Public Radio - General Thread

TheRolyPoly

I've noticed there's no thread to talk about public radio so I thought I would start it off.

This thread can be used to talk about programs, podcasts and news on NPR (National Public Radio), PRI (Public Radio International), APM (American Public Media) and PRX (Public Radio Exchange).

Oh, follow @PubMediaFans to talk about public media, not just radio. And yes, I started it and run it.

I love public radio. I never really got into it until I started driving to high school. I'd listen to Morning Edition on the way there, BBC Outlook on the way to lunch, part of Fresh Air on the way back, and then All Things Considered on the way home. I also really liked listening to Forum on KQED. Sorry KPCC, but Larry Mantle is no Michael Krasny.

I think I put this in the chatbox a while ago, but this would be a good place to share it too. I honestly can't stand Morning Edition's music. Great show, but the opening music sounds so dated. Then, recently I went back to hear what it was like in the Bob Edwards days before my time, and I can't believe how much better the previous arrangement was:

My current public radio station is 91.3 WLRN-FM but I'm soon moving up to Gainesville for UF so it will eventually be 89.1 WUFT-FM.

I never listened to public radio until I noticed a Tweet from @NPR last year and thought it was interesting into how NPR was doing things. Now, I'm hooked into NPR and public radio as a whole and its the reason why I listen to podcasts now.

I don't listen all the time, but I started listening to it on and off around 2010. I was bored and was switching to different radio stations and heard a breaking news update that caught my attention (and I don't even remember it being on TV yet until a the early morning shows began for broadcast stations), and it was NPR cutting to BBC News or the World Service about how they found a bomb in Times Square. I always liked the updates from the BBC and the World Service broadcasts. Like I mentioned before, I've listened on and off ever since, but there's a lot of interesting programming on it compared to other talk stations sometimes. My NPR affiliate, WBEZ, is the home-base for "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me," which I've begun enjoying a little more as well.

I don't listen all the time, but I started listening to it on and off around 2010. I was bored and was switching to different radio stations and heard a breaking news update that caught my attention (and I don't even remember it being on TV yet until a the early morning shows began for broadcast stations), and it was NPR cutting to BBC News or the World Service about how they found a bomb in Times Square. I always liked the updates from the BBC and the World Service broadcasts. Like I mentioned before, I've listened on and off ever since, but there's a lot of interesting programming on it compared to other talk stations sometimes. My NPR affiliate, WBEZ, is the home-base for "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me," which I've begun enjoying a little more as well.

WBEZ is also the home to Sound Opinions.

Archived