New set for NBC Nightly News

rkolsen

I'll keep this close but someone I follow that operates technical equipment during several MSNBC shows posted an Instagram story. It showed a large floor to ceiling video wall with the Nightly News logo and next to it an exposed wall where you see pipes bending up to the ceiling. But in front of those pipes is a horizontal monitor wall.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the image that I saw (and won't share until I get permission) it seems like this studio is going with the industrial skyscraper look. It has exposed pipes and beams like the newsroom studio 4E has while maintaining video wall technology.

It's time to put the current Nightly studio to rest. It's usage of lighting, projection panels and wood tones are practically stale and/or god awful for television.

Screen-Shot-2011-10-23-at-12.27.31-AM.png

If it weren't for the various refreshes they made in years past, we wouldn't be mentioning "age" or any sort of mind boggling issue. This studio was simply marvelous for the time, unfortunately NBC had other things in mind.

Sad.

Now I wish I screengrabbed this one now disappeared Instagram story from a producer for Greta Van Sustren. The show was in NYC yesterday and she posted a video of her work space. She was working right where the weather center was. So she did a quick pan showing Greta in the studio side and then moved to her makeshift workspace. It showed the area that formerly housed Brian William's breaking news cube opened up and cleared out. In the brief second it made me think they were opening back up the window between 3A and 3C.

Edit: Found the image of the breaking news box.

IMG_4249.thumb.PNG.bf6277ec6180d0f09c991f9d065ad47c.PNG

Now I wish I screengrabbed this one now disappeared Instagram story from a producer for Greta Van Sustren. The show was in NYC yesterday and she posted a video of her work space. She was working right where the weather center was. So she did a quick pan showing Greta in the studio side and then moved to her makeshift workspace. It showed the area that formerly housed Brian William's breaking news cube opened up and cleared out. In the brief second it made me think they were opening back up the window between 3A and 3C.

Edit: Found the image of the breaking news box.

[ATTACH=full]4086[/ATTACH]

Is the picture you found previously similar to what we see in the picture above? I'm working sources to see what I can find out

Is the picture you found previously similar to what we see in the picture above? I'm working sources to see what I can find out

You see what looks like pipes to the left of the pillar in the middle and the black rectangle on the right? Definitely similar to the picture I'm keeping private.

So is Nightly returning to 3C? Seems a little weird that they refreshed 3C for MSNBC after WNBC left, only to scrap it several months later.

I'm not sure if Nightly is going there.

I imagine that 3C was rehabbed for MSNBC because they lost access to studio 4E while it was being prepared for the election.

From the image that I saw (and won't share until I get permission) it seems like this studio is going with the industrial skyscraper look. It has exposed pipes and beams like the newsroom studio 4E has while maintaining video wall technology.

From this image you saw, did the studio look like it was under construction? If not, it's possible they just threw up the Nightly News graphics for a story or a live shot. Interesting stuff, please let us know if you find out more.

So is Nightly returning to 3C? Seems a little weird that they refreshed 3C for MSNBC after WNBC left, only to scrap it several months later.

The 3C "refresh" was done for fairly cheap... The monitor wall very likely was made up of the monitors they bought for that set when WNBC moved into 3C, but management replaced the original monitor wall with the "vertical plasma window wall" the other O&O sets went on to use.

Studio space is always at a premium at 30 Rock, it's not really surprising they want 3B back for something else... It made sense to have Nightly AND Rock Center in there, but they're not even using the half of the studio where Nightly used to be now. The current set wastes a ton of valuable space.

I wish they could just go back to the 2007 3A and 3C sets. They were classic and timeless in my opinion. Sure, they could have updated the monitors a little bit, but MSNBC has made 3A so boring with those wrap around video walls. I think they will soon discover what the BBC discovered with their mid-to-late 2000s domestic sets — a set made of nothing but video walls makes for very boring presentation, especially for a rolling news channel.

From this image you saw, did the studio look like it was under construction? If not, it's possible they just threw up the Nightly News graphics for a story or a live shot. Interesting stuff, please let us know if you find out more.

Definitely under construction. There was a lift and floors were covered for protection.

The 3C "refresh" was done for fairly cheap... The monitor wall very likely was made up of the monitors they bought for that set when WNBC moved into 3C, but management replaced the original monitor wall with the "vertical plasma window wall" the other O&O sets went on to use.

Studio space is always at a premium at 30 Rock, it's not really surprising they want 3B back for something else... It made sense to have Nightly AND Rock Center in there, but they're not even using the half of the studio where Nightly used to be now. The current set wastes a ton of valuable space.

Trouble editing the previous post to include this one.

From some of the videos I've seen the other half of 3B seems to be a storage area.

3A has been using less and less of the newsroom backdrop and has erected curtains/ temporary walls to section themselves off. I first thought this was due to a lack of bodies with people being upstairs, but it could be a sign of renovations taking place.

Well folks, here is your confirmation:

"I have just looked into Studios 3A and 3C and can report to you that 3C IS being completely remodeled . . . for Nightly News! That's right, Nightly is moving back to Studio 3C. The set construction is well underway. And you are also correct that the two studios are once again connected. The wall that had separated them is gone. In fact, regarding the photos of the Studio 3C 'flash' studio I released yesterday, this flash news space has also been redone and is open through to Studio 3A. I have photos of the construction, but in keeping with policy, I cannot reveal them at this time."

Archived