New set for NBC Nightly News

rkolsen

If that is the main anchor desk, man what a change. No more L like shape, and no view of 3A from the desk. Although it looks pretty high near the front, wonder if Lester will stand? In that case, the original L shape is back, plus a view of the newsroom.

There's definitely room for at least 2 to sit, but yeah, it's quite a departure from the huge desk that they (and ABC) have been using. I'll reserve judgement until I see it on air...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lester Holt posted the following pictures on his Instagram account today. On the second picture, there appears to be a view into 3A, with the newsroom columns that are shown in the background occasionally on MSNBC. Will be interesting to see how the set plays into anything MSNBC does.

822462457_ScreenShot2017-07-14at10_08_12AM.thumb.png.41e511d469a070b2dca36ff8804b3aae.png

1486453617_ScreenShot2017-07-14at10_08_07AM.thumb.png.8adddef0c9e7151793c2ad967d98eb99.png

Lester was seated for about 4 minutes the whole broadcast, too much walking around if you ask me. I wasn't very impressed by the Anchor Desk backdrop, the video quality was very low giving the words on screen an unintentional blurry effect. Hopefully they'll stop walking around so much and the excessive panning, it all just about gave me whiplash. Although with all the moving around, it'll be harder for them to have continuity with the weekend broadcast, that's if Kate remains in 4E or in a flash set.

I assume one effect of the smaller studio is shot is the shorter throw distance with the LED panels is moire pattern. From what I understand if it was shot further back there wouldn't be visible pixelation. Most notably is when Lester is at the desk.

Studio 3A doesn't have that problem and I imagine 3C has the same if not better models and the only difference imagine is production space.

Other than that they make great use of the limited space and like the 3 walled alcove in what I assume was WNBC's weather center. I imagine the door is still there as the video wall is broken up in three pieces (like 3A the left most panel as the "garage) where the opposite wall behind the anchor desk is in one piece and atleast the same width.

Strange... no newsroom/ 3A shots tonight. Also, is it me or did Lester seem to be all over the set tonight, wondering if it will always be like that or if they will eventually settle back to 2-3 presentation areas per show. The set looks good though.

Lester was seated for about 4 minutes the whole broadcast, too much walking around if you ask me. I wasn't very impressed by the Anchor Desk backdrop, the video quality was very low giving the words on screen an unintentional blurry effect. Hopefully they'll stop walking around so much and the excessive panning, it all just about gave me whiplash. Although with all the moving around, it'll be harder for them to have continuity with the weekend broadcast, that's if Kate remains in 4E or in a flash set.

I noticed the blurriness as well when he was sitting at the desk. Perhaps that is why he sits at the desk so sparingly, because they know it doesn't look good. What I found interesting is that the desk was shifted in the pictures we saw earlier today and yesterday.

This set is fantastic. Well-made, well-lit, well-utilized.

I honestly don't mind the walking theatrics for every other story (either to see what works best to begin the stories, or just because); they all look good to me.

As for why they chose a Friday to debut the new digs, I guess to give it a test run to see what works best (yes, even though this was the official start-off date). Either that or they couldn't wait to use it as soon as possible.

Either way, a very nice nook for Nightly News.

I think we'll see newsroom shots regularly. Tonight Steve Kornacki was sitting in Studio 3A getting ready to go on filling in on Hardball. Plus, they probably were showing off the set tonight. Hopefully they'll become more stationary in the future, hopefully with the newsroom serving as home base.

Strange... no newsroom/ 3A shots tonight. Also, is it me or did Lester seem to be all over the set tonight, wondering if it will always be like that or if they will eventually settle back to 2-3 presentation areas per show. The set looks good though.

Like all new sets, the "new" factor will wear off eventually and people will get tired of certain things. Lester will complain about moving too much and they'll go back to 2-3 areas per show thing.

Could an admin please fix this thread. It was split from a more general thread about msnbc and 2nd Studios getting a facelift than it was re merged together weirdly.

I split it last night, but then realized earlier today that the thread was only about the new Nightly studio anyways so I re-merged the thread and changed the title... Nothing seems weird to me?

It all looks pretty nice and is an improvement. Would we have expected anything less from NBC?

Only thing I can say is that I am surprised they let this shot through. It's amazing nobody thought the video fidelity of that wall would be an issue that close to the desk. If there were one shot you wouldn't want to fuck up for Nightly News, it would be this one — tight shot at the desk in front of a video wall.

35887883006_5870764dae_c.jpg

I hope they also get around to using the newsroom shot. It looks nice in the pictures.

It all looks pretty nice and is an improvement. Would we have expected anything less from NBC?

Only thing I can say is that I am surprised they let this shot through. It's amazing nobody thought the video fidelity of that wall would be an issue that close to the desk. If there were one shot you wouldn't want to fuck up for Nightly News, it would be this one — tight shot at the desk in front of a video wall.

35887883006_5870764dae_c.jpg

I hope they also get around to using the newsroom shot. It looks nice in the pictures.

Something must have happened there. It doesn't look to me like the wall is displaying imagery 1x1 (where each pixel of the image represents one pixel on the wall). It looks like a low res image is being scaled up to fill the high res wall. You can kinda see how jagged the edges of the letters are... But that's not because of the pixel pitch. It's the image itself doing it. (FWIW: I've worked with a few video walls and concert-style LED panels in the past)

I'm sure this will get fixed.

I'm sure this will get fixed.

Oh I'm sure it will. Or if the display really has a lower resolution, then they can always do an OTS graphic/text superimposed with a less busy graphic on the video wall behind.

Also, debuting this set on a Friday in July screams "soft launch" to me. I'm sure they'll tinker with it in the next few weeks.

Like all new sets, the "new" factor will wear off eventually and people will get tired of certain things. Lester will complain about moving too much and they'll go back to 2-3 areas per show thing.

I split it last night, but then realized earlier today that the thread was only about the new Nightly studio anyways so I re-merged the thread and changed the title... Nothing seems weird to me?

Oh, your right. My bad. I just kind of assumed, I probably conflated it with the other msnbc thread, the name just threw me off.

Archived