New WPVI Set and Graphics

susquvalleywgal

Just seems odd to me especially how well ABC's primetime fare has been lately. I wonder if there's been research done as to which stations newcomers to the city watch?

You probably have the thing right about feeling more Philly. What kind of community outreach does WPVI typically do? I think over time it will be a contested battle between them and WCAU like WJZ/WBAL. WCAU is getting there name on some high profile events and sports events.

Keep in mind I'm not bashing them. The ratings dominance just seems so rare it confuses me. They put out a good product but I don't see a lot of difference. They've certainly come a long way since the chroma key sets.

It's well produced but not terribly special or different... everybody adopted the same format eventually and a lot of dials have rusted in one spot over the years...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They now have 51 hours of news a week. Once upon a time, those hours included beloved local origin programming like AM Philadelphia or Captain Noah. Through the 80s and 90s other stations changed dramatically. Affiliations swapped. Meanwhile, There Goes That News Van... Again.

Other stations brought in Earthwatch. Six stayed with manic clouds. Around 2000 suddenly they got into the tech business, too; but never abandoned other things that linked them to the past. Action Cam, via satellite.... Sky 6.

Until the DTV conversion, you could hear WPVI on your car's FM radio -- hence the honking on City Ave during the outdoor weather hits.

It's a personality that fits the region. In the early 2000s Channel 10 had a sweeps story about a weatherman from 6 that died in a skydiving accident. In the 80s.

Community outreach? Yeah... They cover(ed) that too. They took over and own the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Until recently they were the media partner for the Welcome America coverage.

There is an old joke around here that when the world ends the WPVI Standby Screen will have the highest ratings... Just because.

They now have 51 hours of news a week. Once upon a time, those hours included beloved local origin programming like AM Philadelphia or Captain Noah. Through the 80s and 90s other stations changed dramatically. Affiliations swapped. Meanwhile, There Goes That News Van... Again.

Other stations brought in Earthwatch. Six stayed with manic clouds. Around 2000 suddenly they got into the tech business, too; but never abandoned other things that linked them to the past. Action Cam, via satellite.... Sky 6.

Until the DTV conversion, you could hear WPVI on your car's FM radio -- hence the honking on City Ave during the outdoor weather hits.

It's a personality that fits the region. In the early 2000s Channel 10 had a sweeps story about a weatherman from 6 that died in a skydiving accident. In the 80s.

Community outreach? Yeah... They cover(ed) that too. They took over and own the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Until recently they were the media partner for the Welcome America coverage.

There is an old joke around here that when the world ends the WPVI Standby Screen will have the highest ratings... Just because.

Very well said.

-- Matt

One other note about the set - is there even a duratran in the place? Most of that set has those LED panels instead of just duratrans and signs. It'd be really cool if/when they adjust them.

I know at least the banner above the big board is an LED panel. In one of the packages that showed some of the rehersals, that banner had a breaking news animation on loop.

Yeah, the only part that might be a dura is the AccuWeather logo over the weather computer bank. I initially thought the branding on the weather desk was a print, but it's a video panel, too.

I am disappointed to see the crystal city is no more. The new technology is awesome but there's just something I love about those glass cityscapes--all the way back to the one KHOU had in the late 90s-2000s.

I wouldn't be surprised if 6 kept it, and puts it in their lobby or somewhere in that building, and in the future it returns as part of another set.

It's the way they do staff turnover, I think. Jim, Rick, Monica, and Cecily have been there over 20 years, the morning team's been together for at least a decade, and even Walter Perez has been there since 2002 if I'm right. Everyone there - even Jim! - was eased in so seamlessly and gradually that most viewers came to accept them as part of the team. You're seeing that with the 4pm team even now. (I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Taff gets the coveted 6p/11p desk when Jim goes.) It doesn't seem like they have new people all of the time.

In contrast, the other stations tend to blow up their talent lineups every few years or so. 10's staff turnover was immense after Comcast took over and Anzio Williams came in as ND. Fox 29 brought in a ton of 10 people including their old GM, and 3... well, the less said about 3 the better.

One other note about the set - is there even a duratran in the place? Most of that set has those LED panels instead of just duratrans and signs. It'd be really cool if/when they adjust them.

Thank you.

As to the duratrans there may not be some by definition but in I believe Tafts Facebook live you could see something of the sort. There apppeared to be three panes set a foot apart. I forget what the back one was. But the middle was blue, and the front one was frosted glass.

Yeah, the only part that might be a dura is the AccuWeather logo over the weather computer bank. I initially thought the branding on the weather desk was a print, but it's a video panel, too.

Shame, they should have went with LEDs around the set. That way they could use any presentation space for whatever reason.

Shame, they should have went with LEDs around the set. That way they could use any presentation space for whatever reason.

Actually, the band above the weather computers is a video panel. I just looked back at the time lapse, and it goes on and off, and even animates, a few times.

No, that's a video panel as well. And the panel on the right with the temperature guage graphic? Yup, also a video panel.

...this set is great.

"Dog-mented" reality during the weather forecast.

[MEDIA=twitter]879819440078159881[/MEDIA]

They just did the same thing on the WPHL 10pm news.

This set is great.

GET RID OF MCTYW!!!!!! IT IS NOT 1977!!!!!! Also, the graphics aren't very good looking. Set is beautiful, though.

Nope. Don't need 'PVI to be a carbon mandated copy of WABC, KGO, KABC, or WLS...

Just gonna' leave this right here: ceramicdalmatian.jpg

= = =

As per the 11, it's unofficial nickname is Jimbo. Cecily wants to use rescue dogs... It will be interesting to see how easy they can sub in graphics. What was that I said about enough coffee...?

= = =

Ok, save for the morning block, two days into this look, still some growing pains on the graphics, but they did seem a bit more polished today in parts, with noted improvements around things like Twitter handles being visible longer than a blink of the eye, but still some issues with the ticker and conflicting L3s when showing an image of a person related to the story.

The PHL17 and circle 6 logos appear to (now?) be right-justified to line up with the edge of the degree symbol. Something still seems off there. Maybe they need to replace the pipe character as a divider between time | temp.

There are a lot more animations to the graphics package then I initially picked-up on yesterday. For example, the vertical lines on the L3 fill in proportionally to the text in the L3. Also, for lack of a better term, there are many watermark differences on a standard L3, Breaking News L3, and Developing Story L3...

It's kind of funny, there is an entire portion of the set that has yet to be used beyond the tour package.

Just gonna' leave this right here: ceramicdalmatian.jpg

= = =

As per the 11, it's unofficial nickname is Jimbo. Cecily wants to use rescue dogs... It will be interesting to see how easy they can sub in graphics. What was that I said about enough coffee...?

= = =

Ok, save for the morning block, two days into this look, still some growing pains on the graphics, but they did seem a bit more polished today in parts, with noted improvements around things like Twitter handles being visible longer than a blink of the eye, but still some issues with the ticker and conflicting L3s when showing an image of a person related to the story.

The PHL17 and circle 6 logos appear to (now?) be right-justified to line up with the edge of the degree symbol. Something still seems off there. Maybe they need to replace the pipe character as a divider between time | temp.

There are a lot more animations to the graphics package then I initially picked-up on yesterday. For example, the vertical lines on the L3 fill in proportionally to the text in the L3. Also, for lack of a better term, there are many watermark differences on a standard L3, Breaking News L3, and Developing Story L3...

It's kind of funny, there is an entire portion of the set that has yet to be used beyond the tour package.

Brian Taff yesterday said they would be phasing-in in the rest of it. My guess is they are still doing rehearsals for stand up shots, etc.

Woah. What is wrong with you?! MCTYW is life. It belongs on WPVI.

I agree with you. It's TIMELESS. It would be a disaster fest without MCTYW. MCTYW is supposed to stay on WPVI forever. WPVI taking a WKBW and not using MCTYW anymore is completely WRONG.

"Dog-mented" reality during the weather forecast.

[MEDIA=twitter]879819440078159881[/MEDIA]

They went up in my book as it was a shepherd.

Maybe it's the only dog they can have in that building. It seems like people over at 10 have their dogs there all the time.

The other thing that helps is that South Jersey is treated by WPVI as an equal to Philadelphia rather than just inconvenient 'boonies', unlike WCAU and NBC basically turning WMGM into failed Sonlife-carrying spectrum bait through force. Reinforcing it by reminding viewers they have news bureaus outside Philadelphia helps too, along with their skycam shots. ABC just does their O&O's right and respecting WPVI's legacy has helped a lot; compare to WXYZ going tabloid and everything WKBW after their sales.

My only disappointment with the new set is that it would have been perfect for the 'Wall of America' technology Jimmy Kimmel Live uses to create a seamless backdrop. You would have thought by now some station would have plunged and gone with a wall-to-wall seamless display, but that tech still must be well out of a station's budget range.

I agree with you. It's TIMELESS. It would be a disaster fest without MCTYW. MCTYW is supposed to stay on WPVI forever. WPVI taking a WKBW and not using MCTYW anymore is completely WRONG.

Nice foam...

Archived