New set for WCBS

Ryanthenewsgeek

Anyword where the live backdrop is located. Looks like it's from Top of the Rock? I know NBC doesn't control the roof but you would think they'd have the exclusive rights to use it. I'm sure other stations would like a camera there as it shows all the major NYC landmarks.

But it's always better to make cash money off your competition right?

You don't see CBS keeping other stations from using "Eyewitness News" do you?

Heck yes...license that stuff out...make the cash.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the background image is the same as Chris' goodbye post. To be honest, the rear monitor projections has always been a still image, not a live image. Not to mention the morning show seems to always use the same sunset photo.

Living in LA, I don't love the KCBS set. KABC and KNBC's set are better... but I hope WCBS made some changes to their version of the KCBS set.

I hope they didn't add the on set green room and the interview set with the old WCBS artifacts.

I agree to some extent. It's not a bad set by any means, but it does feel a little boring in that the shots used for 90% of the newscast show nothing more than the monitor wall. It's not a whole lot more than those monitor walls at sharp angles, and it ends up feeling a little flat.

The idea of emulating the CTM set with station memorabilia is a cool one, but I don't think it's executed as well as it could be. The whole point of the CTM set is that 1) it's all real, and 2) there's no couch. I don't think I've ever seen them use the green room area, which is obviously nothing more than two sheets of glass with no ceiling over it, so it looks fake and pointless from the get-go. What's also strange is that KCBS' morning show is very loose and "wacky," and it ends the last block at 6:59 with four anchors yucking it up about the kicker on a couch before tossing to CTM, a show that is the antithesis of that format by design. I don't know what the ratings look like for LA morning shows, but if they're struggling, I can see why.

The best O&O set is still WBZ's. Yes, it has a big monitor wall, but it's broken up with a bunch of other interesting elements. Their new desk is odd, but the rest of it all looks great pre- and post- refresh. The WBZ set with the KCBS/KOVR/WFOR/WBBM/WCBS desk would be nearly perfect.

Looks decent, but it's a shame they're going from a seamless projection backdrop to a monitor array.

Seamless projection takes up a lot of space in the back. there are issues with alignment when a bulb is changed and lower resolution for a similar amount of space. A monitor array requires less space and you get more resolution. I wouldn't be surprised if their old projection screen behind home base was just one projector.

Seamless projection takes up a lot of space in the back. there are issues with alignment when a bulb is changed and lower resolution for a similar amount of space. A monitor array requires less space and you get more resolution. I wouldn't be surprised if their old projection screen behind home base was just one projector.

Right, but LED broadcast displays have greatly decreased in cost and increased in quality over the past few years, so that would have been a more future proof option. Case in point, WABC's arrays are misaligned and miscalibrated, and look pretty terrible.

Right, but LED broadcast displays have greatly decreased in cost and increased in quality over the past few years, so that would have been a more future proof option. Case in point, WABC's arrays are misaligned and miscalibrated, and look pretty terrible.

One thing designers don't take into account is that they expand and contract which can cause misalignment. There are some that can auto calibrate themselves if they're connected together.

One thing designers don't take into account is that they expand and contract which can cause misalignment. There are some that can auto calibrate themselves if they're connected together.

they DO account for it... every news set with monitor walls i've been on has had 2-3mm gaps between all the screens to account for expansion and gives clearance to remove part of the array if one dies... which happens a LOT more often than you might think... most of these stations have one or two screens on standby for when one inevitably dies... the backs are taped off with gaffers tape to keep light from leaking between them...

projection screens take up a lot of room and kick off a lot of heat and noise... and they're a pain in the a$$ to set up... these aren't your classroom projectors we're talking about here, these things can be 90+ lbs and several feet wide... with swappable lenses that can be nudged on accident... not careful changing the bulb and you can knock the whole thing out of alignment...

they DO account for it... every news set with monitor walls i've been on has had 2-3mm gaps between all the screens to account for expansion and gives clearance to remove part of the array if one dies... which happens a LOT more often than you might think... most of these stations have one or two screens on standby for when one inevitably dies... the backs are taped off with gaffers tape to keep light from leaking between them...

projection screens take up a lot of room and kick off a lot of heat and noise... and they're a pain in the a$$ to set up... these aren't your classroom projectors we're talking about here, these things can be 90+ lbs and several feet wide... with swappable lenses that can be nudged on accident... not careful changing the bulb and you can knock the whole thing out of alignment...

Sorry I based it on a NewscastStudio article. Trying to find right now.

Edit: The tweet was taken down, here's a screenshot:

[MEDIA=imgur]a/XiYKp[/MEDIA]

XiYKp

I do like that there's more color than KCBS's set. Looks like the left display doesn't have joins in it, FWIW.

I agree to some extent. It's not a bad set by any means, but it does feel a little boring in that the shots used for 90% of the newscast show nothing more than the monitor wall. It's not a whole lot more than those monitor walls at sharp angles, and it ends up feeling a little flat.

The idea of emulating the CTM set with station memorabilia is a cool one, but I don't think it's executed as well as it could be. The whole point of the CTM set is that 1) it's all real, and 2) there's no couch. I don't think I've ever seen them use the green room area, which is obviously nothing more than two sheets of glass with no ceiling over it, so it looks fake and pointless from the get-go. What's also strange is that KCBS' morning show is very loose and "wacky," and it ends the last block at 6:59 with four anchors yucking it up about the kicker on a couch before tossing to CTM, a show that is the antithesis of that format by design. I don't know what the ratings look like for LA morning shows, but if they're struggling, I can see why.

The best O&O set is still WBZ's. Yes, it has a big monitor wall, but it's broken up with a bunch of other interesting elements. Their new desk is odd, but the rest of it all looks great pre- and post- refresh. The WBZ set with the KCBS/KOVR/WFOR/WBBM/WCBS desk would be nearly perfect.

WBZ is the Best CBS O&O set? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm Surprised CBS hasn't Copied the KDKA-TV News Set for the Rest of its CBS O&Os. That Set is Truely the best of all the CBS O&O stations.

The Emmys are Sunday night. I'll put $100 on it...because none of you know where to go to collect.

I remember the last time CBS had the primetime Emmys (2013), WCBS and KYW debuted their new graphics and Enforcer NG4 simultaneously.

Could it happen again with a WCBS-WBBM simultaneous set launch on Sunday Night?

I remember the last time CBS had the primetime Emmys (2013), WCBS and KYW debuted their new graphics and Enforcer NG4 simultaneously.

Could it happen again with a WCBS-WBBM simultaneous set launch on Sunday Night?

Are all O&O's not doing the time/temp now for the 11pm? I've noticed KCBS and KPIX aren't using it. It looks so naked without it.

Are all O&O's not doing the time/temp now for the 11pm? I've noticed KCBS and KPIX aren't using it. It looks so naked without it.
So does KDKA as well.

[GALLERY=media, 1027]Kdka 1 by Kenneth Kissel posted Sep 14, 2017 at 12:27 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1028]Kdka 2 by Kenneth Kissel posted Sep 14, 2017 at 12:27 PM[/GALLERY]

I know WBBM still uses it on the late news, and WCBS does, too, last I checked.

As for the set, I only saw the very beginning of the newscast, but the angle and (other camera terms) used seemed to make the set look small. Maybe that's just me.

I just watched some Instasnaps of the new set and the studio now looks smaller. Maybe they're using the other half of the studio as 'Studio 55'?

46 and 55 are two completely separate studios.

The old set was positioned differently and it took advantage of the length of the studio (desk was opposite the door), the new one uses the width because it's such a wide set (the door is to camera right)

The CBS Broadcast Center site doesn't list dimensions but it's probably around 3500sqft, which is bigger than NBC's 3K. 46 is just rectangular which will make it look small when shot towards the long wall.

Archived