chuck at 11 after he had been the one to fill-in for Chuck and not David. I too wish it was David getting the 11 pm chair...oh well.

If David keeps getting pushed aside, then he should just leave then. Its not fair to him to not get the weeknight promotion.

David initially was the primary fill-in at 6pm and 11pm. It shifted over time to Stefan.

As for him leaving, where is he going to go? He was already dumped by WABC and he'd be stupid to leave.

This makes a ton of sense. Stefan is already paired with Natalie at 4pm (and this leaves 11am and 5pm untouched). Makes logical sense when Chuck retires from the 6pm that it will go to Stefan as well. Stefan is the better bet for the long run as he is younger (and easier on the eyes and a better presenter).

I agree that it should be David, but it's not surprising... Stefan has been filling in for Chuck on Fridays over the last several months, he has been featured in many promos and has been working the 3pm-12am shift already, anchoring at 4 and reporting at 11pm. Seems like WNBC is looking at this long term and is hopeful their ratings can pick up in the evenings. Anyway, at least Chuck will still be on at 6.

David Ushery at 50 isn't getting the 11pm slot likely cause of his age so Jim Rosenfield at I think 58 likely isn't coming back to NY anytime soon. Jim Watkins, Dean Shepard and Jim Rosenfield all likely left cause they knew they likely wouldn't be anchoring at 11 at WNBC.

Well, Jim is sitting comfortably at WCAU; so I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

I can see David going to WCBS. He could join Dana Tyler at 6 and they can also co-anchor at noon.

David initially was the primary fill-in at 6pm and 11pm. It shifted over time to Stefan.

As for him leaving, where is he going to go? He was already dumped by WABC and he'd be stupid to leave.

This makes a ton of sense. Stefan is already paired with Natalie at 4pm (and this leaves 11am and 5pm untouched). Makes logical sense when Chuck retires from the 6pm that it will go to Stefan as well. Stefan is the better bet for the long run as he is younger (and easier on the eyes and a better presenter).

I see see David going to WCBS. He could join Dana Tyler at 6 and they can also co-anchor at noon.

I don't see that happening... That's almost exactly what he is doing now, Midday and Evening. If I were him I would be fine with working 9am-6pm Mon.-Fri. and anchoring two newscasts. 11pm is not as big of a deal as it used to be and Chuck will still be on as Chief anchor at 6pm.

It might not happen tho he might want to leave WNBC if he's unhappy about being passed over. Additionally it's possible that Maurice DuBois might become the anchor of the CBS Evening News and in that case David could become the 11 pm anchor. Who does WCBS have that can co-anchor at 11 if Maurice moves on to CBS News? With that said it's very possible that David will remain at WNBC for years if not decades to come.

I don't see that happening... That's almost exactly what he is doing now, Midday and Evening. If I were him I would be fine with working 9am-6pm Mon.-Fri. and anchoring two newscasts. 11pm is not as big of a deal as it used to be and Chuck will still be on as Chief anchor at 6pm.

If David does leave WNBC which remains to be seen a possible schedule going forward could be TINY and 11: Darlene and Michael. 4 and 6: Chuck and Stacey. 5 and 11: Natalie and Stefan.

It might not happen tho he might want to leave WNBC if he's unhappy about being passed over. Additionally it's possible that Maurice DuBois might become the anchor of the CBS Evening News and in that case David could become the 11 pm anchor. Who does WCBS have that can co-anchor at 11 if Maurice moves on to CBS News? With that said it's very possible that David will remain at WNBC for years if not decades to come.

I think Chris Wragge would go back to his old spot at CBS 2.

If David does leave WNBC which remains to be seen a possible schedule going forward could be TINY and 11: Darlene and Michael. 4 and 6: Chuck and Stacey. 5 and 11: Natalie and Stefan.

The idea of easing Chuck into retirement is why he is stepping down from the 11. I doubt he will want to pick up a relatively unestablished newscast (the 4pm). I'm sure he is being paid handsomely to anchor 22mins each night at 6pm.

The idea of easing Chuck into retirement is why he is stepping down from the 11. I doubt he will want to pick up a relatively unestablished newscast (the 4pm). I'm sure he is being paid handsomely to anchor 22mins each night at 6pm.

I imagine for him to keep that handsome paycheck will involve him coming in earlier than 3PM. I imagine they'll want him to do reports or packages from the studio.

Exactly. He isn't making 7 figures to do one newscast. He will likely either do that or perhaps he will anchor the 4pm newscast as well. He wanted to end his day earlier. If he wanted to retire he probably would retire. I wonder when he will step down from anchoring and when he does will he remain in a Gabe Pressman type role.

I imagine for him to keep that handsome paycheck will involve him coming in earlier than 3PM. I imagine they'll want him to do reports or packages from the studio.

Sounds like WNBC is doing what WCAU is doing (after Chuck officially retires) having Natalie & Stefan do the 4, 6 & 11 pm (primary anchor team) while having Stacey & David remain on 11 am & 5 pm (secondary anchor team) . Natalie & Stefan won't last as long as Chuck & Sue did but would like to see them last together at least 5 years.

He's easing into retirement. Don't count on him picking up an earlier newscast or filing too many additional reports. This is a planned process often used to get viewers comfortable with not seeing him so that when he retires, it's not a sudden change. Having Holt fill in is part of that so, again, it's not a sudden change for him to be the permanent 11pm anchor.

WABC did this 18 years ago when they let Bill Beutel leave the 11pm newscast and Bill Ritter took over after being the primary substitute. Two years later, Beutel left fthe 6pm newscast, too, and Ritter took over while Beutel spent the final two years as a senior correspondent before retiring in 2003.

Archived