Previous Hearst graphics

HearstArgyleFan90

Does anyone know when in 2001 WCVB got the updated talent opens (I call this camera v2.5), introduced around April 2000 (right?) on KCRA. When WCVB got the talent opens the main opens at the beginning were also slightly modified.

Also, when in 2004 did WCVB get the ring graphics?

Maybe it was around September 1998 that camera v2 was first introduced, on WCVB of course. Right?

Edited by Conrad

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 5:18 PM, Conrad said:

Does anyone know when in 2001 WCVB got the updated talent opens (I call this camera v2.5), introduced around April 2000 (right?) on KCRA. When WCVB got the talent opens the main opens at the beginning were also slightly modified.

Also, when in 2004 did WCVB get the ring graphics?

Maybe it was around September 1998 that camera v2 was first introduced, on WCVB of course. Right?

Looks like no reply yet, but I would like to add:

WCVB received updated "floating logo" opens in 2009 and 2011. However I would like to know exact dates in those years.

Also, when was the "#" added in front of "WCVB" in their diagrid bug?

And when in 2003 was WCVB's slogan changed from "Coverage You Can Count On" to "Local Live Coverage You Can Count On"?

Side note: Interesting that KCCI used both Image News and B Package/Revolution at the same time.  I wonder if they used one or both for closes. Also, did WDSU use talent opens during the camera/B Package era, and did KOAT use talent opens between 1999 and 2004? I know they did late in the camera era in 2004, when they were using the NMC music package and weird opens for Hearst-Argyle at the time.

Edited by Conrad
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 6:09 PM, Conrad said:

Looks like no reply yet, but I would like to add:

WCVB received updated "floating logo" opens in 2009 and 2011. However I would like to know exact dates in those years.

Also, when was the "#" added in front of "WCVB" in their diagrid bug?

And when in 2003 was WCVB's slogan changed from "Coverage You Can Count On" to "Local Live Coverage You Can Count On"?

Side note: Interesting that KCCI used both Image News and B Package/Revolution at the same time.  I wonder if they used one or both for closes. Also, did WDSU use talent opens during the camera/B Package era, and did KOAT use talent opens between 1999 and 2004? I know they did late in the camera era in 2004, when they were using the NMC music package and weird opens for Hearst-Argyle at the time.

To answer your questions:

1) WCVB added the hashtag in front of the call letters in 2014.

2) I think it was the middle of 2003 when WCVB slightly modified its "Coverage You Can Count On" slogan by adding "Local Live" before CYCCO; it was months before the station switched from Image News to the NewsMusic Central package.

3) There was one KCCI newscast from 2002 where Image News was used in the open, but the rest of the broadcast (commercial outros, talent opens, and the close) used the B Package.

4) And yes, KOAT did use talent opens between 1999 and 2004.  In fact there's an excerpt of an early 2001 newscast, and it starts at the end of the talent rejoin.  

And there's also a video of a KOAT newscast from 2003 when they were using their unusual variation of the camera graphics, before they switched to the NMC package.

Edited by HearstArgyleFan90
  • Like 1

I looked at the WayBack Machine, and thanks to it we bring you some dates for when each of these stations introduced the ring graphics:

• WESH: September 2004
  • WBAL: between October and December 2004
  • WCVB: February 2005
  • WTAE, WISN, KOCO: April 2005
  • KCRA, KETV: Spring 2005
  • WDSU: Mid-2005
Edited by Conrad

4 hours ago, HearstArgyleFan90 said:

There was one KCCI newscast from 2002 where Image News was used in the open, but the rest of the broadcast (commercial outros, talent opens, and the close) used the B Package.

Actually there is two of them that use Image News not only was that used for the Noon newscast but it was also used for their morning newscast as seen here 

• Like 1

Did WLWT use talent opens in the camera era? I have not seen any video evidence. I know they did in the ring era, and when they used the last pre-Hearst graphics from 1997-1998.

Also there's nothing I've seen on YouTube of anything from WXII from the camera era save for a 2000 open. I want to see WXII stuff from 2001, 2002, 2003 or 2004 (pre-ring graphics). YouTube also has virtually nothing I've seen to do with WLWT that is from 2003-2007. I want to see their later camera-era (2003-2004) stuff. YouTube also doesn't have (much of) anything from KCRA in 2005 or 2006 that I know of. They also don't have much content from WDSU from 2003-2008, and no content from KOCO in 2004-2007.

Oh, and I forgot to mention WLKY got the ring graphics in spring 2005.

Edited by Conrad

4 hours ago, Conrad said:

I looked at the WayBack Machine, and thanks to it we bring you some dates for when each of these stations introduced the ring graphics:

• WESH: September 2004
  • WBAL: between October and December 2004
  • WCVB: February 2005
  • WTAE, WISN, KOCO: April 2005
  • KCRA, KETV: Spring 2005
  • WDSU: Mid-2005

Did you find it in the videos section?

Also, we should look for dates for when KOAT and KMBC started using the ring graphics.

3 hours ago, HearstArgyleFan90 said:

Did you find it in the videos section?

Also, we should look for dates for when KOAT and KMBC started using the ring graphics.

Some sites don’t update as quick as their on air look. For example, WNYT kept its 1997-era logo on its website 3 months past their August 2004 refresh.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

Some sites don’t update as quick as their on air look. For example, WNYT kept its 1997-era logo on its website 3 months past their August 2004 refresh.

All I know is that KOAT started using the rings graphics sometime in the fall of 2004, but its website still used camera 2.0 until April 2006 when it was rebranded as koat.com (it was initially thenewmexicochannel.com)

• 1 month later...

Here is part of a KOCO newscast from 1998 back when they first started using camera 2.0

Correct me if I'm wrong but could KOCO have been the first HA station to use camera 2.0 and not WCVB?

And here's another KOCO newscast from September of '98

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 12:09 AM, HearstArgyleFan90 said:

Here is part of a KOCO newscast from 1998 back when they first started using camera 2.0

Correct me if I'm wrong but could KOCO have been the first HA station to use camera 2.0 and not WCVB?

And here's another KOCO newscast from September of '98

I believe KOCO got them just before WCVB got theirs. Here's WCVB from roughly the same period (about a month after KOCO received theirs) it's possible though that CVB could've gotten the Camera 2.0 graphics in the Summer of 1998 before KOCO got theirs (in all likelihood because KOCO was just recovering from a tornado that damaged their studio about 3 months prior to receive the Camera Mandate 2.0 graphics

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I believe KOCO got them just before WCVB got theirs. Here's WCVB from roughly the same period (about a month after KOCO received theirs) it's possible though that CVB could've gotten the Camera 2.0 graphics in the Summer of 1998 before KOCO got theirs (in all likelihood because KOCO was just recovering from a tornado that damaged their studio about 3 months prior to receive the Camera Mandate 2.0 graphics

I saw that newscast, and only the opens and talent rejoins were from camera v2; all other graphics were from camera v1.  I believe WCVB completed the transition to camera v2 around 1999, although they didn't get the updated L3s until they debuted a new set in March 2000.

6 minutes ago, HearstArgyleFan90 said:

I saw that newscast, and only the opens and talent rejoins were from camera v2; all other graphics were from camera v1.  I believe WCVB completed the transition to camera v2 around 1999, although they didn't get the updated L3s until they debuted a new set in March 2000.

Which KOCO was pretty much in the same boat as WCVB, having the Camera V2 graphics but some parts of it were still V1.

4 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Which KOCO was pretty much in the same boat as WCVB, having the Camera V2 graphics but some parts of it were still V1.

In the case with KOCO, only the L3s and weather graphics were from camera v1; all other graphics such as news topics, split-screens, and other graphics were from camera v2.  And this was pretty much the case with any Hearst station that started using camera v2 in 1998 or 1999, as the L3s that would eventually be updated for camera v2 were introduced around 2000.   But here's an interesting case with WESH.

2 minutes ago, HearstArgyleFan90 said:

In the case with KOCO, only the L3s and weather graphics were from camera v1; all other graphics such as news topics, split-screens, and other graphics were from camera v2.  And this was pretty much the case with any Hearst station that started using camera v2 in 1998 or 1999, as the L3s that would eventually be updated for camera v2 were introduced around 2000.   But here's an interesting case with WESH.

Wasn't WESH still with the V1 version on the L3rds or was that something else? It looks like V1 just from the thumbnail of the video alone but I could be wrong

3 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Wasn't WESH still with the V1 version on the L3rds or was that something else? It looks like V1 just from the thumbnail of the video alone but I could be wrong

I think it could've been a short-lived variation of the v1 L3s, originally meant for V2.  If you notice, the blue area looks a bit more "3D-ish" and it's a different shade of blue (looks kind of lavender blue) than what v1 used.  I suggest watching the entire clip, not just look at the thumbnail.

• 1 year later...

I was speaking with someone who used to work for KOAT, and from what he told me, the station started using "Image News" and the H-A graphics around December 1999; but due to technical difficulties, it would sometimes be mixed up with the pre-Hearst graphics, and some newscasts used "The One and Only".

• 1 year later...

This thread has not been active for a year.  But I found two other KOAT newscasts, one from mid-October 2003 and the other from early October 2004.

• The 2003 newscast features KOAT's unusual variation of the camera v2 graphics, and it was two-and-a-half months before the station began using the NewsMusic Central package
  • The newscast from 2004 was when KOAT was already using the rings graphics, but the weather segments continued using camera v2 for a short while.

And...I also had a dream one night that I was watching a KOAT newscast from 2021.  The station was still using camera v2, Image News, their 1999 set; and Mike Lewis still provided the voice-overs.

• Like 1

• Weeters changed the title to Previous Hearst graphics
  • 3 months later...
On 6/14/2017 at 10:53 PM, Conrad said:

I have seen somewhere else (perhaps on this site) that a company called TAG made the ring graphics. Does anybody know what TAG stands for? And if TAG did not make it, might it have been made in-house?

After some digging, TAG did make the 2003/04 "ring" graphics, http://web.archive.org/web/20071017021506/http://www.t-a-g.com/portfolio/onair_hearst.html

Unfortunately, the video does not work. (Not sure if it was a demo reel or just a compilation of WESH using it, the link on their home page suggests the latter.)

• Like 1

And here is a promo for a KCRA newscast in spring 2000.  This was right when the station unveiled a new set and began using its customized version of the B Package, but continued using the pre-Hearst graphics.  I wonder if at that time only the opens and talent rejoins were from camera v2 and everything else stayed as is until the fall of 2000 when everything was updated to camera v2.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 4:05 PM, Matt Jackson said:

The rings background ended up reused by WLWT in 2012 with the debut of their then-new graphics.

I like this. It’s unique and they differed from the first Hearst HD package. However I am surprised that this was 2013 and they didn’t get the diagrid 1.0 before the Olympics. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

I like this. It’s unique and they differed from the first Hearst HD package. However I am surprised that this was 2013 and they didn’t get the diagrid 1.0 before the Olympics. 

Thanks for summing up the graphics as unique, also, I forgot to mention PHL 17 alum Mike Dardis currently works at WLWT as the anchor for thr 5:00pm, 5:30pm, 6:00pm and 11:00pm newscasts.

Edited by Matt Jackson