May 2017 sweeps results

TexasTVNews

I've only seen the 25-54 numbers, but again, WDAF-TV is leading that demo.

KSHB is comin' up in most areas, and KCTV is going down.

(A25-54)

6am

WDAF 3.1

KSHB 1.9

KMBC 1.9

KCTV 0.4

4pm

WDAF (Judge Judy) 2.5

KCTV 0.9

KMBC 0.9

KSHB 0.6

5pm

WDAF 2.6

KMBC 1.6

KSHB 1.1

KCTV 1.0

6pm

WDAF 2.7

KMBC 2.0

KSHB 1.3

KCTV 0.9

9pm

WDAF 3.2

CBS prime 2.8

ABC prime 2.6

NBC prime 2.4

KCWE 0.5

KSMO 0.3

10pm

WDAF 3.1

KSHB 2.5

KMBC 1.8

KCTV 1.8

In fact, we were #1 for most of the day on weekdays in A25-54, which is astonishing given what we run in some areas. Only Crime Watch Daily and FOX prime didn't finish #1. Weekend Sunday news were the only newscasts not to finish #1.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(A25-54)

6am

WDAF 3.1

KSHB 1.9

KMBC 1.9

KCTV 0.4

4pm

WDAF (Judge Judy) 2.5

KCTV 0.9

KMBC 0.9

KSHB 0.6

5pm

WDAF 2.6

KMBC 1.6

KSHB 1.1

KCTV 1.0

6pm

WDAF 2.7

KMBC 2.0

KSHB 1.3

KCTV 0.9

9pm

WDAF 3.2

CBS prime 2.8

ABC prime 2.6

NBC prime 2.4

KCWE 0.5

KSMO 0.3

10pm

WDAF 3.1

KSHB 2.5

KMBC 1.8

KCTV 1.8

In fact, we were #1 for most of the day on weekdays in A25-54, which is astonishing given what we run in some areas. Only Crime Watch Daily and FOX prime didn't finish #1. Weekend Sunday news were the only newscasts not to finish #1.

Wow what a surprise. KMBC has fallen under.

Kansas Citians turn to FOX 4.

Geez. WSB has CRAZY high ratings.

And I -- along with the rest of Atlanta -- HATE them for that.

At least WXIA, despite them still in third place, kicked Channel 2's asses at the Southeast Emmys the other week (31 Emmys including News Excellence, though the Newscasts and Anchor (Jovita Moore) honors were reserved for WSB).

Boston May sweeps figures indicate that TV news viewership in the Hub has fallen dramatically year-over-year, even allowing for the addition of NBC Boston. Worst of all was NECN, which barely cracked 1,000 viewers. Could it become the first casualty in this war of attrition?

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/columnists/jessica_heslam/2017/06/heslam_boston_s_tv_news_blues

Nobody wants to admit this yet but...

Cord cutting is making a giant dent in the local TV news viewership. TV news execs have always felt the cord cutters didn't really effect them much. Howeve rmany cord cutters do not end up with the "easy access" to local news stations with those new IP based services like Sling Hulu and Netflix.

Lifetime "appointment viewers" to TV news quickly find other news sources.

They end up forgetting about traditional TV news because the access options are so different.

People are not "missing" the local news broadcast, and most cord cutters are not going as far as adding antennas for local free over the air broadcast.

Sure there is viewer migration to the TV news websites, but for the most part they just abandon the local OTA products.

Boston May sweeps figures indicate that TV news viewership in the Hub has fallen dramatically year-over-year, even allowing for the addition of NBC Boston. Worst of all was NECN, which barely cracked 1,000 viewers. Could it become the first casualty in this war of attrition?

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/columnists/jessica_heslam/2017/06/heslam_boston_s_tv_news_blues

Remember, those 1K are in Boston. It doesn't stand for the entire New England area so viewership numbers could be a lot bigger.

Remember, those 1K are in Boston. It doesn't stand for the entire New England area so viewership numbers could be a lot bigger.

It is my understanding that the figure quoted was for the entire Boston-Manchester DMA in the money demo (25-54.) That said, the specified time period was noon, so it's not unreasonable to assume that it's the weakest competitive time period for NECN.

And I -- along with the rest of Atlanta -- HATE them for that.

At least WXIA, despite them still in third place, kicked Channel 2's asses at the Southeast Emmys the other week (31 Emmys including News Excellence, though the Newscasts and Anchor (Jovita Moore) honors were reserved for WSB).

There's a logical fallacy here. If everyone in Atlanta hated channel 2, they wouldn't get such high ratings. WAGA may be a distant second but they've been doing a very good job of nipping at 2's heels...though they're fortunate that their only 10 PM competition comes from the measly WATL, and not something produced by WSB.

But I will agree with you that WXIA deserved every one of the awards they got. I don't think they deserve the poor reputation they have around here on TVNT...their investigative unit is a particular highlight, and it showed in the Emmys.

If anyone should rightly get the shaft, it's WGCL. WSB isn't kidding when they boast that 46 barely even registers as a blip, and there's a very good reason for it...if this were any other market, they'd probably have gone the way of KDNL and WWJ years ago. They're fortunate that they have owners who are big enough suckers have enough money to absorb the blow.

WSB turns me off because of the boasting.

Now did WXIA get the emmys because they nominated the most entries (something that happens here)) or did WSB not enter many categories.

The boasting is pretty much par for the course - everyone in Hampton Roads does it (and, incidentally, they all have different ideas of who's been dominating who...).

As for why 11Alive got so many Emmys, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

There's a logical fallacy here. If everyone in Atlanta hated channel 2, they wouldn't get such high ratings. WAGA may be a distant second but they've been doing a very good job of nipping at 2's heels...though they're fortunate that their only 10 PM competition comes from the measly WATL, and not something produced by WSB.

But I will agree with you that WXIA deserved every one of the awards they got. I don't think they deserve the poor reputation they have around here on TVNT...their investigative unit is a particular highlight, and it showed in the Emmys.

If anyone should rightly get the shaft, it's WGCL. WSB isn't kidding when they boast that 46 barely even registers as a blip, and there's a very good reason for it...if this were any other market, they'd probably have gone the way of KDNL and WWJ years ago. They're fortunate that they have owners who are big enough suckers have enough money to absorb the blow.

That adds the question, if WSB wanted a 10 pm newscast or an extended morning show, are there any channels in the market they could make a deal with?

That adds the question, if WSB wanted a 10 pm newscast or an extended morning show, are there any channels in the market they could make a deal with?

Unfortunately not with the limited choices. With WXIA getting WATL and WGCL having WPCH, unless CBS were to sell WUPA to Cox Media Group, forget it.

(A25-54)

6am

WDAF 3.1

KSHB 1.9

KMBC 1.9

KCTV 0.4

4pm

WDAF (Judge Judy) 2.5

KCTV 0.9

KMBC 0.9

KSHB 0.6

5pm

WDAF 2.6

KMBC 1.6

KSHB 1.1

KCTV 1.0

6pm

WDAF 2.7

KMBC 2.0

KSHB 1.3

KCTV 0.9

9pm

WDAF 3.2

CBS prime 2.8

ABC prime 2.6

NBC prime 2.4

KCWE 0.5

KSMO 0.3

10pm

WDAF 3.1

KSHB 2.5

KMBC 1.8

KCTV 1.8

Jeez KSHB is #2 at 6am but look at that gap between first and second. Pretty Impressive how well they're doing at 5 and 6 given how bad the Now has been for them. #2 at 10pm as well, also impressive.

Yeah, I feel KMBC is going downhill. It all started when they moved Kris Katz to evenings. Their news is too stuffy.

I've never liked them. It hasn't been the same since Larry Moore retir - er - became anchor emeritus. I have found their news to be tabloid-y and arrogant for many years now. Maybe things will change with whoever their new news director who will be. You would think this would humble them, but evidently not.

[quote name='GoldenShine9']That adds the question, if WSB wanted a 10 pm newscast or an extended morning show, are there any channels in the market they could make a deal with?[/QUOTE] [quote name='WSVNFan']Unfortunately not with the limited choices. With WXIA getting WATL and WGCL having WPCH, unless CBS were to sell WUPA to Cox Media Group, forget it.[/QUOTE] Well, to be fair, they [I]do[/I] have two subchannels they could choose from. It would have been more viable if they hadn't ditched MeTV, but unless they were going to try to get WUPA like @WSVNFan suggests (which I don't see as likely given the Tiffany Network's recent behavior), or try something even more extreme like waving money at Carolina Christian Broadcasting for WATC or building from square one (both of which would be nearly impossible), there's nowhere else for them to go if they want to try a 10 PM. Honestly, WAGA is so entrenched in the timeslot I don't see how a WSB 10 PM could succeed, no matter where it went...notice how WATL barely registers as a blip against them, and they're the only primetime news competition 5 has!

Archived