Previous Hearst graphics

HearstArgyleFan90

if I remember correctly KOAT got rid of the camera madate around 2003 but kept "Image News" until KOAT got the Newsmusic Central package (initially with the WTNCF signature despite having the "Coverage You Can Count On" slogan until KOAT switched to the CYCCO signature in 2005.

Actually KOAT used the CYCCO signature the entire time they had the NewsMusic Central package (I've seen YouTube vídeos of KOAT newscasts from 2004 before they switched to the rings graphics). Only the talent rejoins used the WTNCF signature at the time.

• Like 1

In 2000. The NMSA says KOAT got Image News in 1998, which is incorrect.

But isn't it possible that KOAT used Image News in tandem with The One And Only from the end of 1999 until early 2000, using the pre-Hearst graphics and the camera mandate in tandem with one another (only the news opens and talent rejoins being the camera mandate and everything else in the pre-HA graphics - I noticed that's what KSBW did the first few months they used Image News)? Also, Conrad, didn't you live in Albuquerque or New Mexico at that time? If so do you also remember when in the fall of 1999 KOAT got its first H-A mandated set (it looked very similar to the one WTAE used from 1999 to 2007)? Or did you use to work for Hearst-Argyle?

KCRA got their own version of Revolution in 2000. with a complete mandate thereafter until they switched to the NewsMusic Central Package in 2004.

Which was called B Package at the time. The duopoly of KCRA and KQCA were the only known stations using this version of B Package, which had the Where The News Comes First signature. Around December 2014, B Package was renamed Revolution after WMUR and WIS (a Raycom station) stopped using it.

• Like 2

But isn't it possible that KOAT used Image News in tandem with The One And Only from the end of 1999 until early 2000, using the pre-Hearst graphics and the camera mandate in tandem with one another (only the news opens and talent rejoins being the camera mandate and everything else in the pre-HA graphics - I noticed that's what KSBW did the first few months they used Image News)? Also, Conrad, didn't you live in Albuquerque or New Mexico at that time? If so do you also remember when in the fall of 1999 KOAT got its first H-A mandated set (it looked very similar to the one WTAE used from 1999 to 2007)? Or did you use to work for Hearst-Argyle?

I was born in 2003, and I always lived in Phoenix, Arizona, like 4 other users I know of on this site. I never worked for Hearst-Argyle, and I'm only 14. So, I don't remember exactly when KOAT got their first H-A mandated set. However, I still want you to give me the NewsActive3 compilation showing WCVB's "transition" opens (camera graphics with Newsmusic Central package). There seems to be no other signs of it on YouTube.

• Like 2

I have seen somewhere else (perhaps on this site) that a company called TAG made the ring graphics. Does anybody know what TAG stands for? And if TAG did not make it, might it have been made in-house?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
I still want you to give me the NewsActive3 compilation showing WCVB's "transition" opens (camera graphics with Newsmusic Central package). There seems to be no other signs of it on YouTube.

Found a WCVB newscast from early 2004 from when they were using the camera mandate with the Newsmusic Central package.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

A few years ago, I remember seeing a video of a WPBF newscast from around 2006, and they were still using the camera graphics.  But by that time almost all the other Hearst stations were already using the rings graphics.  Perhaps WPBF was one of the last stations to receive the updated graphics at the time (most stations continued using the camera graphics into 2005 but got the rings graphics later that same year). 

WPBF also debuted the floating logo graphics rather late; they were introduced in September 2009 on the same day they rolled out a new set. 

Edited by HearstArgyleFan90
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2019 at 4:23 PM, HearstArgyleFan90 said:

WPBF also debuted the floating logo graphics rather late; they were introduced in September 2009 on the same day they rolled out a new set. 

A lot of stations got those graphics as they were undergoing SD to HD refits. Now while they didn’t go HD until a year later they were probably already switched to VizRT which it seemed a lot of their stations used.  WBAL got the logo graphics when they went HD and Viz. 

Edited by rkolsen

• 9 months later...
On 1/21/2019 at 2:23 PM, HearstArgyleFan90 said:

A few years ago, I remember seeing a video of a WPBF newscast from around 2006, and they were still using the camera graphics.  But by that time almost all the other Hearst stations were already using the rings graphics.  Perhaps WPBF was one of the last stations to receive the updated graphics at the time (most stations continued using the camera graphics into 2005 but got the rings graphics later that same year). 

Sorry to bump, but I thought I read somewhere that WPBF got the ring graphics alongside the Newsmusic Central package in 2004?

Timeline of Hearst graphics:

November 1995: Camera v1 (on WCVB), retired 1998

Late 1997: Camera v2 (on WISN). B Package/Revolution first appeared in fall 1998 on KOCO, and updated opens (including talent opens) were introduced on KCRA around April 2000 alongside B Package Series 3. Image News Series 5 and 6 debuted later that year on KMBC. Retired 2005/2006.

2002: WMUR/KITV Camera, retired on KITV in 2005 and replaced by Ring. On WMUR, it received updates in later years, starting with a major update in 2005 before it was retired in 2011

April 2004: Ring (on WESH and WLWT), although the Newsmusic Central package was intoduced four months before in December 2003. Retired September 2012, on WMTW

February 2007: Floating Logo (on KCRA), retired 2014, on WMUR

July 2012: Diagrid v1, on WESH, with WBAL getting it the following day, still in use on WMUR

January 2018: Diagrid v2

Edited by Conrad

On 10/30/2019 at 6:40 PM, Conrad said:

Sorry to bump, but I thought I read somewhere that WPBF got the ring graphics alongside the Newsmusic Central package in 2004?

Timeline of Hearst graphics:

November 1995: Camera v1 (on WCVB), retired 1998

Late 1997: Camera v2 (on WISN). B Package/Revolution first appeared in fall 1998 on KOCO, and updated opens (including talent opens) were introduced on KCRA around April 2000 alongside B Package Series 3. Image News Series 5 and 6 debuted later that year on KMBC. Retired 2005/2006.

2002: WMUR/KITV Camera, retired on KITV in 2005 and replaced by Ring. On WMUR, it received updates in later years, starting with a major update in 2005 before it was retired in 2011

April 2004: Ring (on WESH and WLWT), although the Newsmusic Central package was intoduced four months before in December 2003. Retired September 2012, on WMTW

February 2007: Floating Logo (on KCRA), retired 2014, on WMUR

July 2012: Diagrid v1, on WESH, with WBAL getting it the following day, still in use on WMUR

January 2018: Diagrid v2

I also remember seeing a promo for WPBF news from around 2004, and while they were using the Newsmusic Central package, they still had the camera v2 graphics.

Camera v2 I think actually debuted in the fall 1998 on WCVB, and then WTAE, KOCO, KMBC, WLWT, and WBAL  switched to those graphics later that year.  KOCO and WLWT debuted B Package (now revolution) at that time as well.  WISN and WPBF switched to camera v2 in early 1999, then followed by WESH, KSBW, WPTZ, WAPT, and KOAT in late 1999/early 2000.  Most of the ex-Pulitzer stations debuted camera v2 in the fall of 2000.  Interestingly, KMBC continued using camera v2 until the fall of 2005, and then debuted their own variation ring.

KOAT began using the rings graphics in late 2004, although they switched over from Image News to the Newsmusic Central package in January of that year.  I believe WYFF also began using ring around the same time.

As previously mentioned, KOAT switched to floating logo in April 2008, five months before getting a new set (the design is identical to the sets WCVB and WTAE in 2007).

WMUR started using its variation of diagrid v2 I think earlier this year.

Diagrid v2 debuted on NBC stations in January 2018 starting with WESH.  KCCI and WLKY got these graphics in March; and finally the ABC stations switched to Diagrid v2 in April.

Edited by HearstArgyleFan90

Forreal, can we talk about the success story that Hearst has had with standardization? I feel like we’ve all at some point or another downed companies for making all their stations look cookie cutter and standardized, particularly CBS O&Os, but Hearst has been doing it for over two decades and somehow does a hell of a good job with it.

32 minutes ago, KentBrockman said:

Forreal, can we talk about the success story that Hearst has had with standardization? I feel like we’ve all at some point or another downed companies for making all their stations look cookie cutter and standardized, particularly CBS O&Os, but Hearst has been doing it for over two decades and somehow does a hell of a good job with it.

To be honest that's because Hearst knows how to do standardization correctly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

To be honest that's because Hearst knows how to do standardization correctly.

2 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

If I had to boil it down is because they have a staffed hub, that works with designers (if it’s not in house) and everything is based on the same VizRT platform.  The latter alone saves them a lot of headaches as they can design one asset and push it to all stations.

CBS and Sinclair just to name two all have stations running different graphics hardware.  They literally get the files I believe in After Effects (or whatever format) and are told to make it work.  That’s how you get some mish mash of bad iterations of relatively good packages.  As for CBS from what I’ve heard on the board and elsewhere it’s essentially WCBS commissioning a new package that gets shared down the line (right @Weeters?)

Edited by rkolsen
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 6:17 PM, rkolsen said:

As for CBS from what I’ve heard on the board and elsewhere it’s essentially WCBS commissioning a new package that gets shared down the line (right @Weeters?)

The last couple O&O looks (from 2010 onward) were all done mostly in-house ("Blue Helio"/Linear Drift/whatever he's going by these days was only called in to work on some 3D animation on this current one) by WCBS, and distributed to the other group members. Most stations in the group are on Chyron, but a handful (off the top of my head: WBBM and KCBS/KCAL) are on VizRT. I believe they just kind of share the CG system files among themselves as needed. Other art assets are distributed among the group, and it's left up to the station's in-house artists to implement them. Most stations have different monitor graphic templates to fill out, so they'll take the source files that, say, WBBM sends out and modify them to their needs.

A lot of hubbed groups don't do this, and instead stations will get generic monitor graphic templates customized for a particular monitor configuration that will display the hub's preferred formats. Scripps does a lot of this, since their graphics style guide calls for three image formats that everything must fit within: 3x3, 4x3, and 16x9. 

I have heard rumors in the past of CBS wanting to hub graphics properly (along with another O&O station group (since CBS is one of two not already hubbed, it shouldn't be hard to figure out which)), but there apparently hasn't been much movement, probably because of the Viacom thing. Better to blame it on the new corporate overlords!

• Weeters changed the title to Previous Hearst graphics