KTLA adding a 10am?

CircleSeven

Scott from FTVLive said that Channel 5 could be (ugh!) expanding to its already extremely-long morning newscast.

It's new 10am hour of its morning broadcast could debut on June 12.

Should this stick, the station would air SEVEN straight hours of local news in the morning.

That's just plain pitiful.

Believe it or not, I believe LA can sustain this additional hour. KTLAs brand and the Morning News brand are very strong. I don't think they wouldn't have taken this on if they don't see themselves being successful. Plus, I think they are continuing to capitalize on KTTVs extreme weakness in the mornings right now.

If you count the 3:30am KTLA Morning News Rewind show, that's 7.5hrs for them in the morning!!

It's surprising at this point that there isn't a 24 hour local news channel on cable, a la NY1 or News Channel 8. Was there ever such a thing in LA, I can't remember off the top of my head.

OCN was the closest thing to a quasi-24 hour news channel in the Los Angeles area (Orange County) http://articles.latimes.com/2001/sep/08/business/fi-43395. Theta Cable/Group W/Century/Adelphia/Time Warner/Spectrum have been the providers to the city of Los Angeles over the decades and never initiated a cable channel. Having personally seen Theta, Group W, Century and Adelphia studios in various parts of Los Angeles from the late 70's through early 2000's, they all ran it on the cheap. But with up to 7 tv newsrooms in Los Angeles at its peak, who really ever needed it.

Guest Former Member 207
OCN was the closest thing to a quasi-24 hour news channel in the Los Angeles area (Orange County) http://articles.latimes.com/2001/sep/08/business/fi-43395. Theta Cable/Group W/Adelphia/Time Warner/Spectrum have been the providers to the city of Los Angeles over the decades and never initiated a cable channel. Having personally seen Theta, Group W and Adelphia studios in various parts of Los Angeles from the late 70's through early 2000's, they all ran it on the cheap. But with up to 7 tv newsrooms in Los Angeles at its peak, who really ever needed it.

Ironically enough, one of OCN's first content partners was KTLA. OCN had a reporter come on the KTLA Morning News (I forget if it was once or twice per show), and do a rundown of daily headlines from Orange County. Since the Orange County Register was a part-owner in OCN, some of their content was also included in those KTLA-OCN daily rundowns. In the couple of years before OCN shut down for good, they and KCBS-TV partnered up on some stories as well.

The only local cable news service currently in the market is Spectrum News in the Antelope Valley (far-northern Los Angeles County).

The only local cable news service currently in the market is Spectrum News in the Antelope Valley (far-northern Los Angeles County).

...Which is being run by "N.B.G"...while hubby "Gonzo" anchors in da Bako just a few crow miles away....

Just WHAT are those 2 up to?

Me as a kid (the local news connoisseur that I was) would've loved this news

(and the realization that the LA market is basically a 24-hour cable network now).

Me right now finds this utterly insane.

Remember KTLA is also committing to having the helo up during that hour also.

Believe it or not, I believe LA can sustain this additional hour. KTLAs brand and the Morning News brand are very strong. I don't think they wouldn't have taken this on if they don't see themselves being successful. Plus, I think they are continuing to capitalize on KTTVs extreme weakness in the mornings right now.

If you count the 3:30am KTLA Morning News Rewind show, that's 7.5hrs for them in the morning!!

I agree they are capitalizing on KTTV's weakness as KTTV already has a 30-minute 10 a.m. show. With KTLA's numbers continuing to rise in the mornings, makes sense for them to expand.

If you includes weekends, this would put KTLA's news output to 71.5 hours a week compared to WGN's 70.5 hours a week.

I was talking about weekdays only, not cumulative. Right now, KTLA has 10.5 hours each weekday. (11 if you count the rewind.) The extra hour would take them up to 11.5 (or 12). WGN has 12.5 hours each weekday.

But, yes, you're right ... if you add weekends and look at the week as a whole, KTLA narrowly overtakes WGN.

WGN also airs an hour of Celebrity Name Game at 10a, but I doubt they'd follow KTLA's lead and replace it with news because then they'd have nonstop news from 4a-1p weekdays.

I was talking about weekdays only, not cumulative. Right now, KTLA has 10.5 hours each weekday. (11 if you count the rewind.) The extra hour would take them up to 11.5 (or 12). WGN has 12.5 hours each weekday.

8.2 hours of TV News is the minimum recommended daily amount of news for the average diet. The KTLA show is much leaner and healthier for you. The WGN show is more fatty...and it's chocked with sugar...but it's oh so very yummy on a cold winter day.

Remember KTLA is also committing to having the helo up during that hour also.

I should hope so in Los Angeles. Last week, KNBC had both of their helicopters on simultaniously with both helicopter reporters covering different angles of a car chase which is the first I've seen in this town. They stayed on NBC 4 over 10 minutes into Jimmy Fallon's show, too.

I should hope so in Los Angeles. Last week, KNBC had both of their helicopters on simultaniously with both helicopter reporters covering different angles of a car chase which is the first I've seen in this town. They stayed on NBC 4 over 10 minutes into Jimmy Fallon's show, too.

They continued it online with the TM reporter finishing up when KNBC-1 had to get fuel. If you want to get real hard core KNBC Chopper fans Monitor the 161.760 and the 450mhz system (2-way) in LA...track the Airships on Flightradar24.com...and folo on the live KNBC internet helo feeds....

Don't jinx it. KTLA executives are reading this thread for ideas.
Considering how many people I see on the freeways in the 4 am hour, there is highly likely an audience for it in Southern California (as long as you can get advertisers on board).

Archived