Network logos absent from station logos

AJClementeFan69

Noticed the CBS eye has been taken out of WINK's graphics package.

It's always seemed more common for CBS affiliates to not prominently feature the eye in their logos...but I'm wondering if we'll see a trend towards stations across all affiliations identifying less with the network.

Seems like things were moving in the opposite direction up until recently (Tegna shoehorning network logos into WWL, WFAA, etc.)

I know Cox has always been big on forging a separate identity for their stations. WPXI is one of the few NBC affiliates without the peacock. WSB, WFTV, WSOC also with ABC (who must not mandate the logo anymore).

Curious to see which stations are still forgoing the network logo (outside of background elements/etc.) in their news programming.

WBNS has to be one of the prettier examples.

Any examples of de-networking logos lately?

In Memphis, WMC didn't have the NBC peacock in its logo until a rebrand a few years ago. They still frequently use an alternate version of that new logo without the peacock, though. WREG also doesn't have the CBS eye in its logo.

I still love how WTMJ did it; make the NBC Peacock so small, it's indiscernible unless you look really close, but it's there to meet the barest of NBC's regulations.

When did ABC bring the logo mandate? Because WYTV had one missing an Alphabet.

When they introduced the current logo variation in 2013.

That is odd that WINK is doing that given that it's call letters are associated with their network's logo.

The calls were introduced on their radio sister in 1944, long before anyone ever thought to image the CBS TV network.

Does NBC even mandate it? WPXI wouldn't be in compliance...neither would WRAL (at least during its news programming).

Or WDTN for that matter, I guess. Looks like they're one of the few that's de-peacocked.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WDTNTV/videos

I believe the ABC mandate was a thing but is no longer. Otherwise the Cox ABC stations wouldn't be in compliance. Not sure if any other ABC affiliates don't use the network logo.

EDIT: WQAD doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WQADnews8/videos

Neither do KOCO or WAPT or KHBS/KHOG, at least in their news graphics. I thought Hearst was mandating network logos, but maybe that was just at WISN (where the addition kind of looks sloppy IMO).

https://www.youtube.com/user/wapttv

https://www.youtube.com/user/kocotv

https://www.youtube.com/user/4029tv

I believe the ABC mandate was a thing but is no longer. Otherwise the Cox ABC stations wouldn't be in compliance. Not sure if any other ABC affiliates don't use the network logo.

The rule is as long as you don't redesign, you can keep a logo without the ABC ball. WQAD snuck their redesign under the deadline, and those Hearst stations haven't (though the larger stations like WTAE, WISN and WCVB seemed to do it voluntarily; WAPT also has an ABC-fied version, along with Cox's WFTV), and there has to be social media allowances at the minimum so that they don't have to crowd their profile picture with multiple elements. At the very least they have to have a version ABC-fied for promo and lower-third uses (even forever-stubborn WNEP has a 16abc logo version). WSB seems to get away with the ABC logo pasted in the same point size and their dominance in ATL is definitely the very definition of 'exception to the rule'.

The rule is as long as you don't redesign, you can keep a logo without the ABC ball. WQAD snuck their redesign under the deadline, and those Hearst stations haven't (though the larger stations like WTAE, WISN and WCVB seemed to do it voluntarily; WAPT also has an ABC-fied version, along with Cox's WFTV), and there has to be social media allowances at the minimum so that they don't have to crowd their profile picture with multiple elements. At the very least they have to have a version ABC-fied for promo and lower-third uses (even forever-stubborn WNEP has a 16abc logo version). WSB seems to get away with the ABC logo pasted in the same point size and their dominance in ATL is definitely the very definition of 'exception to the rule'.

Didn't WFTV recently redesign its graphics package? Or is it if you redesign your logo?

I'm going to add my two cents here since this appears to the the applicable thread. If it doesn't, ah well! Here I go:

If we're talking from a mainstream scenario, the whole "de-networking" trend simply would not work. Overall, it's a very tricky complication to execute; it was meant for a select number of stations who designed their logos with these factors taken into consideration. In the day and age, we are seeing more and more stations stray away from this basic notion, and it's becoming increasingly harder for this trend to materialize because of that.

A major point about "de-networking" a station logo is that the "base logo" or "icon" (usually the stylized channel number or call sign) must be able to independently and aesthetically operate as a uniquely, identifiable icon. For the average viewer, this means that the icon itself must be distinctively recognizable without the usage of a network logo or a callsign for additional context. In fact, there's already a couple stations that designed their logos with the "standalone" aspect in mind, therefore, a "de-networking" transition would be seamless. Here's a couple station logos that would work under this trend.

Take into consideration: WDIV, KUSA, and KING.

If I were a viewer in their areas, I would be able to recognize these logos instantly. Why? It's very simple: they were able to effectively identify a station using a memorable icon without the sustaining of a call sign or a network logo. This process alone would theoretically allow greater flexibility among these stations creative-wise. Imagine all of the endless possibilities with marketing, colour schemes or graphics. It perfectly aligns with the design trends of today, where application of a logo take precedent.

Unfortunately, there's also a flip side to things. For starters, it is with regret to inform you all that we are dealing with the local news industry of the United States - they have a historic track record with interesting station logos. That said, there will be an inevitable amount of stations that may have a weak or missing base logo, and there will be stations blindly jumping into the trend without any consideration of their current branding efforts. You may have stations with a bland callsign typeface, or a bland channel number - both of which will needs context, making their efforts to "de-network-ify" entirely void. WINK is already a very great example considering that the CBS eye practically supported the logo from looking virtually weak with its stretched Helvetica typeface.

Furthermore, there's also other stations with amazing channel number icons like WRC or WCBS (Futura era duh). However, their icons cannot be sustained by itself without the usage of a callsign or a network logo simply because it does not have enough context to be distinguished among the average viewer. If someone displayed a Helvetica number 3 or a Avenir number 8, how will the average viewer be able to know they are icons for KYW or KGW? This is ultimately meaning there will be stations, O&O or group-owned, that technically could not "de-network-ify" in any way, no matter what their efforts can bring. I haven't even touched the fact regarding the small markets, how station logos are overall designed, and the obvious network-mandated logo guidelines already in place, stifling the entire "de-networking" trend for a good number of stations.

It would appear the lesser evil would be to "app-ify" or condense a station logo, right? That is: the applicable station icon paired with the network logo. Although not a trend, it's not a better solution in no way. Just look at all of the ABC 7's out there.

In other words, "de-networking" a logo only works to select stations who are equipped to do so, it's not one-size-fits-all approach. If it was, some would look pretty bad, or get into a conflict with their contracted network guidelines. In spite of it all, let's just hope this trend doesn't blow up like fidget spinners or the BBC Ten O' Clock News. :p

I'm going to add my two cents here since this appears to the the applicable thread. If it doesn't, ah well! Here I go:

If we're talking from a mainstream scenario, the whole "de-networking" trend simply would not work.

In other words, "de-networking" a logo only works to select stations who are equipped to do so, it's not one-size-fits-all approach. If it was, some would look pretty bad, or get into a conflict with their contracted network guidelines. In spite of it all, let's just hope this trend doesn't blow up like fidget spinners or the BBC Ten O' Clock News. :p

The networks have acted so flaky that you really can't blame stations from de-netting. Best to have a clean logo up and running..or risk getting caught with your dick in your hand after a sudden network abandonment..

• 5 weeks later...

WEWS was without the ABC ball until 2009. In the Phoenix area, the opposite thing is being done. Although KPNX's 12 itself (also used by WKRC and KFVS) stands out compared to KNXV's 15, KPHO's 5, KSAZ's 10 and KTVK's 3, every station is netted. 12 News is the least netted, but then there's ABC 15, CBS 5, and Fox 10 (although Fox 10 is a mandate by Fox). And independent KTVK's 3TV sounds rather generic. They used to be NewsChannel 3 until 2005. I'd be a little upset if KPNX took a WWBT or KXTV and rebranded to NBC 12. In the Baltimore area, every station is netted. WBAL is the least netted (11 News), but despite WJZ being WJZ 13, they have a CBS logo next to their 13 (a CBS O&O mandate), although their Group W-style 13 could stand out by itself. Then you've got WMAR's ABC 2 (with a logo similar to KNXV, another Scripps station) and WBFF's Fox 45 (another Fox mandate). Every station in the Washington DC area is also netted. And this is not counting NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, and the SF Bay Area, where most stations are O&Os, and most stations in those markets are netted. Then there's the PBS stations who are the least netted, although there are several exceptions. In the Columbus, Ohio area, WBNS used to be netted (although they are 10TV instead of CBS 10, though that sounds similar to KTVK), however then there's WSYX's ABC 6, WCMH's NBC 4 (though that might be because they used to be an NBC O&O) and WTTE's Fox 28 (Fox mandate).

WTHR definitely de-networks in a way. While the graphics in the news opens do contain the NBC logo, the WTHR logo generally just says "13 WTHR" and nothing else. Some use of it, but minimal. I give you this video of WTHR's open from my channel:

As you can tell, minimal use of the network logo.

WTHR definitely de-networks in a way. While the graphics in the news opens do contain the NBC logo, the WTHR logo generally just says "13 WTHR" and nothing else. Some use of it, but minimal. I give you this video of WTHR's open from my channel:

WOOD-TV only shows the black NBC peacock symbol when they use the WOOD-TV logo.. but for all newscasts, special airings, etc, they use the 24-hour News 8 moniker and logo with no NBC peacock.

WGN had never included a WB or CW logo in their newscasts while they were affiliated with both. They did during syndicated programming, though.

WSVN.

No FOX next to it on programming or on newscasts or on special programming, not even during syndicated programming.

No FOX logo on it's official logo too.

The only FOX logo SVN includes is on the back of the big red sign outside their studios.

Isn't it required to have the NBC logo on a NBC station's logo.

WGN had never included a WB or CW logo in their newscasts while they were affiliated with both. They did during syndicated programming, though.

The only FOX logo SVN includes is on the back of the big red sign outside their studios.

I've seen their sign before and I believe its only by the bottom. Otherwise, its not connected to the Circle 7 logo in any way.

Archived