New WPVI Set and Graphics

susquvalleywgal

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Their last set was a BDI job, so it makes sense WPVI went back to them for their new one. Great job!

Makes me wonder if WTVD will be next to get a new set.

I'm not surprised at all. For all of the new bells and whistles you can still see elements of the old set. It's not that much of a departure.

I'm surprised the graphics were an in-house job. They are by no means perfect, but someone taught them the value of restraint. There's no 3D beveled text flying at you, and the full screens look fantastic in 16x9. It's a hell of a lot better than the station up the turnpike, even though WABC said those graphics were out of house...

I'm not surprised at all. For all of the new bells and whistles you can still see elements of the old set. It's not that much of a departure.

I'm surprised the graphics were an in-house job. They are by no means perfect, but someone taught them the value of restraint. There's no 3D beveled text flying at you, and the full screens look fantastic in 16x9. It's a hell of a lot better than the station up the turnpike, even though WABC said those graphics were out of house...

That might be my favorite aspect of the new set, that it reminds me of the old in terms of materials, color and layout. They didn't reinvent the wheel, but they improved it where it was weak.

As for the graphics, they should turn all the gold into red, ship it up the turnpike, and call it a day.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the desk is HUGE. Look at how it comfortably sits five or six people:

[MEDIA=instagram]BVz7xT7lS8Z[/MEDIA]

Now anyword how they've handled the transition between newscasts that were done at the kids table? With a desk and monitor wall this size they could easily move to the side.

Not bad but a couple things stick out to me...

First the Scripps-lite blue 6abc thing that moves on the left is irritating...

I can do without the CNN looking L3's and the tabs are especially awful...

At the risk of being burned at the stake... the theme is so out of place with the graphics and the feel that it's absurd... if it sounded remotely News-like I could let it slide but it sounds like bad 70's TV.... probably time to redo it and give the old one a rest... it's served its purpose and now it's just dumb to keep it...

No offense, but I'm assuming you aren't from this area, so this is something you wouldn't understand, but no. The theme is timeless and sounds better than ever, IMHO.

All newscasts are being done at the big desk. I imagine the 4 and 10 would have more standup elements but they didn't do any of that today.

Watching the 11 and they're doing some interesting stuff with the graphics. They're still getting used to them but I liked seeing a video clip in the OTS. The graphics are a massive improvement over the previous set, so much it's not even funny.

(I still don't like how much those lowers can resemble what CNN uses...)

No offense, but I'm assuming you aren't from this area, so this is something you wouldn't understand, but no. The theme is timeless and sounds better than ever, IMHO.

They just mentioned people saying "don't change the music!" on the newscast. Cecily rather confidently said "not a chance".

Hell, they ran an image promo after the noon broadcast that said "we have our own theme music". It resonates with people here in a weird way. Not that there aren't detractors, though - my cell phone went off (yes, it has been my ringtone for years. Shut up) and one of my coworkers remarked how cheesy it was. Can't please everyone, I guess.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the desk is HUGE. Look at how it comfortably sits five or six people:

Now anyword how they've handled the transition between newscasts that were done at the kids table? With a desk and monitor wall this size they could easily move to the side.

So far Brian and Sharrie close out the 4 with a preview of the 5 and no toss to Rick and Monica (like when they were on temp set). However, there's a big video wall to the left (from our viewpoint) that could be used to close out the 4, and to the left of that is two vertical 4K TVs which Brian alluded to in his tour which he said they'll be opening the 4 from there and tossing to a reporter - they could also be used to close the 4.

The graphic color combination kind of reminds me of KABC.

I'll bet a lot of money that 6 is losing viewers like everyone else in the world... I understand perfectly that people have a connection to it... that doesn't make the music automatically not sound like it's from some goofy scene in Anchorman...

Here's what sets the new set apart from everyone else's in town save for maybe KYW's: The lighting is perfect.

Monitor banks can be a real disaster if they're not lit properly. It's especially difficult when live shots are in those monitor banks. I know 6 isn't using live shots in the main backdrop, but it's evident careful thought was put into those backgrounds, and the result is a beautiful feel consistent with the new graphics.

This look, like the last look, is unlike anything else in town, except this look deserves to last for years, and it will. It's the almost perfect blend of flat elements and 3D.

I like how several times during the tour segments, they keep focusing on the fact that all of the improvements are to tell "the story" -- I think it's easy to get lost in the fact that that's what they do, and even though "The Big Story on Action News" is cheesy, it really is what the news is all about. I can't wait till they start using it to tell stories in unique ways.

I guess the glass city is gone?

Interesting to me that they evolved the glossy cylinder look. If this were any other tv station in America, I would've expected something much flatter/trendier. But it looks good! L3s are a bit large for my taste but anything is better than the rounded-edge rectangle overload of the last L3 design--I don't care what anyone says that NEVER looked good.

The set is impressive but the highlight for me is the augmented reality weather. It's fascinating to me that despite all the technological advances in broadcast studios, the most important segment of the newscast is still produced as a long slideshow in most markets.

I am disappointed to see the crystal city is no more. The new technology is awesome but there's just something I love about those glass cityscapes--all the way back to the one KHOU had in the late 90s-2000s.

I heard it folds out ...and can sleep 10 people comfortably.

I heard they said they also installed new technologies? Is there a new workflow or control room system?

I am curious as to the what's powering the video walls, the background one seems like it could be a video player. They run a Viz shop and seem to have a lot of money so maybe an engine? (Hell I learned that WBAL added two Viz engines for their video walls last year).

I didn't know the augmented weather portion from The Weather Co worked with Vinten products. They debuted with a conjunction with Cambots. I imagine it's easy to do if the shots are locked off with no tracking or zoom.

Earlier it sounded like you guys were surprised at it being a two year process. I imagine they took eons to speak with designers for proposals. Then there's the buildout, technical acquisitions (cameras, software, lights) that all likely need to be worked and may not be able to have it done simultaneously.

Also I didn't know the augmented weather portion from The Weather Co worked with Vinten products. They debuted with a conjunction with Cambots. I imagine it's easy to do if the shots are locked off with no tracking or zoom.

Are they running multiple jibs?

I ask because locking down those cameras is swell and good...IF you have a lot of other cameras to play with.

I'll bet a lot of money that 6 is losing viewers like everyone else in the world... I understand perfectly that people have a connection to it... that doesn't make the music automatically not sound like it's from some goofy scene in Anchorman...

Again, you're not from the area, so I don't think it's something you'll understand. Not trying to be a prick, it's just how it is here. They tried changing the music once before and I think we all know how that went.

Sorry if this comes off as hostile, not my intention at all.

Interesting to me that they evolved the glossy cylinder look. If this were any other tv station in America, I would've expected something much flatter/trendier.

...snip...

The set is impressive but the highlight for me is the augmented reality weather. It's fascinating to me that despite all the technological advances in broadcast studios, the most important segment of the newscast is still produced as a long slideshow in most markets.

Remember, their old building was a cylinder itself...

I think the irony with their new weather center was summed up well by Cecily, they've come a long way. They really only went to the slide-show fully in the last few years, and at one point opted for a projection shot instead of Chromakey. I'd kind of like to see Dave Roberts make a cameo in the new studio just once. Maybe have Mr. Six float in and wave. Would be worth the laugh.

I wonder if they have any abilities to use the Augmentation capabilities for non-weather events? I have seen the BBC, for example, use it during elections to show maps not unlike temperature trends... I guess with enough coffee you could make anything fit.

Remember, their old building was a cylinder itself...

I think the irony with their new weather center was summed up well by Cecily, they've come a long way. They really only went to the slide-show fully in the last few years, and at one point opted for a projection shot instead of Chromakey. I'd kind of like to see Dave Roberts make a cameo in the new studio just once. Maybe have Mr. Six float in and wave. Would be worth the laugh.

I wonder if they have any abilities to use the Augmentation capabilities for non-weather events? I have seen the BBC, for example, use it during elections to show maps not unlike temperature trends... I guess with enough coffee you could make anything fit.

Yes, someone mentioned they would trying it out during election coverage.

Again, you're not from the area, so I don't think it's something you'll understand. Not trying to be a prick, it's just how it is here. They tried changing the music once before and I think we all know how that went.

Sorry if this comes off as hostile, not my intention at all.

It wouldn't be Action News without the theme song! I remember one promo about the theme song, a group of people on the street saying "Action News is Philadelphia, and Philadelphia is Action News!" And then they burst into humming the theme song.

How many other news theme songs can you stop people on the street and they can hum/sing it?

It wouldn't be Action News without the theme song! I remember one promo about the theme song, a group of people on the street saying "Action News is Philadelphia, and Philadelphia is Action News!" And then they burst into humming the theme song.

How many other news theme songs can you stop people on the street and they can hum/sing it?

Also common at high school marching band shows, especially if 6 is there covering the game/event. Oh, and the Roots on the Tonight Show tend to bust it out from time-to-time, especially if the guest has a Philly connection.

I think the thing is that people from out of market don't understand how a station that's seemingly the same as most others dominates the ratings. Sure there's continuity of anchors and reporters but what else?

I think the thing is that people from out of market don't understand how a station that's seemingly the same as most others dominates the ratings. Sure there's continuity of anchors and reporters but what else?

The reason is that despite being an ABC O&O, WPVI still manages to feel less corporate and more "Philly" than 3, 10, or 29, which feel like extensions of its corporate breatheren in New York. Also, it could be that WPVI established a product that worked and is still working to this day.

The reason is that despite being an ABC O&O, WPVI still manages to feel less corporate and more "Philly" than 3, 10, or 29, which feel like extensions of its corporate breatheren in New York. Also, it could be that WPVI established a product that worked and is still working to this day.

Just seems odd to me especially how well ABC's primetime fare has been lately. I wonder if there's been research done as to which stations newcomers to the city watch?

You probably have the thing right about feeling more Philly. What kind of community outreach does WPVI typically do? I think over time it will be a contested battle between them and WCAU like WJZ/WBAL. WCAU is getting there name on some high profile events and sports events.

Keep in mind I'm not bashing them. The ratings dominance just seems so rare it confuses me. They put out a good product but I don't see a lot of difference. They've certainly come a long way since the chroma key sets.

Keep in mind I'm not bashing them. The ratings dominance just seems so rare it confuses me. They put out a good product but I don't see a lot of difference. They've certainly come a long way since the chroma key sets.

It's the way they do staff turnover, I think. Jim, Rick, Monica, and Cecily have been there over 20 years, the morning team's been together for at least a decade, and even Walter Perez has been there since 2002 if I'm right. Everyone there - even Jim! - was eased in so seamlessly and gradually that most viewers came to accept them as part of the team. You're seeing that with the 4pm team even now. (I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Taff gets the coveted 6p/11p desk when Jim goes.) It doesn't seem like they have new people all of the time.

In contrast, the other stations tend to blow up their talent lineups every few years or so. 10's staff turnover was immense after Comcast took over and Anzio Williams came in as ND. Fox 29 brought in a ton of 10 people including their old GM, and 3... well, the less said about 3 the better.

One other note about the set - is there even a duratran in the place? Most of that set has those LED panels instead of just duratrans and signs. It'd be really cool if/when they adjust them.

Archived