Pelley out at CBS Evening News

Georgie56

If they want to start giving away cars on the news, they'll just call in Wayne Brady or Drew Carey.

That reminds me of an article that compares cable news like CNN to sport telecasts like ESPN's First Take.

Here on TVNT? Evening news compared to daytime game and talk shows.

What can possibly go wrong?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VO: "This is the CBS Evening News with Oprah Winfrey".

She can give away free cars every night!:rolleyes:

"YOU get breaking news and YOU get breaking news and YOU get breaking news...."

Yes, but if CBS makes him a good offer, he might take the lead chair at the CBS Evening News.

I HIGHLY doubt CBS will look for a replacement through an O&O. Just saying.

My money is on Jeff Glor or Anthony Mason.

Would there be any benefit to just axing the show and giving that half hour back to affiliates? They'd have to probably schedule some national news in their newscasts though (either self-produced, from their owner's bureaus if they have one, or from CBSN) but would be able to schedule an hour long 6:00 pm newscast in the Eastern and Pacific time zones (and have more flexibility in Central and Mountain, where 5:30 pm is most often used but 6:00 pm and 6:30 pm are sometimes used as well).

I don't wanna see Charlie, Norah or Gayle anchor it though. They hugely deserve to remain in the morning because that morning show is getting good.

I think Anthony Mason should get it permanently but it would be nice to see another veteran take it as well.

I would rotate thru anchors picked from all areas including O&O's for live auditions. There is no rush. These few folks need rock solid credibility, but at a budget price. Big names want big money. I would much rather see a lesser name, or a regional name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Norah, Maurice DuBois and Anderson are all serious possibilities I think tho my guess is it will go to Norah.

Looks like David Rhodes is Regretting removing Pelley from the evening News chair. More of a clear sign it could be Anderson Cooper taking over. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cbs-news-president-tells-staff-evening-news-anchor-transition-didnt-go-smoothly-hurt-morale-1017868

Looks like David Rhodes is Regretting removing Pelley from the evening News chair. More of a clear sign it could be Anderson Cooper taking over. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cbs-news-president-tells-staff-evening-news-anchor-transition-didnt-go-smoothly-hurt-morale-1017868

I sensed that his tone was that of regret as well. However I don't see where Anderson Cooper comes from.

He's feeling regret only because it blew up in his face and he's facing a backlash over it. Not exactly smart to yank your main anchor off the flagship broadcast and not have a plan to replace him. This move seems like it was an ego-driven one, done with no forethought. If staff morale is low, that's squarely on Rhodes.

It prob won't be Anderson tho he's a possability. It's prob either going to be Norah or Maruice.

I sensed that his tone was that of regret as well. However I don't see where Anderson Cooper comes from.

This quote is appalling: "Rhodes said he has no one in mind right now for the role..."

So he moved Pelley off of the show without having any idea of whom he wanted to take over or any plan at all for that matter. How much sense that's make?

"I don't think he's working out. He needs to go, like, ASAP."

"Who will we replace him with? Do you have some candidates in mind?"

"Nah IDK bro we'll figure that out later."

This quote is appalling: "Rhodes said he has no one in mind right now for the role..."

So he moved Pelley off of the show without having any idea of whom he wanted to take over or any plan at all for that matter. How much sense that's make?

"I don't think he's working out. He needs to go, like, ASAP."

"Who will we replace him with? Do you have some candidates in mind?"

"Nah IDK bro we'll figure that out later."

Les Moonves really should intervene here- nobody has any idea where to go now, and at this rate CBS News is gonna start sinking into chaos.

This craziest part of this is that Scott Pelley is painted as the scapegoat for EN ratings woes -- which have been stuck in 3rd place for close to 30 years now. This program is going to have to change drastically if they want to climb out of the cellar because just changing the face of the program won't affect sagging figures.

I think that long gone are the days where viewers are attached to national news because of the person behind the desk (like Jennings, Brokaw, Rather).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived