New WPVI Set and Graphics

susquvalleywgal

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That could be file footage.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a new graphic element though. The font (Avenir) fits with a revised StormTracker 6 logo that was shown during the weather forecast, and those new weather headers that just began showing up on 6's website.

I'm interested in seeing how this shakes out. It's clearly NOT the California look... but it DOES seem an awful lot like what you'd see on the network. I wonder if the network was brought in to design this?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a new graphic element though. The font (Avenir) fits with a revised StormTracker 6 logo that was shown during the weather forecast, and those new weather headers that just began showing up on 6's website.

I'm interested in seeing how this shakes out. It's clearly NOT the California look... but it DOES seem an awful lot like what you'd see on the network. I wonder if the network was brought in to design this?

That same 'Utah' tag was on WLS story tonight, so I'm not holding my breath.

As for the weather graphics, they're okay. As always, I'll reserve judgement until I see everything, but I'm not holding out hope that the new graphics will be an improvement, per se. Also, the '8's REALLY bother me.

tristatesatrad10_1280.jpg

northeasttemps_1280.jpg

Naturally they're in the temporary set. Expect it to debut later for the afternoon broadcasts.

I wonder what they'll do with the monitor wall. It's still pretty new - maybe break it up and update the sports area (do they still do sports from the office)?

The "Action News Sports Center" made some appearances this weekend... that monitor wall would be an improvement.

Editing to add: On his Facebook video update, Murph said Noon is when the set launches, and promised cool new weather graphics. (For those that wish to tune in, he mentions at about 9:12 remaining on this morning's video)

The 10am web update has the new graphics.

[GALLERY=media, 1007]WPVI Open by RGSJenkins posted Jun 26, 2017 at 10:09 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1008]WPVI Web update L3's by RGSJenkins posted Jun 26, 2017 at 10:09 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1009]WPVI scene transition by RGSJenkins posted Jun 26, 2017 at 10:09 AM[/GALLERY]

It looks better. Not spectacular. But better. I want to see the whole look in action before I make my full judgment.

The lower thirds look disturbingly CNNish to me, unfortunately. I hope that's not an example of what that type of l3 will look like on the main broadcasts - and the digital updates do use different equipment, so the look is sort of different - but we'll see.

One thing of note, they used a countdown to go into the digital update and the music they used sounds like a new promo theme by 615. I'm not sure if it's part of the existing promo/breaking news package, but I sure haven't heard it before. (And no, they're not replacing the regular theme - after the countdown they played the beloved bumper cut, so MCTYW isn't going away!)

My two cents on the new/updated GFX and logo:

These sure are continuing the cylinder look from the last.

I don't love these at first, but I do really like them.

Can't wait to see these more in action (heh?) when the new set debuts later.

God this these graphics are absolutely terrible. The lowers are way too big and look like they were lifted from a 90s tabloid news show. They just showed the weather center which consists of a video wall and utilizes WSI's 3D virtual elements.

Now watching the Noon.

This new graphics package is much slicker and quicker than the last.

Lots of dark blues and yellows with small other lines of colors, and a much better utilization of the cylinder concept.

I think I'm in love. A brilliant look here. I think we'll probably hate in another six years, I'm sure too. ;)

Six minutes in and I am very impressed.

Graphics still maintain the swooshy animated style but look a hell of a lot cleaner. While I don't like how some of the lower thirds remind me of CNN, it's an improvement over what they had.

Weather stunned me. David Murphy did his hit in front of a monitor display, but they now have augmented reality, so graphics are flying out of the floor.

They showed a quick look at the new set via time lapse. There is a new big board, so if people were wondering about that, there you go...

God this these graphics are absolutely terrible. The lowers are way too big and look like they were lifted from a 90s tabloid news show. They just showed the weather center which consists of a video wall and utilizes WSI's 3D virtual elements.

They aren't terrible, but the lowers are a little big.

They aren't terrible, but the lowers are a little big.

The choice of fonts is bad too. Avenir isn't a really good broadcast font. It's like they wanted to use Gotham but since 3 is using it, they didn't want to look like a copycat so they picked that instead.

The new set looks so nice. Much brighter and cleaner (duh) than the last.

So many screens, yes, but I think the producers/anchors/reporters

will use them to their full advantage like they use the Big Board to death.

The lighting is different (much brighter and breathier); I'll get used to it, but it looks nice.

Such a big change here, but will definitely pay off in the coming days.

Archived