May 2017 sweeps results

TexasTVNews

New Orleans; it heating up between 4,6,8-

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/6/2/ratings-race-tightens-up-in-the-big-easy

Here is a breakdown of the ratings by time period:

4:30 a.m.: WWL, 2.2; WVUE, 1.3; WDSU, 1.2; WGNO (network), 0.7

5 a.m.: WWL, 3.7; WDSU, 2.0; WVUE, 1.9; WGNO, 0.7

6 a.m.: WWL, 5.5; WDSU, 4.0; WVUE, 3.2; WGNO, 0.9

7 a.m.: WDSU (network), 4.6; WVUE, 3.7; WWL (network), 3.6; WUPL, 2.0; WGNO (network), 1.5

8 a.m.: WDSU (network), 3.7; WVUE, 3.3; WWL (network), 3.0; WUPL, 1.9; WGNO (network), 1.1;

Noon: WWL, 8.8; WVUE, 3.0

4 p.m.: WDSU, 4.6; WVUE, 3.4

5 p.m.: WWL, 7.2; WDSU, 6.7; WVUE, 4.6; WGNO, 1.1

5:30 p.m.: WDSU (network), 8.18; WWL (network), 6.8; WVUE, 4.6

6 p.m.: WDSU, 7.15; WWL, 7.05; WGNO, 0.8

9 p.m.: WVUE, 6.33

10 p.m.: WVUE, 6.8; WWL, 6.3; WDSU, 5.9; WGNO, 0.7

• Tegnaitis is finally getting to WWL. I bet management is regretting moving the 7-9am news onto WUPL. Sad when the only solace is that it's beating GMA on WGNO.
  • Speaking of WGNO, it's a miracle that they still have a news department.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Tegnaitis is finally getting to WWL. I bet management is regretting moving the 7-9am news onto WUPL. Sad when the only solace is that it's beating GMA on WGNO.

Don't three out of four dentists recommend Listerine for bad cases of Tegnaitis?

Those share values are so low - do the Spanish stations beat all of them?

Few people watch TV between 4a (when KRIV starts their morning news) and 5:30a, so those shares are naturally going to be very low.

That 7-9am newscast will be cancelled if it continues failing. TEGNA ruins everything.

KTRK-May-2017-News-Recap-1_zpsw6zj3qow.jpg~original

Maybe I have a gross misunderstanding of how many people are in each tenth of a rating point, but those seem like dreadfully low numbers for everyone. Do Houstonians just not watch local news? If you're pulling it 0.1 at 4:30am, how do you justify even having a newscast.

Those share values are so low - do the Spanish stations beat all of them?

Yes. KTMD, especially, hired several veteran news managers/producers/photogs away from KPRC and KTRK.

I would also add it's difficult to watch the news when you're always stuck on the freeway, at least that's what my Houston friends tell me.

Maybe I have a gross misunderstanding of how many people are in each tenth of a rating point, but those seem like dreadfully low numbers for everyone. Do Houstonians just not watch local news? If you're pulling it 0.1 at 4:30am, how do you justify even having a newscast.

Each ratings point in Houston is equal to about 25,000 homes, so a .1 equals about 2,500 homes. Not a huge number, but still sellable, especially as a "value add" thrown in for some bigger advertisers who spend money on the later newscasts. Since the morning team is already in the building, the station doesn't really have any added costs going on at 4:30 versus 5.

Each ratings point in Houston is equal to about 25,000 homes, so a .1 equals about 2,500 homes. Not a huge number, but still sellable, especially as a "value add" thrown in for some bigger advertisers who spend money on the later newscasts. Since the morning team is already in the building, the station doesn't really have any added costs going on at 4:30 versus 5.

Even at 6 and 10 pm, they rarely go over 2.0 there - that seems downright pathetic for a market leader. In most markets, you'd be laughed out of the ballpark with that kind of ratings on your primary periods.

If you're pulling it 0.1 at 4:30am, how do you justify even having a newscast.

At that hour it's not about ratings....it's all about being sold out on inventory.

Are you selling spots???

Because I will give you a sweet deal in that early show if you want .

The "numbers" are NOT everything...it's what you bill, and how you manipulate the client, numbers, shows, demo's etc.....

It's the entire package...not just the ratings numbers.

And it's mostly just basic sales bullshit...lies...distortions...more lies...spun numbers...and more bullshit.

Remember, those ratings are for adults 25-54 not total households or total viewers.

Also known as those who matter..

If our sales dept had to rely on ratings to sell spots...most TV stations would be bankrupt.

Fact is we rarely use Nielsen demos or ratings as a base for sales except to say how inaccurate they are.

"The numbers lie"...we tell the client...."The Demo is inaccurate".....we tell them...

"Trust ME"...not the numbers...cuz we know better..and"Law and Order reruns are the best value in any day part."

"Trust Me".

While WTAE will never, ever, ever be the same without Wendy Bell... I am kind of glad to see their ratings bouncing back a bit. They are still 3rd in evenings/late night in total viewers. Before the Wendy Bell fallout, they were second at 5 and 6 and a lot of times number 1 at 11. While their new anchor teams aren't as bad as I thought they'd be, I wish they wouldn't have promoted from within because there are much better outside candidates than Shannon and Janelle.

While WTAE will never, ever, ever be the same without Wendy Bell... I am kind of glad to see their ratings bouncing back a bit. They are still 3rd in evenings/late night in total viewers. Before the Wendy Bell fallout, they were second at 5 and 6 and a lot of times number 1 at 11. While their new anchor teams aren't as bad as I thought they'd be, I wish they wouldn't have promoted from within because there are much better outside candidates than Shannon and Janelle.

When was WTAE #1? It would have to be in the 90s because KDKA has won the evenings 4,5,6,11PM for the last 10 years or more. Yes, it does seem with the fallout with Wendy Bell, the ratings have tumbled where WTAE & WPXI were neck to neck at 5,6,11PM. WPXI has surged into second place, but Pittsburgh still remains a very competitive market.

WJLA is claiming #1 at 6pm in the 25/54 demo for the May Book.

More information needs to be provided, because I don't believe WJLA beat WRC at 6pm, but anything is possible.

When was WTAE #1? It would have to be in the 90s because KDKA has won the evenings 4,5,6,11PM for the last 10 years or more. Yes, it does seem with the fallout with Wendy Bell, the ratings have tumbled where WTAE & WPXI were neck to neck at 5,6,11PM. WPXI has surged into second place, but Pittsburgh still remains a very competitive market.

More information needs to be provided, because I don't believe WJLA beat WRC at 6pm, but anything is possible.

I don't believe that either since its under Republican god Sincrap.

WTAE has had strong morning ratings for awhile. They were number one at 11 between about 2013 and 2015.

I know this will make some people unhappy but Its true, WJLA is number 1 at 6pm in the 25-54 demo. I haven't seen Jonathan Elias and Michelle Marsh anchor together but they're two very good anchors and Doug hill has been there forever. It shouldn't be a huge surprise that they won.

I know this will make some people unhappy but Its true, WJLA is number 1 at 6pm in the 25-54 demo. I haven't seen Jonathan Elias and Michelle Marsh anchor together but they're two very good anchors and Doug hill has been there forever. It shouldn't be a huge surprise that they won.

But it is if you think of it in this way... Jonathan and Michelle beat Jim and Doreen? That's still hard to believe, no matter which way you see it. HH, 25-54,18-49, 2+, doesn't matter. WRC is the best at 6pm and for WJLA to actually win would surprise anyone in the industry.

But it is if you think of it in this way... Jonathan and Michelle beat Jim and Doreen? That's still hard to believe, no matter which way you see it. HH, 25-54,18-49, 2+, doesn't matter. WRC is the best at 6pm and for WJLA to actually win would surprise anyone in the industry.

The world, and especially TV ratings, doesn't revolve around how you feel. WRC isn't invincible.

Archived