The Cable News Wars

KevCor

For the first time in its 21 year history, MSNBC bested both CNN and FOX by winning not only 25-54 demo, but total viewers last week. In addition, the network was also the second in all of basic cable, behind playoff basketball-driven TNT.

Quoting The Hill, "For the week of May 15, MSNBC's weekday prime averaged 2.440 million total viewers, with Fox second with 2.405 million and CNN third with 1.649 million. For adults aged 25-54, MSNBC averaged 611,000 viewers. CNN finished second with 589,000 and Fox third with 497,000."

For the individual hours, CNN's AC360 won at the 8pm hour, while Rachel and Lawrence won the 9 and 10pm hours, respectively.

The last time FOX was third in the ratings was in June 2000. In addition, Coop's five-day straight ratings success over both Fox and MSNBC is the first for the network since just after 9/11.

Edit: add story link (H/T mre29)

For real news junkies like myself, I couldn't be happier at this news.

Rachel Maddow has become a breath of fresh air: just straightforward, viewer-friendly analysis which is good for us after that O'Reilly garbage we've been eating for years.

I mean, MSNBC and Fox News are both good. I find MSNBC more appealing because they don't flash a breaking news banner every 5 minutes and I find them more in depth in their stories. However, to me FOX News has more content than any other cable news channel.

I find MSNBC more appealing because they don't flash a breaking news banner every 5 minutes

Have to disagree. MSNBC has "breaking news" on their lower thirds just as much as CNN does. I would start a new thread about it, but this seems like good as place as any to mention it.

All 3 networks, but CNN and MSNBC especially (more so CNN) need to stop labeling EVERYTHING as breaking news. What happened to "Just In" or even better, "Right Now"? For CNN it's like "BREAKING NEWS: Trump back in America", "BREAKING NEWS: Daily Press Conference." The press conference really upsets me. If it's a DAILY SCHEDULED EVENT, how is it breaking news?

It used to be that breaking news was sudden, unplanned, significant news. Now it's anything and everything, even planned events days in advance.

Have to disagree. MSNBC has "breaking news" on their lower thirds just as much as CNN does. I would start a new thread about it, but this seems like good as place as any to mention it.

All 3 networks, but CNN and MSNBC especially (more so CNN) need to stop labeling EVERYTHING as breaking news. What happened to "Just In" or even better, "Right Now"? For CNN it's like "BREAKING NEWS: Trump back in America", "BREAKING NEWS: Daily Press Conference." The press conference really upsets me. If it's a DAILY SCHEDULED EVENT, how is it breaking news?

It used to be that breaking news was sudden, unplanned, significant news. Now it's anything and everything, even planned events days in advance.

I was comparing MSNBC to FOX News.

Archived