New WPVI Set and Graphics

susquvalleywgal

All I have to say is ... WOW. It finally feels like we are watching the #1 station in the market, and one of the top in the country!

I'm not a super fan of the weather font, but WHOA that augmented reality! Was not prepared for those stats to just pop up out of nowhere!

The lighting is better. The video screens, holy cow. It's mostly FINALLY wide-screen friendly.

This is so much better than I was expecting. And yet, still feels familiar in a way that only Channel 6 can do.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now. That is what I'm talking about.

Love the open. Graphics are fine with me. Love the augmented reality weather!

Only pet peeve for me is the location of the logo on right hand side of screen. Move that to the left just a bit or two. Congrats Action News on your new look. Much needed.

-- Matt

I like the set. The graphics are an improvement but I feel that it needs to be expanded to the video wall. Additionally I bet those white floors will be scuffed up in no time even if the cameras are stationary. And speaking of cameras it appears they got new ones. In the old set prior to the move they used the small box type and now they're using Grass Valleys that can be transitioned to hand held.

What they just unveiled is the reason why WPVI is one of the tops in this country. It still has all the traditional elements with 2017-esque graphics. Well done to WPVI! They're still one of my favorites in this country.

Well they were certainly giddy about it -- I think I heard Sarah say it was two years in the making, but I wondered later if she meant two weeks. Looks like they will have many more options than a "kiddie table".

As for the L3/bugs; hopefully there are some tweaks. I am happy to see time and temperature are the same font. They also don't need to respawn for "ACCUWEATHER / and METEOROLOGIST" like they have had for ... almost ever. [edit] However, the transition between twitter handle and a more-static ACTION NEWS is way too fast. [end edit]

Also like that they have opened up the crayon box a little more and let some other rich colors into the mix.

Not bad but a couple things stick out to me...

First the Scripps-lite blue 6abc thing that moves on the left is irritating...

I can do without the CNN looking L3's and the tabs are especially awful...

At the risk of being burned at the stake... the theme is so out of place with the graphics and the feel that it's absurd... if it sounded remotely News-like I could let it slide but it sounds like bad 70's TV.... probably time to redo it and give the old one a rest... it's served its purpose and now it's just dumb to keep it...

After watching bits and pieces of the afternoon news (just got home from work), I'm convinced 615 did some new arrangements, or even did a whole package around the theme. They're using a lot of new musical cuts in bumpers and stings and they don't sound as "library".

Cost would definitely be an issue, but I think a complete re-recording of the original would be a great thing to try. Not a remix, not a fancy orchestral arrangement (though I honestly don't dislike the '96 theme), but a note-for-note, exact copy of the 70's version. Find a way to extract the vocals from the original, and boom, their asses are covered from logical criticism. I only suggest this because any of those bumpers and stings that HulkieD is referring to sound so out of place, and bringing everything in line would make for a cohesive sound.

Not bad but a couple things stick out to me...

First the Scripps-lite blue 6abc thing that moves on the left is irritating...

I can do without the CNN looking L3's and the tabs are especially awful...

At the risk of being burned at the stake... the theme is so out of place with the graphics and the feel that it's absurd... if it sounded remotely News-like I could let it slide but it sounds like bad 70's TV.... probably time to redo it and give the old one a rest... it's served its purpose and now it's just dumb to keep it...

Thou shall not pass. Suggest cutting MCTYW anywhere public in Philadelphia and you can be sure that some snowballs will be thrown at you. ( I am a die-hard Philadelphia sports fan so I can say that.)

I think, 20 years later, they are still gun-shy about doing anything to the news theme. They even had the MCTYW lyrics at the Noon 'cast today, and I almost picture them slating that first before adding anything to the rundown. The various Social Media accounts had a few people "demanding" a return to the previous set (of course, hard to tell if they meant the temp version, the original Studio 1, or what, or, option 3; just trolling).

To me the ticker looks most out of place, and perhaps mis-sized. It does not seem to fit the flatter look they have adopted, And still has the problem with Action News / 6ABC overload. I also had a lot of odd ghosting, especially around I characters in the scroll.

As HulkieD mentioned, there are abundant new music cues. Some of it reminded me of WNEP's version of the theme at times...

I'm not sure how they can balance the time & temp bug. Adding a "F" after the degree symbol would help, somewhat.

Obviously, they need a few days to work some of the kinks, miscues, and other random issues that cropped up.

I do wonder how 10 feels about this, and if any thunder was stolen from their pending move to the Comcast Center. Fifty-three HDTVs, anyone? :)

Finally... Jim told Cecily she was Augmented... then stopped. Ah, Jim.

This might be WPVI's best set since the one they had in the late 90s, early 2000s. This new set is simple, elegant, and current. Comparing this new set to the one that preceded it, the old set seemed overstuffed with the etched Action News logo, the second anchor desk, the weather center, etc. WPVI nailed every aspect of what a news set should consist of and not go crazy with different gimmicks. I noticed the augmented reality when it comes to the AccuWeather forecasts, but I love the fact that they went back to the video wall presentation of the weather, an homage to the late 90s, early 2000s set. I would not be surprised if this set lasts a good 8-10 years for them. Note to 10: If 10 wants to be first, they must beat the best and this set alone shows why 6 has been the best for so long.

Everybody is doing weather at the wall these days... it's not a homage...

According to Newscast Studio it was Broadcast Design International.

Their last set was a BDI job, so it makes sense WPVI went back to them for their new one. Great job!

Makes me wonder if WTVD will be next to get a new set.

Archived