[Canada] More local news on CTV this fall

ED2

CTV has announced that it is adding 5PM newscasts at CTV stations in Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Northern Ontario, Kitchener, Ottawa, and Montreal.

In addition, which I think is long overdue, CFTO/CTV Toronto will also see a 5PM newscast in the form of a simulcast with CP24's Live at 5/5:30.

CTV already has local 5PM news in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, and Atlantic Canada.

Going back to CFTO, I hope their 5PM simulcast is successful enough that they look at offering a simulcast in the mornings before Your Morning.

CTV has announced that it is adding 5PM newscasts at CTV stations in Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Northern Ontario, Kitchener, Ottawa, and Montreal.

In addition, which I think is long overdue, CFTO/CTV Toronto will also see a 5PM newscast in the form of a simulcast with CP24's Live at 5/5:30.

CTV already has local 5PM news in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, and Atlantic Canada.

Going back to CFTO, I hope their 5PM simulcast is successful enough that they look at offering a simulcast in the mornings before Your Morning.

Already mentioned this on International Out and About.

Already mentioned this on International Out and About.

A station group adding news across the country is probably worthy of more than a "general thread" mention.

But then again this is Canada so I would assume this thread won't gain much traction.

Sigh...

A station group adding news across the country is probably worthy of more than a "general thread" mention.

But then again this is Canada so I would assume this thread won't gain much traction.

Sigh...

That's why I put it in the general International Out and About thread because I know this one, along with the Citytv thread, won't gain much attraction.

• 2 weeks later...

Addition by subtraction.. CFCF 12, umm CTV Montreal has joined the growing list of CTV affiliates cancelling sportscasts. Longtime Sports Director Randy Tieman, anchor/reporter Brian Wilde, and weekend anchor Sean Coleman was ousted today. Only a matter of time until Bell pulls a Sinclair and creates it own "News Central" format. CJNT (Citytv Montreal) would be smart to snap up any or all of 3 axed today for their fledgling news operation next year. (Wilde's wife, former CFCF 12er Debra Arbec is the evening anchor at crosstown CBMT CBC 6, so maybe they can find room so he could reunite with her on the screen)

http://blog.fagstein.com/2017/06/20/ctv-montreal-cancels-local-sportscasts/

Only a matter of time until Bell pulls a Sinclair and creates it own "News Central" format.

Despite all of the events that's happening with Bell and CTV, they will never consider pulling a Sinclair on their highly profitable Cancon asset. It would imply that CTV News is weakening both in ratings and production, which is simply untrue - except for those under CTV Two. We need to remember that they are the news leader in Canada. Top ratings across key markets and production levels up to the highest quality.

What we need to worry is with Global because they *already* pulled a Sinclair. Everything is automated from Toronto. They're producing local noon and late night newscasts from Toronto. Content from local morning programs are being shorten to allow the ever increasing national opt-ins from Toronto.

Despite all of the events that's happening with Bell and CTV, they will never consider pulling a Sinclair on their highly profitable Cancon asset. It would imply that CTV News is weakening both in ratings and production, which is simply untrue - except for those under CTV Two. We need to remember that they are the news leader in Canada. Top ratings across key markets and production levels up to the highest quality.

What we need to worry is with Global because they *already* pulled a Sinclair. Everything is automated from Toronto. They're producing local noon and late night newscasts from Toronto. Content from local morning programs are being shorten to allow the ever increasing national opt-ins from Toronto.

Not on the big 3 western stations, (Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary). They still have their local morning, noon, and 11 PM news. Vancouver and Edmonton also produce newscasts for other markets.

I wouldn't rule out CTV or any other broadcaster in Canada to do the same things Global is doing just because they're #1. They may have been last to install control room automation compared to everyone else, but they did it. Heck, CBC is already using a Toronto control room to produce Edmonton's news, and I'm sure that will be rolled out to other CBC stations soon.

• 1 month later...
CP24's Live at 5 and 5:30 is now being simulcast on CTV Toronto

Unrelated, but that CTV News Toronto promo looks snazzy and fresh.

The only opposing point is that said clip is constantly replayed to compensate for lost ad time and dead air.

Welp.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, the station does need to promote their news product.

I also noticed that CTV Toronto isn't running any promos for Live at 5/5:30. All their news promos promote CTV News at 6:00.

I also noticed that CTV Toronto isn't running any promos for Live at 5/5:30. All their news promos promote CTV News at 6:00.

If one were to watch CP24 right now, they'll get promos for Live at 5, but no promos for CTV News at Six or 11:30 - programs that were simulated on CP24.

If one were to watch CTV right now, they'll get promos for CTV News, but no promos for CP24's Live at 5 - a program that is simulated on CTV.

Despite this apparent synergy between these two networks, the former - CP24 - is essentially treated as its own separate news product. I can even say that their own separate staff and management were one of the key factors that kept them alive to this day.

Really curious as to what's preventing Bell from merging the newsrooms of CFTO and CP24. Is it a stipulation in their license? The unions? The CP24 brand being more popular than CTV News?

Really curious as to what's preventing Bell from merging the newsrooms of CFTO and CP24. Is it a stipulation in their license? The unions? The CP24 brand being more popular than CTV News?

If both were merged, both brands would be severely diminished. I hate to see the legacy of CP24 go considering that it came from the Citytv days.

They're already sharing footage, helicopters, reporters, and even simulcasting each other's newscasts. There's even a giant CTV logo on the side of CP24's home. Why not just go all the way and merge the newsrooms? I think viewers in Toronto are removed far enough from the days when CP24 was associated with Citytv.

They're already sharing footage, helicopters, reporters, and even simulcasting each other's newscasts. There's even a giant CTV logo on the side of CP24's home. Why not just go all the way and merge the newsrooms? I think viewers in Toronto are removed far enough from the days when CP24 was associated with Citytv.

Let's break that down:

- Footage is shared upon CTV and CP24. However, most of the time they're left to shoot for their own causes because one side is broadcasting live using the compressed nature of Dejero and another is recording high quality footage for the evening newscasts.

- CTV and CP24 both share a helicoper. However, they both intend to brand it as their own. CP24 brands it as their own Chopper 24, CFTO brands it as their own Chopper 9. In CP24 promos, the CTV logo on both sides of the chopper is frequently blurred out.

- Reporters are infrequently shared. If anything, CFTO airs reports feauring CP24 reporters, but not the other way around.

- CTV's newscasts are simulcasted on CP24 and vice versa, but both networks takes no effort to cross promote them.

- 299 Queen Street West is CTV's corporate headquarters and CFTO's metro bureau. This is why you see the prominent network signage.

- It's true, no one identifies CP24 with Citytv. On the other hand, no one will identify CFTO with CP24 due to their incredible pacing differences.

What we need to understand here is that the operations of CP24 and CFTO are complete opposites. I believe, theoretically, they cannot be merged. Reiterating WSVNFan's sentiments, if they were to merge it would seriously deteriorate the resources and employee morale of both sides. CP24 is a 24 hour operation based in the downtown core - right in the heart of metro with a vastly unique, graphics-heavy, trustworthy, and successful ad-friendly format. In comparison, CFTO is a traditional, limited operation based in Scarborough, broadcasting 2.5 hours of reports focusing on the stories of the day.

CTV already knew the fact that CP24 was a unique station since the beginning. They are quite literally the most trusted network in the country since the BCTV days. CP24 on multiple instances reported on major local stories quickly and effectively (like a condensed Toronto-centric Twitter timeline), earning the trust of millions of viewers and the cooperation of various groups and efforts. CFTO never obtained that kind of luxury. Today, several essential services like the Toronto Transit Commission, Toronto Hydro, regional Fire and Police divisions, and local municipalities heavily depends on CP24 to broadcast any important messages out to the public. When something happens, they go to CP24 before anyone else. Now, due to the unique nature of their format, they were also able to invest and mobilize the dual-newsroom setup. Over the years, they've build upon ChumCity's legacy to the current iteration it is today.

Also, you need to consider branding. Once upon a time, CFTO was actually called 'CFTO' - decorated in (blue?) maple leaf iconography and various bastardized attempts to appear like a old-timey American newscast with call sign references, dramatic stingers, a dated duratran and a loose usage of centigrade in a metric country. It was traditional and slow paced. CP24 on the other hand, was the exact opposite of CFTO. It was fast, immediate and straight to the point. Their on air design also exemplified that. Now imagine the PR chaos of merging these two. It would be akin to a 55 year old mimicking the ways of a 22 year old millennial.

This we know, CP24 is a exceptional network and any major changes would lead to a complete disaster. If CTV followed through with a merge, it would add a unnecessary 24/7 workflow onto the CFTO's 2.5 hour staff. That would effectively strain resources on both sides. It would also alter the popular fast paced format, which would not serve in the best interests ofcity officials and the millions of viewers. The repercussions are dangerous. I understand where you're coming from ED2 - the thought of it sounds possible, but a realistic execution under this current scenario doesn't appear to be feasible.

CP24 is built around a hugely successfully locally-grown structure that was never attempted on any other network in the world. I applaud CTV for keeping true to their promises.

CP24, by definition, is *the* definite local news network.

Let's break that down:

- Footage is shared upon CTV and CP24. However, most of the time they're left to shoot for their own causes because one side is broadcasting live using the compressed nature of Dejero and another is recording high quality footage for the evening newscasts.

- CTV and CP24 both share a helicoper. However, they both intend to brand it as their own. CP24 brands it as their own Chopper 24, CFTO brands it as their own Chopper 9. In CP24 promos, the CTV logo on both sides of the chopper is frequently blurred out.

- Reporters are infrequently shared. If anything, CFTO airs reports feauring CP24 reporters, but not the other way around.

- CTV's newscasts are simulcasted on CP24 and vice versa, but both networks takes no effort to cross promote them.

- 299 Queen Street West is CTV's corporate headquarters and CFTO's metro bureau. This is why you see the prominent network signage.

- It's true, no one identifies CP24 with Citytv. On the other hand, no one will identify CFTO with CP24 due to their incredible pacing differences.

What we need to understand here is that the operations of CP24 and CFTO are complete opposites. I believe, theoretically, they cannot be merged. Reiterating WSVNFan's sentiments, if they were to merge it would seriously deteriorate the resources and employee morale of both sides. CP24 is a 24 hour operation based in the downtown core - right in the heart of metro with a vastly unique, graphics-heavy, trustworthy, and successful ad-friendly format. In comparison, CFTO is a traditional, limited operation based in Scarborough, broadcasting 2.5 hours of reports focusing on the stories of the day.

CTV already knew the fact that CP24 was a unique station since the beginning. They are quite literally the most trusted network in the country since the BCTV days. CP24 on multiple instances reported on major local stories quickly and effectively (like a condensed Toronto-centric Twitter timeline), earning the trust of millions of viewers and the cooperation of various groups and efforts. CFTO never obtained that kind of luxury. Today, several essential services like the Toronto Transit Commission, Toronto Hydro, regional Fire and Police divisions, and local municipalities heavily depends on CP24 to broadcast any important messages out to the public. When something happens, they go to CP24 before anyone else. Now, due to the unique nature of their format, they were also able to invest and mobilize the dual-newsroom setup. Over the years, they've build upon ChumCity's legacy to the current iteration it is today.

Also, you need to consider branding. Once upon a time, CFTO was actually called 'CFTO' - decorated in (blue?) maple leaf iconography and various bastardized attempts to appear like a old-timey American newscast with call sign references, dramatic stingers, a dated duratran and a loose usage of centigrade in a metric country. It was traditional and slow paced. CP24 on the other hand, was the exact opposite of CFTO. It was fast, immediate and straight to the point. Their on air design also exemplified that. Now imagine the PR chaos of merging these two. It would be akin to a 55 year old mimicking the ways of a 22 year old millennial.

This we know, CP24 is a exceptional network and any major changes would lead to a complete disaster. If CTV followed through with a merge, it would add a unnecessary 24/7 workflow onto the CFTO's 2.5 hour staff. That would effectively strain resources on both sides. It would also alter the popular fast paced format, which would not serve in the best interests ofcity officials and the millions of viewers. The repercussions are dangerous. I understand where you're coming from ED2 - the thought of it sounds possible, but a realistic execution under this current scenario doesn't appear to be feasible.

CP24 is built around a hugely successfully locally-grown structure that was never attempted on any other network in the world. I applaud CTV for keeping true to their promises.

CP24, by definition, is *the* definite local news network.

My point exactly. Amen.

I love CP24. My favorite 24-hour news channel in all of North America. I'm not even kidding.

Not quite.

You still get people thinking that Citytv is owned by CTV (despite the fact it never was *) all due to CP24 clearly being a Bell/CTV property.

* a Toronto lawyer was appointed as the holder of the trust that CTV established to hold the CHUM holdings and later held the Citytv stations til Rogers was granted approval to close on the acquisition.

Bell is starting to roll out press releases announcing the anchors for CTV News at 5. On top of that, CTV Kitchener's newscasts will finally be in high definition in September.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/ctv-kitchener-announces-broadcast-details-for-all-new-weekday-5-p-m-newscast-debuting-september-18-all-ctv-kitchener-newscasts-available-in-high-definition-beginning-september-25/

I'm wondering if Bell did actually upgrade the station's infrastructure to handle high definition production, or if their control room is moving to an HD-ready plant like Toronto or even another city out west (like what Global and CBC are doing with some of their newscasts).

Bell is starting to roll out press releases announcing the anchors for CTV News at 5. On top of that, CTV Kitchener's newscasts will finally be in high definition in September.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/ctv-kitchener-announces-broadcast-details-for-all-new-weekday-5-p-m-newscast-debuting-september-18-all-ctv-kitchener-newscasts-available-in-high-definition-beginning-september-25/

I'm wondering if Bell did actually upgrade the station's infrastructure to handle high definition production, or if their control room is moving to an HD-ready plant like Toronto or even another city out west (like what Global and CBC are doing with some of their newscasts).

Wow! CTV Kitchener is really late to the HD train.

Wow! CTV Kitchener is really late to the HD train.

Better late than never I suppose. They along with CTV Northern Ontario switched over to 16:9 SD back in January. Also wondering if CTV NO is in line for an HD upgrade too.

My money is still on Bell not bothering upgrading the CTV Two stations in London/Windsor and Barrie to HD. The regional programs on CTV Two Alberta, Ottawa, and Atlantic are already in HD as they're produced by the CTV station in the same markets.

Archived