New WPVI Set and Graphics

susquvalleywgal

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing as these dogs haven't showed up at non ABC owned stations makes me think this was special for the group. I'm sure other WSI customers would want it as well.

Now with the new set did they drop the Double Scan from their Storm Tracker 6 branding?

Now with the new set did they drop the Double Scan from their Storm Tracker 6 branding?

It's not visible as an on-screen brand anymore, but Melissa Magee did a weather hit yesterday where she identified it as "Double Scan" (and it did the little Double Scan radar swoosh) so there you go.

Sorry to see the crystal skyline element go away. It was a unique touch.

This set could be anywhere...

Nice desk, but the daytime backdrop graphic they're using is too busy. Should have gone seamless like KGO.

But then I was someone who liked their prior graphics.

Was going to reply to this thread last week but was quite busy.

Okay, where to begin...

The graphics. They're not good. The opens look like someone stole the Cinema4D files for Dr. Phil's show and made some minor changes. Those lower thirds are awful and I'm pretty sure if one of the station groups everyone on here loves to hate on adopted them (coughSinclaircough) we'd never hear the end of how awful they are. I don't know what the heck is going on at ABC, but they really need to just adopt a groupwide package that is a group effort of the creative departments of KGO and KABC (or, in other words, outsourced to Hothaus.) It's obvious that some of the other O&O markets can't be trusted to get their own packages (looking at you, 'PVI and WABC).

The set: It's a mid-2010's news set all right (not saying it's bad, just... cliche...) Covered in thin-bezel monitors. I'm waiting for someone to build a set out of nothing but monitors. Promax will go wild.

The music: My guess is the only reason they haven't dropped MCTYW is that it's very likely crazy cheap to license. It'll happen some day, probably around the same time some consultant tells them the music "trends old".

At this point, I doubt the music changes until the Coca Cola company decides Coke needs to be reformulated, again. And, I know that sounds like a crazy reach; but the outcome to freshening both formulas had the same outcome in the past. With the launch of this look there are many different theme bumpers in use, some based on the old bumpers... Some just out there...

I still want to see "what else" they do with the set when they take the training wheels off and use the entire set. Aside from some stories on the 10 news, moving around the studio has not been a part of their delivery.

It does seem like there are some missed opportunities within their video walls -- a friend pointed out it would be "neat" if the city hall clock on the main board would show current time, and the thermometer on the weather set was accurate (not just the base of the thermometer). One of those would be much easier to pull off than the other, methinks...

Okay, where to begin...

The graphics. They're not good. The opens look like someone stole the Cinema4D files for Dr. Phil's show and made some minor changes. Those lower thirds are awful and I'm pretty sure if one of the station groups everyone on here loves to hate on adopted them (coughSinclaircough) we'd never hear the end of how awful they are. I don't know what the heck is going on at ABC, but they really need to just adopt a groupwide package that is a group effort of the creative departments of KGO and KABC (or, in other words, outsourced to Hothaus.) It's obvious that some of the other O&O markets can't be trusted to get their own packages (looking at you, 'PVI and WABC).

The set: It's a mid-2010's news set all right (not saying it's bad, just... cliche...) Covered in thin-bezel monitors. I'm waiting for someone to build a set out of nothing but monitors. Promax will go wild.

The music: My guess is the only reason they haven't dropped MCTYW is that it's very likely crazy cheap to license. It'll happen some day, probably around the same time some consultant tells them the music "trends old".

Again, the music is an icon of the Delaware Valley and it wouldn't be Action News without it.

Okay, where to begin...

Thanks for the Dr. Phil reference. Now that's all I see when I watch.

As for the set - wasn't there already one that was essentially nothing but monitors - KDKA? I think it won some awards.

Okay, where to begin...

I agree 100%. This is about as modern and as good as you can get...for WPVI. Good for them for freshening up a bit, I guess, but there's nothing in here that's groundbreaking.

I will also add something beyond the visual...when I watched the A block of one of their midday shows last week or so, I thought the actual newscast was behind the times. I know Jim Gardner is a legend and what not, but whoever I watched on that noon show...her delivery was very wooden, and the writing did not sound good either. I heard the word "motorist" several times in one script. The whole "ACTION NEWS HAS LEARNED" stuff feels like contrived script you'd hear in the 70s before everyone started writing to sound more conversational.

The counterargument to all of this is that the not-so-groundbreaking or old stuff on WPVI is part of its charm. But you know what else is old? Rotary phones. I'm willing to bet WPVI's newsroom doesn't have rotary phones anymore. There's a reason for progress and for gravitating toward new, better things. This is not to say that I think they should dump the baby out with the bathwater by any means, but they're eventually going to need to do something about the "stuck in time" look and sound.

When I watch anything from WPVI, I get a feeling that's not too far off from whenever I see something from WJZ. Sure, I guess it works in that market where people are used to it, but just because it's #1 there doesn't mean it's necessarily a good product when viewed from anywhere else.

When I watch anything from WPVI, I get a feeling that's not too far off from whenever I see something from WJZ. Sure, I guess it works in that market where people are used to it, but just because it's #1 there doesn't mean it's necessarily a good product when viewed from anywhere else.

Wow. You just put to words what I've been thinking but have been unable to describe.

I wonder if the ratings would continue if you dropped the station in other ABC Owned markets like NY or Chicago - where things are a bit more progressive.

Wow. You just put to words what I've been thinking but have been unable to describe.

I wonder if the ratings would continue if you dropped the station in other ABC Owned markets like NY or Chicago - where things are a bit more progressive.

Probably not... it may work there but it looks moldy to everyone else...

Nothing to license as ABC owns it.

Okay, where to begin...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

From what I understand, ABC owns the package outright so there's really nothing for PVI to license.

Who cares if it would work in NYC or Chicago or suits some random critics on an internet message board? For the Delaware valley, they continue to be viewers' choice--usually overwhelmingly.

Until their demos age out... as soon as that starts to happen you can kiss that all goodbye...

Until their demos age out... as soon as that starts to happen you can kiss that all goodbye...

Thing is, demos here don't really are out. Channel 6 is a generational channel here in Philly. I mean it's been 30+ years at #1 overall and people have connectivity with them. You tell me what station listens to its viewers when they make a music change?

Thing is, demos here don't really are out. Channel 6 is a generational channel here in Philly. I mean it's been 30+ years at #1 overall and people have connectivity with them. You tell me what station listens to its viewers when they make a music change?

Exactly! People who don't live here just don't get it, do they? I'm 30, I watch Channel 6 because my grandparents watch Channel 6.

My Grandpa used to say...

"Grandma likes her orange drapes and carpet...what the hell do you want me to do about it?"

Some arguments you can never win...and that's ok.

Beside...my town used to have a chicken as a mascot.

My Grandpa used to say...

"Grandma likes her orange drapes and carpet...what the hell do you want me to do about it?"

Some arguments you can never win...and that's ok.

Beside...my town used to have a chicken as a mascot.

Then they fed it to the shark...

• 5 weeks later...

Month in and I'm still liking the set... it's startling to have such a bright backdrop behind the anchors, and it's especially nice to see behind Jim Gardner. Like TSSZNews said, they nailed it on the lighting.

I was wondering when they were going to use the standup area to the left of the desk, but I just saw them toss to Ducis doing a package on it as I was typing, so there's that.

I was wondering when they were going to use the standup area to the left of the desk, but I just saw them toss to Ducis doing a package on it as I was typing, so there's that.

The 4PM primarily utilizes that area. They'll have Brian and/or Sharrie read stories from there as well as in-studio reporters. Alicia stays at the Big Board though. The 4PM really is where the set gets to be put through its paces.

The 4PM primarily utilizes that area. They'll have Brian and/or Sharrie read stories from there as well as in-studio reporters. Alicia stays at the Big Board though. The 4PM really is where the set gets to be put through its paces.

I guess I should watch the 4PM some time then to see that. I don't usually feel the need to watch the news that early so I don't really know what they do.

• 2 weeks later...
Exactly! People who don't live here just don't get it, do they? I'm 30, I watch Channel 6 because my grandparents watch Channel 6.

I am 31 and grew up on WPVI/Action News. I concur that it is a mostly a generational tradition not really for outsiders to partake in. For instance... I moved away in 2006, got married along the way and then convinced my wife to finally settle down in this area by 2016. After more than a decade I found it both cathartic and nostalgic to sit down to an Action News broadcast again. I truly felt "back home", like it was the last missing piece of the puzzle.

During those first couple weeks of getting settled in, boy did Action News meet the wrath of my "outsider" wife. I received comments like:

"Who the hell do these people think they are"? "There is no news in this age that could possibly merit playing that type of anxiety laden fanfare."

Then she would proceed to make fun of it on random occasions by sarcastically reciting the trumpets and drum rolls while declaring: "Yes, we really need that music just to report on the fires and shootings of the day."

Worst of all, she is ethnic and should have no problem understanding the premise of this yet she continues to insult the news against that very purpose. A year in now, and she just busts out into laughter whenever she hears the intro to Action News. Sigh... Needless to say I was a bit hurt and realized in one of those moments that she would never "get it".

I am 31 and grew up on WPVI/Action News. I concur that it is a mostly a generational tradition not really for outsiders to partake in. For instance... I moved away in 2006, got married along the way and then convinced my wife to finally settle down in this area by 2016. After more than a decade I found it both cathartic and nostalgic to sit down to an Action News broadcast again. I truly felt "back home", like it was the last missing piece of the puzzle.

During those first couple weeks of getting settled in, boy did Action News meet the wrath of my "outsider" wife. I received comments like:

"Who the hell do these people think they are"? "There is no news in this age that could possibly merit playing that type of anxiety laden fanfare."

Then she would proceed to make fun of it on random occasions by sarcastically reciting the trumpets and drum rolls while declaring: "Yes, we really need that music just to report on the fires and shootings of the day."

Worst of all, she is ethnic and should have no problem understanding the premise of this yet she continues to insult the news against that very purpose. A year in now, and she just busts out into laughter whenever she hears the intro to Action News. Sigh... Needless to say I was a bit hurt and realized in one of those moments that she would never "get it".

Haha... although I don't think it deserves that type of reaction! Also funny that she hates it, yet hums the tune!

Archived