KCNC does their own Eyeopener

C Block

I didn't want to put this in the Graphics section because this about more than graphics. I haven't watched KCNC's morning show in a long time, but I saw this on Twitter that they are doing a local emulation of CBS This Morning's Eyeopener:

Not sure if they run it for any other hours or half hours. I'm guessing no because running it more than once would probably be overkill. The editing maybe isn't a slick as CTM's, and I wish they used CTM's music instead of the Enforcer, but otherwise, I think it's a great idea for the 6am A block.

Does anyone else do this, O&O or affiliate? KCBS doesn't, and I don't think KPIX does either.

WBNS has been doing it since they rebranded as 10 This Morning - a local version of CTM.

EH born and raised in Columbus never really cared for Wolfe Banks News & Shoes. For CMH to be market #32 it always seems to act like a much smaller market. I do hope The Wolfe family sells and shake up the market as well. Have to give them credit BNS' product always looks top notch, but IMO Yolanda Harris doesn't seem to fit their brand identity, but she has the top Q-score though.

Yes, BNS does eye-opener for the morning news, and KCNC version very nice.

KEYE/Austin has done it since they rebranded their am newscast as "CBS Austin This Morning." Runs multiple times during the show. A bit repetitive for me, but their numbers are up in the mornings so some folks must like it ... even though they are still in 3rd/4th place.

KEYE/Austin has done it since they rebranded their am newscast as "CBS Austin This Morning." Runs multiple times during the show. A bit repetitive for me, but their numbers are up in the mornings so some folks must like it ... even though they are still in 3rd/4th place.

They once were K•EYE-Opener News in that timeslot, so it's kinda fitting for them!

I didn't want to put this in the Graphics section because this about more than graphics. I haven't watched KCNC's morning show in a long time, but I saw this on Twitter that they are doing a local emulation of CBS This Morning's Eyeopener:

Not sure if they run it for any other hours or half hours. I'm guessing no because running it more than once would probably be overkill. The editing maybe isn't a slick as CTM's, and I wish they used CTM's music instead of the Enforcer, but otherwise, I think it's a great idea for the 6am A block.

Does anyone else do this, O&O or affiliate? KCBS doesn't, and I don't think KPIX does either.

These are all nice and slick, but who is getting tasked with putting this together? If you can have a dedicated show editor great...but in most stations there is no extra body able to build this stuff.

Thanks for the responses. I thought some other affiliates did it, but I don't think any O&O has tried it yet. Anyone have any links to some of the other ones? It'd be interesting to see how they pull it off.

Also, KCNC's nationalization of the show open is interesting too. I recorded it the wrong way so I only have it in 4:3:

35435970776_f3f54604bd_c.jpg

These are all nice and slick, but who is getting tasked with putting this together? If you can have a dedicated show editor great...but in most stations there is no extra body able to build this stuff.

I was thinking the same thing. I was a little surprised to see someone try to pull off the same idea on a local level.

In my experience, dayside and nightside editors are more slammed than morning editors, but each station's workflow is different. But I don't think many stations would be able to pull this off except for in bigger markets in the off chance that they might have an extra editor to crank this out.

Also notice how in the KCNC one above, most of the SOTs are taken from in-house video sources, including even from earlier in that same newscast. It doesn't feel like a sampling of all kinds of different media like what CTM's feels like, but then again, CTM hires several editors/producers whose job is solely to put together the Eyeopener. They have the resources to hunt through all kinds of video on CNN, FNC, Colbert, et al to put together something that's a potpourri of SOTs.

In my experience, dayside and nightside editors are more slammed than morning editors, but each station's workflow is different. But I don't think many stations would be able to pull this off except for in bigger markets in the off chance that they might have an extra editor to crank this out.

Also notice how in the KCNC one above, most of the SOTs are taken from in-house video sources, including even from earlier in that same newscast. It doesn't feel like a sampling of all kinds of different media like what CTM's feels like, but then again, CTM hires several editors/producers whose job is solely to put together the Eyeopener. They have the resources to hunt through all kinds of video on CNN, FNC, Colbert, et al to put together something that's a potpourri of SOTs.

Exactly...

Cuz those CTM pieces are not slammed.

Don't get me wrong there are some good mid editors out there that can produce and edit this stuff, but you really do need all that sourcing and a decent producer to write this up, and make it sing like CTM does.

What scares me is somewhere out there is an ND or EP saying "we can do those too"...

We know how that ends.

KCNC is sufficiently far behind I think they could take clips or cues from the CTM one? Maybe if this catches on cbs will provide a selection of clips.

KCNC is sufficiently far behind I think they could take clips or cues from the CTM one? Maybe if this catches on cbs will provide a selection of clips.

You are on the right track but,

Let CBS/CTM feed one with some "black holes" so they can be localized in a few quick edits...some simple drop-ins

Make the network do most the work.

What scares me is somewhere out there is an ND or EP saying "we can do those too"...

We know how that ends.

Excellent point. Actually, I think that's exactly what's happening here. If the Denver Post is to be believed, KCNC has slipped from a solid #2 to third or even fourth place in some timeslots. I only half pay attention to what's going on in Denver, but it seems like every time I check in to see what's on KCNC, they seem to have a new tagline or gimmick for every book. It looks like they started doing their own Eyeopener in April or so, and they've also tried doing a number of talent changes as well. Sad that they feel like they have to keep rearranging the deck chairs because I've always thought their actual news product isn't that bad as it is.

They're not that far behind. CTM starts at 7am ET, which is 5am MT. This local Eyeopener airs at 6am MT, so that would only give an hour to sift it all together. Plus, I don't know about CBS, but chances are they aren't given a clean feed of CTM. That means you'd have CTM's graphics and music burned into it.

It's possible that they could upload a clean version of the Eyeopener (no music or graphics) to Newspath, perhaps even as a 'donut' version where there would be spaces to insert things. But again, how many stations would actually use that? As we've seen in here, there are only a handful of CBS affiliates doing their own Eyeopener as it is, and each one probably wants to edit things a little differently everyday. And from the network's point of view, they're already giving their affiliates hours and hours of clean video on Newspath everyday from which they can choose and edit anyway they want. Well, almost anyway they want...

They're not that far behind. CTM starts at 7am ET, which is 5am MT. This local Eyeopener airs at 6am MT, so that would only give an hour to sift it all together. Plus, I don't know about CBS, but chances are they aren't given a clean feed of CTM. That means you'd have CTM's graphics and music burned into it.

Watching the official CBS TM eye opener from today and KCNC's it looks like the side bug saying "CBS4 This Morning" looks like it lines up graphic used. In the network.

KPIX has done something similar - a few years ago - I'll try to find my recording and upload it here. They did not use the enforcer theme, but had something else (Eyeopener bed used by CTM?). Stay tuned...

KOVR does it except its not an eye opener, instead they put in the CTM logo in the KOVR bug but transitions back and forth from it. they also do this thing where they fade from CTM to KOVR this morning.

You are on the right track but,

Let CBS/CTM feed one with some "black holes" so they can be localized in a few quick edits...some simple drop-ins

Make the network do most the work.

Seeing as how this is now a thing, I'm surprised CBS/CTM didn't go this route in the first place.

Of course, there's only one 'JZ, so who knows what in the heck KC Robertson will crank out with the stretched out to oblivion Helvetica...

Honestly, a donut Eyeopener sounds like a very good way to subtly promote CTM. And knowing CBS, they want to promote it at every opportunity.

I'm still not sure whether it's a great idea. Where should the hole go in the Eyeopener? At the beginning or in the middle? What should lead the Eyeopener: national or local? That's probably a decision best left on the local level. Each station is different. Each market is different. Each news day is different. I'm not saying it could never happen, but it seems like an idea that sounds great on paper, but it would probably end up being something pretty impractical that few affiliates ever would use. If they want to do their own Eyeopener, the have the capabilities to do it better than any mega-editor at network in New York. Clearly, a handful of stations already have decided they can edit together their own Eyeopener without help from the network.

I'm still not sure whether it's a great idea. Where should the hole go in the Eyeopener? At the beginning or in the middle? What should lead the Eyeopener: national or local? That's probably a decision best left on the local level. Each station is different. Each market is different. Each news day is different. I'm not saying it could never happen, but it seems like an idea that sounds great on paper, but it would probably end up being something pretty impractical that few affiliates ever would use. If they want to do their own Eyeopener, the have the capabilities to do it better than any mega-editor at network in New York. Clearly, a handful of stations already have decided they can edit together their own Eyeopener without help from the network.

Just offer a 10 second hole each day where I can drop in a nat sound bite or just some local vo-nats with the CTM music bed already underneath....or two :10 sec holes one for WX also.

But hell.. a decent video editor can make his/her own holes and doctor the CTM product with ease, you just need a little time.

Wishful thinking on my part. It's the easy stuff people have forgotten about.

Notice that several of the stations in question are Mountain/Pacific time zone, where they can catch the live feed from the east coast, then customize as necessary - heck CTM may provide the video without the bed for them to quickly edit in a local story or two or three...

J

Just offer a 10 second hole each day where I can drop in a nat sound bite or just some local vo-nats with the CTM music bed already underneath....or two :10 sec holes one for WX also.

But hell.. a decent video editor can make his/her own holes and doctor the CTM product with ease, you just need a little time.

Wishful thinking on my part. It's the easy stuff people have forgotten about.

They could do two different types of localized CTM EyeOpeners for affiliates:

1) Said opener Eat just described. That would be best suited for small-market affiliates or medium-sized affiliates on "slow news days."

2) Two donuts for larger affiliates and O&Os, which can also be used in the event of a large-scale event (or one of international interest) said small-market or medium-sized affiliates would be covering. Those donuts ought not to be consecutive.

It wouldn't be that hard to do; CBS/CTM only needs to prioritize what goes in the localized EyeOpener and determine what is "optional" content that's donut worthy.

And while I thought about CTM also offer a donut-free generic open, it would basically defeat the purpose of the EyeOpener on CTM in the first place...

1) Said opener Eat just described. ..

2) Two donuts for larger affiliates and O&Os,. Those donuts ought not to be consecutive.

Now I'm hungry for donuts...

(yeah, yeah...insert Homer donut image here)

Archived