ABC O&O's Finally Standardizing?

24994J

Many have speculated about it, Weeters has hinted at it, and some of us have dreaded it, but it looks like the KABC graphics package from 2015 just might be coming to all of the ABC-owned stations. Earlier I noticed an updated header on the 8 stations' websites. It's currently only seen in the mobile-friendly layout's condensed form (and yes, that is the wrong WLS logo)...

697956378_Capture_2017-05-15-23-27-001.thumb.png.b018f517562e7592a32c9af7335c62ec.png

There are several versions, all some combination of blue shades, including exact matches for the 3 stations already using the look...

KABC...12bg_kabc.png.76ac5ccab192c7d1bacd1bdd1118cefd.png

KGO...15bg_kgo.png.8dcf884a6427e196cdf549254b70a4f0.png

KFSN...18bg_kfsn.png.b6d8ccfa482e9a657c8c362a72abe35e.png

The other non-California stations are as follows, most with a familiar color palette compared to their current looks...

WABC...11bg_wabc.png.92a6c29b6953937ebb26f35a4845513e.png

WLS...13bg_wls.png.ae2e5419b5ebfc19d8d1f582cb91d759.png

WPVI...14bg_wpvi.png.564863dabb6c091b0a91c7b08e72f95a.png

KTRK...16bg_ktrk.png.c6c61b8e890bfb5adffc34f0e48574fc.png

WTVD...17bg_wtvd.png.ba2b4d2a2380a86f8c4459dbc5c7506b.png

The flagship's current look is a little more than a year old, but was generally panned, WLS will soon debut updated talent opens (graphics unknown), WPVI's package is more than 6 years old, and their set may be seeing some renovations, KTRK debuted new graphics in April of 2015, and WTVD's graphics are due for an update.

Well, now don't get all excited- for all we know, they're just trying to standardize the apps.

That is entirely possible, but I'm going to assume "the worst".

(Full disclosure, I like the package a lot. I just have reservations as to how it'd implemented across the board, and think it's just bit too minimalist for how some of the W stations present their product.)

That is entirely possible, but I'm going to assume "the worst".

(Full disclosure, I like the package a lot. I just have reservations as to how it'd implemented across the board, and think it's just bit too minimalist for how some of the W stations present their product.)

Anything is a welcome upgrade to both WABC's and WPVI's looks at this point.

Well, now don't get all excited- for all we know, they're just trying to standardize the apps.

This.

ABC can (and should!) standardize the apps and IIRC they have been somewhat for some time. Apps and on-air GFX are very very different realms.

I don't think the graphics standardization I heard a rumor about is ready... YET. this is probably just app standardization like has been suggested.

The KFSN implementation wouldn't have been done in-house if they were serious about standardizing right now. Standardization usually involves more tha just standardizing the look, but the hardware as well.

This would actually be something to applaud. Sure, standardization, boo-hoo etc. etc., but once we get that our of system, let's remember that the KABC/KGO graphics are great. It would easily be the best network O&O look, especially if they get the hardware in line to get the full look in all its Viz dynamism glory.

And it's not like they're going to drop Move Closer to Your World with people shoving platters of food at your face on WPVI. I would imagine they would tinker the look for each station, just as they've already done with KABC and KGO. And in my subjective opinion, I don't think any of those east coast looks have been all that good in recent years anyway.

This would actually be something to applaud. Sure, standardization, boo-hoo etc. etc., but once we get that our of system, let's remember that the KABC/KGO graphics are great. It would easily be the best network O&O look, especially if they get the hardware in line to get the full look in all its Viz dyanism glory.

And it's not like they're going to drop Move Closer to Your World with people shoving platters of food at your face on WPVI. I would imagine they would tinker the look for each station, just as they've already done with KABC and KGO. And in my subjective opinion, I don't think any of those east coast looks have been all that good in recent years anyway.

My thoughts exactly.

ABC HAS DONE STANDARDIZED LOOKS. They broke away from it in the mid-90s but still had a house style (and a hub!) until the early 2000s. This would just be a return to that. And if it makes WPVI rein in their style a bit...

I'll add that I am fully expecting WPVI to pick this package up. I was thinking this before these rumors started, though - their promos have been distinctively flat as opposed to the over-the-top CG of the current graphics. The KABC look fits that to a T.

I would hope that they will wait a few years (at most), get every O&O on the same setup and then launch a standardized look. This way, they can start with a brand new graphics package that is fresh and has some input from all of the stations. Even though the KABC look is nice, it's a couple years old, and the minimalist look may not work for every station/market.

Bring it on. KTRK's graphics are awful, the subdued tone of KABC/KGO graphics are welcome.

Ehh, KTRK's graphics aren't that bad, IMO. It's WABC and WPVI that have the worst graphics in the group.

I'm just going to put this to bed right now. We're not standardizing our graphic looks. The reason we (KFSN) took KABC's look is because we liked it and it was already made. KGO taking the same look made the decision easier. Us three west coast stations have always, in some way, shared looks/assets.

I'm just going to put this to bed right now. We're not standardizing our graphic looks. The reason we (KFSN) took KABC's look is because we liked it and it was already made. KGO taking the same look made the decision easier. Us three west coast stations have always, in some way, shared looks/assets.

Well, either way, WPVI is really due for some new graphics!

Archived