Sunday Night with Megan Kelly

G2000

I know I have zero interest in watching it.

Alex Jones told his listeners/viewers not to watch, and showed them his version of the interview. Sandy Hook survivors and gun-control advocates are telling people not to watch just because Alex Jones. Fox News fanboys hated and hate Megyn, so they won't watch. Regular NBC News viewers unhappy with Megyn won't watch.

So... who would watch this steaming pile?

I don't get the hate. And I don't get the pile-on. I think Megyn's great, and, if you'll excuse the pun - I've found her to be admirably 'fair and balanced'. If anyone can show me evidence of her bias, go ahead. I also don't get the Alex Jones thing. OK, it's Alex being Alex - creating a car crash spectacle that everyone wants to watch. I have no problem with airing his (clinically insane) thoughts. Prediction - it will rate big.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get the hate. And I don't get the pile-on. I think Megyn's great, and, if you'll excuse the pun - I've found her to be admirably 'fair and balanced'. If anyone can show me evidence of her bias, go ahead. I also don't get the Alex Jones thing. OK, it's Alex being Alex - creating a car crash spectacle that everyone wants to watch. I have no problem with airing his (clinically insane) thoughts. Prediction - it will rate big.

First off, do not confuse 'car crash' with delusional. Jerry Springer. Maury. 'Jack-ass'. much of America's got talent. Much of Reality tv is 'Car Crash Spectacle'. Unlike the subject at hand, they're ENTERTAINING. Alex Jones as Myron put it well, is a third rate radio host who couldn't break into mainstream radio in the 1st place. He has a platform that attracts a specific audience that already exist and fuel the flames that already affects the political landscape, thus being a CONSPIRACY THEORIST. Have you ever seen coverage of Sandy Hook for you to come to your conclusion? It's a dangerous agenda that pretty much, in part, played in this past election. It makes the U.S political debate that more toxic than it is. In general, you may dismiss those theorists as a joke, but this guy is threatening thru words. Mind you, his interview should be seen so (hopefully) he gets rightfully shamed and take a permanent exit left.

In part, I say the viewer should have the right to see Jones IF they want to, as disheartening to say. Similar to twitter troll milo yiannopolous' appearance on real time with bill maher. One panelist boycotted prior to the broadcast. Milo eventually got banned from twitter for violating terms of service. Basically he ravaged leslie jones as well as being a well documented dick.

I know I have zero interest in watching it.

Alex Jones told his listeners/viewers not to watch, and showed them his version of the interview. Sandy Hook survivors and gun-control advocates are telling people not to watch just because Alex Jones. Fox News fanboys hated and hate Megyn, so they won't watch. Regular NBC News viewers unhappy with Megyn won't watch.

So... who would watch this steaming pile?

1. Those who want to see Megyn's show crash and burn
  2. Those who are simply uninformed and watching out of sheer curiosity

As far as Alex Jones, he makes Rush Limbaugh look like a liberal. I've seen his show a few times and I've actually laughed at the sheer stupidity of some of his ramblings. If this was 60 Minutes and one of the journalists like Scott Pelley was interviewing him, there wouldn't be as much backlash because 60 Minutes has a sliver of dignity and doesn't try to prop up one specific anchor. However, Megyn Kelly is not a journalist but rather a sensationalist, propping up her own brand. She's only famous because of Trumpy and NBC is trying too hard to gamble on that notoriety. Like another poster said, this interview may damage NBC more than the GM scandal.

I know it's very very early but is there a possibility that NBC is already looking for a reason to unload her? We know they don't have an issue buying out contracts + other fees and taking a hit PR wise. Atleast this time it's not the case of a long time documented anchor or personality being forced out either by scandal or jealously.

I know it's very very early but is there a possibility that NBC is already looking for a reason to unload her? We know they don't have an issue buying out contracts + other fees and taking a hit PR wise. Atleast this time it's not the case of a long time documented anchor or personality being forced out either by scandal or jealously.

Highly unlikely.

Although i'm willing to bet that corporate is pissed off at Andy Lack for everything that has gone on in regards to this controversy. Nevermind that Megyn was the one that interviewed Jones or may have been the one to impose editorial control over how the interview was presented, etc. The fact of the matter is that this is all on Andy--from Megyn's hiring, to her show, to how he handled the Laurence O'Donnell situation.

How long of leash Comcast continues to give Lack remains to be seen. I can't imagine that he still has the same amount of free reigns now than when he first came aboard...

I'm with you, I don't understand the Megan hate. I always found her to be fair, tough, and personable. I'm rotting for her and rooting for the show to do well.

Where was it that Jones said during the interview that he trusted Kelly would be fair but would also record the interview himself? Why would they let him record his interview?

Why wouldn't they let him record it?

Are they gonna tell him "no"? What would be the reason?

Won't be able to watch tonight. May catch it online.

But I also don't understand the level of hate thrown at Megyn Kelly and NBC before the interview even aired. If she throws him softball questions tonight and gives him a pass without challenging previous statement then, by all means, criticize that.

She is a journalist. NBC News is a news organization. It's their job to report the opinions of people in society, even those that we strongly disagree with and who are vilified by many. At the same time, Alex Jones sets the agenda for what millions of Americans - American voters, by the way - think and how they respond to topics in the news. It might not be healthy, but the country deserves a look at what and who is shaping the minds of millions of others Americans.

I've watched each episode of the show, and I have to say I've been a little underwhelmed.

First, the music and graphics seem overly rudimentary, as though they were thrown together at the last minute. The music, specifically, is more inline with "Dateline Mystery" than with a show meant to be about weighty journalism.

As far as talent goes: sure, it's nice to see the typical Dateline correspondents. But they don't differentiate the show at all. I would see to it that Lester Holt, Matt Lauer, Savannah Guthrie, and Kate Snow are regular correspondents on the show to give it more gravitas.

Finally, presentation: I don't think Megyn sitting behind the desk in the newsroom does justice to what they're trying to accomplish with the show. I think it'd be far better for her to record the show intro and package introductions from the field. It probably doesn't even matter where. But seeing her outside the studio would, I think, focus the show on its reporting.

Won't be able to watch tonight. May catch it online.

But I also don't understand the level of hate thrown at Megyn Kelly and NBC before the interview even aired. If she throws him softball questions tonight and gives him a pass without challenging previous statement then, by all means, criticize that.

She is a journalist. NBC News is a news organization. It's their job to report the opinions of people in society, even those that we strongly disagree with and who are vilified by many. At the same time, Alex Jones sets the agenda for what millions of Americans - American voters, by the way - think and how they respond to topics in the news. It might not be healthy, but the country deserves a look at what and who is shaping the minds of millions of others Americans.

She was a former Fox News anchor trying to crossover to traditional media. She also is a certified fame chaser, she is not about being a journalist she wants to be a star. Viewers don't like "journalists" trying to be stars. She rubs people the wrong way, she is overbearing and people believe she uses sex appeal to get over in the business.

I've watched each episode of the show, and I have to say I've been a little underwhelmed.

First, the music and graphics seem overly rudimentary, as though they were thrown together at the last minute. The music, specifically, is more inline with "Dateline Mystery" than with a show meant to be about weighty journalism.

As far as talent goes: sure, it's nice to see the typical Dateline correspondents. But they don't differentiate the show at all. I would see to it that Lester Holt, Matt Lauer, Savannah Guthrie, and Kate Snow are regular correspondents on the show to give it more gravitas.

Finally, presentation: I don't think Megyn sitting behind the desk in the newsroom does justice to what they're trying to accomplish with the show. I think it'd be far better for her to record the show intro and package introductions from the field. It probably doesn't even matter where. But seeing her outside the studio would, I think, focus the show on its reporting.

Kate Snow is already on the program. NBC politics is very obvious no top host appears on another hosts show as correspondents unless it is contribution or streamline for a news story. You won't see Lester Holt hosting Meet The Press nor you won't see Chuck Todd hosting the Today show.

Megyn Kelly is on her own, NBC wanted the news magazine to revolve around her. Whereas with 60 Minutes, there is no star it is all an ensemble cast.

I caught a majority of it by happenstance (was watching something on the DVR, when it was over..channel was on NBC).

IMO, the interview wasn't controversial nor earth-shattering. I get people are upset they would interview Jones but, as Brokaw alluded to in his commentary, sometimes you have to shine a light on things (i.e... Jones) in order for people to rise up and fight against hate, etc... in our society.

It's really, really sad that some people are unwilling to think for themselves and cling to the nonsense that Jones (and others) spew, but we, as a society, can't turn a blind eye to stuff like this. We have to be willing to expose the nonsense and fight the good fight, if you will.

I missed last week's show but tuned in to watch the whole thing this week.

Honestly, I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. Alex Jones is an unapologetic nutcase, you can get weed delivered through an app, Americans love New Zealand, and Tom Brokaw is still doing his emeritus self righteous wise man bit.

This show is for whom exactly? Shut ins? The elderly? People who still have Hotmail email addresses? It's certainly not for me.

Getting the Putin and Jones interviews was obviously an attempt (and partial success) at trying to make a big splash. Sure, Jones is a person of public interest, and yes, any journalist has any right to interview him. But I will qualify my previous posts by saying that I think NBC grossly miscalculated the end result of having Alex Jones on the show, and they miscalculated their response to the blowback. I still think NBC was right to air it, but what did they get out of this in the long run?

The rest of the show is a watered down 60 Minutes without any of the intellectual heft that makes 60 Minutes worth watching from time to time. I guess it doesn't really matter anyway since this show probably won't run for most of the year. I suppose I'm more interested to see to what extent the 9am hour of the Today show will resemble the Kelly File.

I missed last week's show but tuned in to watch the whole thing this week.

Honestly, I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. Alex Jones is an unapologetic nutcase, you can get weed delivered through an app, Americans love New Zealand, and Tom Brokaw is still doing his emeritus self righteous wise man bit.

This show is for whom exactly? Shut ins? The elderly? People who still have Hotmail email addresses? It's certainly not for me.

Getting the Putin and Jones interviews was obviously an attempt (and partial success) at trying to make a big splash. Sure, Jones is a person of public interest, and yes, any journalist has any right to interview him. But I will qualify my previous posts by saying that I think NBC grossly miscalculated the end result of having Alex Jones on the show, and they miscalculated their response to the blowback. I still think NBC was right to air it, but what did they get out of this in the long run?

The rest of the show is a watered down 60 Minutes without any of the intellectual heft that makes 60 Minutes worth watching from time to time. I guess it doesn't really matter anyway since this show probably won't run for most of the year. I suppose I'm more interested to see to what extent the 9am hour of the Today show will resemble the Kelly File.

The problem is the show is a dumping ground with no true identity. Most of what they have aired thus far, would have been better suited to run on 'Today'. They should have called the show something like 'In Focus w/ Megan Kelly' with pieces that have a more serious/important tone to them. And treated the show more like a news special (something that can easily air any night of the week) instead of regular series. NBC has really painted themselves into a corner.

**Preliminary Ratings **

6/18/17

60 Minutes (CBS) 0.5/3 , 5.31 viewers

Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly (NBC) 0.5/3, 3.53 viewers

(AP)

Megyn Kelly's interview with conspiracy theorist Alex Jones was seen by 3.5 million viewers, according to Nielsen.

Much criticized ahead of time, the report filled roughly one-third of NBC's hour-long ``Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly,'' whose audience was dwarfed by CBS rival ``60 Minutes,'' which drew 5.3 million viewers.

(KSHB registered a 0.7 rating here in Kansas City)

(AP)

Megyn Kelly's interview with conspiracy theorist Alex Jones was seen by 3.5 million viewers, according to Nielsen.

Much criticized ahead of time, the report filled roughly one-third of NBC's hour-long ``Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly,'' whose audience was dwarfed by CBS rival ``60 Minutes,'' which drew 5.3 million viewers.

Ouch.

I never expected Kelly's show to top 60 Minutes (honestly, who would tho), but against a repeat that's gotta hurt.

They made their bed. They should lie on it.

She is gonna get "Sam Championed"...and everyone should have seen this coming from 100 miles away.

So just how much does NBC want to spend? Unless there is a number attached to that "rumor" then that rumor is 100% not credible.

Archived