New WPVI Set and Graphics

susquvalleywgal

My only disappointment with the new set is that it would have been perfect for the 'Wall of America' technology Jimmy Kimmel Live uses to create a seamless backdrop. You would have thought by now some station would have plunged and gone with a wall-to-wall seamless display, but that tech still must be well out of a station's budget range.

I'm pretty sure the entire thing is a rear projection display which require significant space. If you remember the old WNBC set prior to their content center phase - that was a seemless RP display.

Edit: Not sure if he transitioned to LED panels. The back wall of the KABC set is entirely LED panels (but I don't think up to par like the ones NBC has used). One thing I notice when looking at the various LED video wall configurators that for most it takes a ernomous amount of space if someone wanted to do a simple 1920x1080 video wall. If you want higher resolutions the LCD panels or blended rear projection with a good video wall controller you could have 4K or higher resolutions fairly easily.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The reason is that despite being an ABC O&O, WPVI still manages to feel less corporate and more "Philly" than 3, 10, or 29, which feel like extensions of its corporate breatheren in New York. Also, it could be that WPVI established a product that worked and is still working to this day.

I don't buy the "corporate" thing, most people don't realize that O&O situation and don't pay attention to the local newscast when they say go to new york.

The things people make when they're bored...

As a side note, I just played the 1st video you shared there and my 10 week old puppy basically freaked out, dropped the bone he was eating and was then transfixed on the screen. MCTYW is truly something special.

As a side note, I just played the 1st video you shared there and my 10 week old puppy basically freaked out, dropped the bone he was eating and was then transfixed on the screen. MCTYW is truly something special.

Funny you just said that, because from reading it, I reminisced about a video where a dog howls (or in that case, sing) when he hears MCTYW.

Seriously...

I guess--like chocolate is their poison, this theme is like their form of hypnotism.

It really is that special.

It's the way they do staff turnover, I think. Jim, Rick, Monica, and Cecily have been there over 20 years, the morning team's been together for at least a decade, and even Walter Perez has been there since 2002 if I'm right. Everyone there - even Jim! - was eased in so seamlessly and gradually that most viewers came to accept them as part of the team. You're seeing that with the 4pm team even now. (I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Taff gets the coveted 6p/11p desk when Jim goes.) It doesn't seem like they have new people all of the time.

I think that'd be a big slap in the face to Rick and Monica if Brian gets the 6/11 when Jim retires. Anyway, I see it more likely they'll go to a two person anchor team at 6/11 when that happens (like they did on Sundays and like WABC did when Bill Beutel stepped down from the 11pm and then the 6pm respectively). I see Rick and Monica getting the 11pm, and Brian and Sharrie getting the 6pm.

I think that'd be a big slap in the face to Rick and Monica if Brian gets the 6/11 when Jim retires. Anyway, I see it more likely they'll go to a two person anchor team at 6/11 when that happens (like they did on Sundays and like WABC did when Bill Beutel stepped down from the 11pm and then the 6pm respectively). I see Rick and Monica getting the 11pm, and Brian and Sharrie getting the 6pm.

That's probably the likely outcome, especially if Sinclair wants to the the WPHL 10pm news (but that's a conversation for another thread).

(A little nitpick, though. Beutel never anchored the 11 solo, at least not on a permanent basis.)

Still some teething issues with the new graphics... the 10:30 half-hour started with an arrest investigation that was somehow an "AccuWeather Alert", and the 11pm started with a PHL17 bug (though the gaffe meant we did get to see the pretty cool entrance/exit animations for said bug...)

Still some teething issues with the new graphics... the 10:30 half-hour started with an arrest investigation that was somehow an "AccuWeather Alert", and the 11pm started with a PHL17 bug (though the gaffe meant we did get to see the pretty cool entrance/exit animations for said bug...)

Just rewound to see that wrong bug, the animations were pretty sweet!

The full screen graphics kind of remind me of those circa 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=60IHGxbwetY;m=16;s=25

Actually these graphics aged better than the set that was just replaced.

I am curious as to the what's powering the video walls, the background one seems like it could be a video player. They run a Viz shop and seem to have a lot of money so maybe an engine? (

Looks like Viz Engine.

[MEDIA=twitter]880406916152930304[/MEDIA]

The dog on the right looks like the same exact dog...

Are all ABC O&Os doing the augmented reality thing?

The dogs are probably part of the software. ABC and Disney both have money and could afford to record the dog in 3D but I don't see them doing it just to make weather a bit more interesting.

Hopefully that dogs owner has a good contract for the licensing of his likeness.

Hopefully that dogs owner has a good contract for the licensing of his likeness.

If the "cast members" at Disney can't design a generic dog for the sake of avoiding paying some idiot.....

I refuse to believe they would actually pay someone unless they just had to have that one special dog.....

Like Goofy or Pluto....or that nasty puppet dog with the cigars.

Here's the deal RKO...

I sure as hell don't know what the answer is...but it's one hell of a good question for someone at Disney. I would love to know the answer to that one.

If the "cast members" at Disney can't design a generic dog for the sake of avoiding paying some idiot.....

I refuse to believe they would actually pay someone unless they just had to have that one special dog.....

Like Goofy or Pluto....or that nasty puppet dog with the cigars.

Here's the deal RKO...

I sure as hell don't know what the answer is...but it's one hell of a good question for someone at Disney. I would love to know the answer to that one.

Use the "ABC7 Shelter Pet Of The Week"... or some other such happy horse thing...

Use the "ABC7 Shelter Pet Of The Week"... or some other such happy horse thing...

Now you want to add a horse thing?

A virtual horse?

Let's just wait for the storms and build a virtual Noah's Ark?

Archived