Previous Hearst graphics

HearstArgyleFan90

I'm new to this forum, but I have a somewhat strange fascination with previous Hearst graphics, especially the "camera" graphics that were used 1995-2004 (updated in 1998). Now here's what I'm curious about:

- around which time did a particular station start using the camera graphics, including the 1998 update

- the thinner L3s in the updated camera were in Franklin Gothic in the blue area while in Bank Gothic in the red/black strip below, unlike the first version which was all in Bank Gothic. Did they debut in very late 1999 or early 2000? Which station first used it?

- WESH, when they switched to these graphics in 1999, used L3s that appeared to be in a shiny lavender on top while white on bottom. What other Hearst stations used that exact color scheme in '99 (WAPT)?

- I'm from New Mexico, and I remember when KOAT used the camera graphics. More recently I watched videos on the Internet of segments from KOAT newscasts from the fall of 1999. They already switched to a new set (looked almost exactly like the one WTAE used at the time) but were still using the last graphics package from when they were owned by Pulitzer. But is it possible that from December 1999 until January 2000, only the news and talent opens were from the HA camera graphics package while everything else being from the Pulitzer package? And when they completed the switch over in January 2000, did the L3s use the same color scheme WESH used in the fall of 1999?

I know that when KSBW began using the HA graphics in '99, only the news opens and talent opens were from that package. Everything else was from their 1997 package before Smith Broadcasting swapped the station to HA.

- About the package that succeeded the camera (call it "ring"), I read that it debuted in 2003 along with Jerome Gilmer's Hearst-Argyle news music package. But most stations still used the camera graphics, even though they dropped Image News or The B Package. Which station debuted the ring  graphics?

• Like 2

I live in Oklahoma City (KOCO) and they debuted the Camera mandate when they updated it in 1998 (of course they went from "5 News" to "Eyewitness News 5" that year) and they kept it till 2005 and they continued to use "Revolution (a.k.a B Package) until 2005 when they finally switched to the NewsMusicCentral package.

What's so strange about KOCO is they held on to the "Camera Graphics" and "B Package" until 2 years after WESH in Orlando were the first Hearst-owned station to debut that graphics/music package yet it only took 8 months before KOCO got the diagrid graphics and "Strive" in April 2013 (also they dropped the "Eyewitness News 5" moniker in favor of "KOCO 5 News" when they got the new graphics and music in 2013)

I think THIS is the Ring package HearstArgyleFan90 was talking about.

WLWT and WESH debuted it at the same time. WLWT debuted it with their Set Refresh (and their new Power of 5 Radar Network) in 2004. Around 2009, stations were deviating from that package to do in house Refreshes, (See WLKY, WBAL, KSBW, KCRA)

Then the 2012 Mandate was enforced.

WLWT and WESH debuted it at the same time. WLWT debuted it with their Set Refresh (and their new Power of 5 Radar Network) in 2004. Around 2009, stations were deviating from that package to do in house Refreshes, (See WLKY, WBAL, KSBW, KCRA)

Then the 2012 Mandate was enforced.

I see. It appears that in 2009 the refreshes coincided with more stations going to HD and they seemed to be standardized for the most part. The tickers, lower thirds, and the full screen graphics templates appear to be the same (or extremely similar - guess equipment wasn't as standardized then). The openings and the full screen backgrounds appear to be where they differed.

• Like 3

As for the "camera" opens, I think WCVB was the first one with them way back in 95- mainly because an image of their satellite dishes would be used for every other station's intros (the image of the dishes that would "shrink" to reveal the images of anchors). WBAL and WTAE I believe started using the graphics/music around the same time.

• Like 4

Don't quote me on this but I think certain elements may have been syndicated.

Is this what you mean by the ring open?

Also, it's worth checking out this website Television by Design. They made the Hearst package along with many others during the 90s and early 2000s.

I'm not sure about Television by Design creating the 1995 'camera' graphics. It's still a mystery knowing who made it.

WLWT and WESH debuted it at the same time. WLWT debuted it with their Set Refresh.

KOAT also debuted the "rings" package in the fall of 2004. But their set refresh was in 2007. And then they switched to the "floating logo" package in the spring of 2008, a few months before they debuted their current set.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
WCVB was the first H-A station with the ring graphics. They introduced it in December 2003.

Interesting, because on a collection of news opens from NewsActive3, I came across a WCVB open which used the NewsMusicCentral package but still had the camera graphics. Maybe they got the NewsMusicCentral package a few months before the rings graphics.

Initially I thought WESH was the first H-A station with the rings package. Afterall, they were the first one with the diagrid package and Strive; and they were also the first ex-Pulitzer station to use the camera graphics in 1999.

I live in Oklahoma City (KOCO) and they debuted the Camera mandate when they updated it in 1998 (of course they went from "5 News" to "Eyewitness News 5" that year) and they kept it till 2005 and they continued to use "Revolution (a.k.a B Package) until 2005 when they finally switched to the NewsMusicCentral package.

What's so strange about KOCO is they held on to the "Camera Graphics" and "B Package" until 2 years after WESH in Orlando were the first Hearst-owned station to debut that graphics/music package yet it only took 8 months before KOCO got the diagrid graphics and "Strive" in April 2013 (also they dropped the "Eyewitness News 5" moniker in favor of "KOCO 5 News" when they got the new graphics and music in 2013)

Wasn't KOCO the only Hearst station not to use the NewsMusicCentral package while still using the camera mandate (in other words they began using the NewsMusicCentral package and the ring graphics at the same time)?

Interesting, because on a collection of news opens from NewsActive3, I came across a WCVB open which used the NewsMusicCentral package but still had the camera graphics. Maybe they got the NewsMusicCentral package a few months before the rings graphics.

Initially I thought WESH was the first H-A station with the rings package. Afterall, they were the first one with the diagrid package and Strive; and they were also the first ex-Pulitzer station to use the camera graphics in 1999.

Where can I find that WCVB open? Give me a link; seems like the News Music Central package came out before the Hearst ring graphics; I thought both came out at the same time.

Here is KETV using the camera graphics with the Hearst TV News Music Package from Newsmusic Central in 2004.

I was talking about WCVB. And besides, I already watched that video before.

Just as a clarification, I'm quite certain TVbD did not make the camera graphics. They don't share any of the group's major "fingerprints", and certainly would have shown up in a demo reel or on the client list on their website...

As for the ring graphics, the Newsmusic Central package did indeed come first...this is well-documented on WKLY and WESH, aside from the KETV open above.

• Like 2

But WESH and WLKY first used the Newsmusic Central package at the same time as when WCVB debuted the ring graphics in Dec. 2003. Also, WLKY was misspelled as WKLY in the above post. I forgot to use this as a reply to the above post. Anyways, I still want a link to WCVB using the Newsmusic Central package with the camera graphics in 2003.

Wasn't KOCO the only Hearst station not to use the NewsMusicCentral package while still using the camera mandate (in other words they began using the NewsMusicCentral package and the ring graphics at the same time)?

Yes sir they did as a matter of fact if I remember correctly KOAT got rid of the camera madate around 2003 but kept "Image News" until KOAT got the Newsmusic Central package (initially with the WTNCF signature despite having the "Coverage You Can Count On" slogan until KOAT switched to the CYCCO signature in 2005.

Also KOCO switched to the WTNCF signature for it's Opens and Talent Rejoins in 2010 but kept the "Live. Local. Late Breaking" signature for it's news closes until they got Strive in 2013.

Yes sir they did as a matter of fact if I remember correctly KOAT got rid of the camera madate around 2003 but kept "Image News" until KOAT got the Newsmusic Central package (initially with the WTNCF signature despite having the "Coverage You Can Count On" slogan until KOAT switched to the CYCCO signature in 2005.

Also KOCO switched to the WTNCF signature for it's Opens and Talent Rejoins in 2010 but kept the "Live. Local. Late Breaking" signature for it's news closes until they got Strive in 2013.

Actually, KOAT used their own variations of the camera graphics between 2003 and 2004. In 2004, KOAT got the Newsmusic Central package, and KOAT also got the ring graphics later that year.

Just caught this thread.... having remembered a company with "One80" or something close in their title who had produced graphics packages for Hearst-Argyle.... I believe the company, who's website was once http://www.180visual.com created the original or perhaps second generation of Hearst mandated graphics.

There is some discussion about it on this super old thread back from 2001:

https://tvforum.uk/tvhome/granada-tonight-looks-like-abc-35653/

Anywhooo, there's another rabbit hole for any of you to jump into and do some searching around.... may or may not lead anywhere!

Here is a newer URL for "One80"

http://www.one80visual.com/

Actually, KOAT used their own variations of the camera graphics between 2003 and 2004. In 2004, KOAT got the Newsmusic Central package, and KOAT also got the ring graphics later that year.

Do you (or anyone) remember when KOAT first got the camera graphics and Image News?

• Weeters changed the title to Previous Hearst graphics