May 2017 sweeps results

TexasTVNews

KTLA just ran a promo touting the station is #1 in the following categories....4-7am, 7-10am, 1pm, 3pm, 10pm, weekend mornings and weekend 10pm. The only slots they didn't win would be 6pm and 11pm. These have been traditionally dominant slots historically held by KABC.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KTLA just ran a promo touting the station is #1 in the following categories....4-7am, 7-10am, 1pm, 3pm, 10pm, weekend mornings and weekend 10pm. The only slots they didn't win would be 6pm and 11pm. These have been traditionally dominant slots historically held by KABC.

what place they are in the market only matters to the Promo dept. - the viewership numbers in the market in relation to the competition is the only thing that matters, especially if three stations are .5 apart from each other in Demos - well especially where Tribune stations are concerned - they really know how to spin those numbers, though I think KTLA numbers are probably pretty good

Detroit:

4pm:

WDIV News 4.0/ 11 SHR

WJBK Judge Judy 2.8 / 8 SHR

WXYZ The NOW Detroit 2.2 / 6 SHR

5pm:

WDIV News 5.3 / 13 SHR

WJBK News 3.8 / 9 SHR

WXYZ News 3.7 / 9 SHR

6pm:

WDIV News 6.9 / 15 SHR

WXYZ News 5.2 / 11 SHR

WJBK News 3.2 / 7 SHR

7pm:

WDIV Wheel / Jeopardy! 6.9 / 14 SHR

Primetime:

WDIV 4.0 / 7 SHR

WXYZ 3.9 / 7 SHR

WWJ 62 3.8 / 7 SHR

WJBK 2 3.0 / 5 SHR

10pm:

WJBK News 4.6 / 8 SHR

11pm:

WDIV News 5.6 / 12 SHR

WXYZ News 4.4 / 9 SHR

WJBK News 3.7 / 8 SHR

http://www.clickondetroit.com/station/wdiv-is-no1-beating-other-local-tv-stations-in-may-sweeps-and-clickondetroit-is-no-1-website

The most interesting takeaway from this is that all of the stations are hemorhaging viewers in the 25-54 category.

I don't think that's accidental, either... or limited just to the DFW market.

I don't think that's accidental, either... or limited just to the DFW market.

Despite all the news expansion I'm willing to still bet that within a few years many of the smaller stations will have either stopped News entirely for lack of profit or the stations will begin shifting to online only newscasts... OTA and local stations in general seem on borrowed time...

Here's final same day adults 18-49 for the season.

Football once again dominated the season. SNF on NBC, TNF on NBC and TNF on CBS were the top three of the season.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/final-same-day-adults-18-49-ratings-for-2016-17-nfl-and-big-bang-theory-lead-a-down-year/

And in overall viewers...it's Sunday Night Football, Thursday Night Football (NBC), and NCIS among those top three.

Interest in the 2016 presidential election had a lot to do with the NFL ratings dip this season; even Monday Night Football's numbers dropped as well (my guess for the season's top three cable shows in both households and 18-49s are MNF, The Walking Dead, and WWE Raw).

And in overall viewers...it's Sunday Night Football, Thursday Night Football (NBC), and NCIS among those top three.

Interest in the 2016 presidential election had a lot to do with the NFL ratings dip this season; even Monday Night Football's numbers dropped as well (my guess for the season's top three cable shows in both households and 18-49s are MNF, The Walking Dead, and WWE Raw).

Whenever I see ratings like this I remember this Proud as a Peacok jingle they made for internal use and was released by Imus. I imagine an 18 rating / 14 share would be a pipe dream for a network nowadays. If you look at this article from Deadline NBC came in first with a 2.1 rating (second place in viewers), Fox 1.9 (fourth place in viewers) CBS 1.8 (first place total viewers), ABC 1.6 (third place in viewers) and The CW at 0.8 (coming in fifth place).

Whenever I see ratings like this I remember this Proud as a Peacok jingle they made for internal use and was released by Imus. I imagine an 18 rating / 14 share would be a pipe dream for a network nowadays. If you look at this article from Deadline NBC came in first with a 2.1 rating (second place in viewers), Fox 1.9 (fourth place in viewers) CBS 1.8 (first place total viewers), ABC 1.6 (third place in viewers) and The CW at 0.8 (coming in fifth place).

We don't care. It's all fair.

WBNS wins in all timeslots. WCMH is #2 yet again. WSYX in dead last. In other words, status quo here in the Columbus market.

I recall WCMH frequently beating WBNS in the 2000s, as an O&O. NBC's strong primetime lineup + a much better news product than what is currently put out by Nexstar + employees who cared to get it right played a major part in that.

WSYX/WTTE are always dead last. Sincrap's news product sometimes verges onto conspiracy theories and is FNC-lite (even closer to FNC than Fox's own O&Os). People don't want opinions forced onto them during local news. Save that for the cable outlets. There are plenty of left and right leaning outlets on cable (MSNBC, FNC) for opinion. Plus, Sincrap refuses to invest in their stations = cheap news product = no viewers. Whenever I watch ABC 6/FOX 28, I feel like I'm watching a small market station.

No May ratings for Atlanta (at least not yet), but the March 30 I-85 collapse worked wonders for you-know-who (note in page 5 that WAGA picked up again right after Fox primetime, though during those two hours, their numbers dropped while WXIA's soared)...while pissing off many Grey's Anatomy/Scandal fans who had to stay up past 1:00 am for their shows!

As for everything else:

• WAGA inched closer to WSB at 5:00, though they had a 2,000 viewer increase at 6:00
  • TMZ (WAGA) still kept Jeopardy! (WXIA) at bay at 7:30 by more than 5,200 viewers (in 18-49s, I think it's TMZ, Family Feud (WUPA), Entertainment Tonight (WSB), and Jeopardy in that order)
  • Fallon and Colbert were tied at 11:35 (News Edge probably beat them for second place)!!
  • No primetime, but I would assume by order (in total viewers, unless I get e-mails from either programming departments): WAGA, WGCL, WXIA, and WSB.

However...I've been seeing promos that despite WSB's claims, it's Good Day Atlanta that's been watched more than GMA, Today, or CBS This Morning...and that's over the course of a year!!! There's no way WSB can spin that now!

New Orleans; it heating up between 4,6,8-

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/6/2/ratings-race-tightens-up-in-the-big-easy

Here is a breakdown of the ratings by time period:

4:30 a.m.: WWL, 2.2; WVUE, 1.3; WDSU, 1.2; WGNO (network), 0.7

5 a.m.: WWL, 3.7; WDSU, 2.0; WVUE, 1.9; WGNO, 0.7

6 a.m.: WWL, 5.5; WDSU, 4.0; WVUE, 3.2; WGNO, 0.9

7 a.m.: WDSU (network), 4.6; WVUE, 3.7; WWL (network), 3.6; WUPL, 2.0; WGNO (network), 1.5

8 a.m.: WDSU (network), 3.7; WVUE, 3.3; WWL (network), 3.0; WUPL, 1.9; WGNO (network), 1.1;

Noon: WWL, 8.8; WVUE, 3.0

4 p.m.: WDSU, 4.6; WVUE, 3.4

5 p.m.: WWL, 7.2; WDSU, 6.7; WVUE, 4.6; WGNO, 1.1

5:30 p.m.: WDSU (network), 8.18; WWL (network), 6.8; WVUE, 4.6

6 p.m.: WDSU, 7.15; WWL, 7.05; WGNO, 0.8

9 p.m.: WVUE, 6.33

10 p.m.: WVUE, 6.8; WWL, 6.3; WDSU, 5.9; WGNO, 0.7

WGNO really is the fourth news outlet in a three-news-outlet town, isn't it?

It seems the Tegna cuts are starting to hurt WWL there. It's one thing if your competition is weak, but when Hearst and Raycom are your competitors and they are willing to invest in talent, you won't get away with it.

New Orleans; it heating up between 4,6,8-

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/6/2/ratings-race-tightens-up-in-the-big-easy

Here is a breakdown of the ratings by time period:

4:30 a.m.: WWL, 2.2; WVUE, 1.3; WDSU, 1.2; WGNO (network), 0.7

5 a.m.: WWL, 3.7; WDSU, 2.0; WVUE, 1.9; WGNO, 0.7

6 a.m.: WWL, 5.5; WDSU, 4.0; WVUE, 3.2; WGNO, 0.9

7 a.m.: WDSU (network), 4.6; WVUE, 3.7; WWL (network), 3.6; WUPL, 2.0; WGNO (network), 1.5

8 a.m.: WDSU (network), 3.7; WVUE, 3.3; WWL (network), 3.0; WUPL, 1.9; WGNO (network), 1.1;

Noon: WWL, 8.8; WVUE, 3.0

4 p.m.: WDSU, 4.6; WVUE, 3.4

5 p.m.: WWL, 7.2; WDSU, 6.7; WVUE, 4.6; WGNO, 1.1

5:30 p.m.: WDSU (network), 8.18; WWL (network), 6.8; WVUE, 4.6

6 p.m.: WDSU, 7.15; WWL, 7.05; WGNO, 0.8

9 p.m.: WVUE, 6.33

10 p.m.: WVUE, 6.8; WWL, 6.3; WDSU, 5.9; WGNO, 0.7

• Jesus! Channel 6 won at 6 pm...it's been what, 40-plus years since that happened? And "Nightly News" beat "CBS Evening News"...I think they'll get closer to WWL in the morning.
  • Tegna's ownership and antics plus the loss of beloved talent has screwed up Channel 4 BIG TIME.
  • This city has had REALLY good newscasts since the 90s and it's finally showing in the ratings.
  • WGNO is...WGNO.

Archived