TV's in Public

civic110

I've been noticing a lot lately that wherever I go, there seems to be a television. So my question, when you see TV's in public what are they tuned into?

For example, today I was in an auto dealership and they had Ch 7 on their TV.

Many doctor's offices I go to have on either 4 or 7.

The Dunkin Donuts by me has on News12.

The interesting thing that speaks volumes is, I have never been anyplace that has had CBS-2 on their TV.

I'm not complaining about it. I'm just merely interested to see if this is a trend far and wide from my little world.

If you don't want to watch a public TV, like in a waiting room or waiting for donuts or coffee...then don't watch.

I actually thought of this before and actually obsreved this for about a month (Fall 2005). Heres what I found (approximate percentages):

ABC7: 60%

NBC4: 15%

FOX5: 10%

CBS2: 10%

UPN9 & WB11: 5%

This is not taking into account cable channels. When court shows came on, the channel was usually changed. When Soap Operas came on, they were usually changed as well.

Most watched per time period:

7AM: GMA, Today, GDNY

9AM: Live w/ Regis & Kelly, Today

10AM: Tony Danza Show, Ellen, Maury

11AM: The View, The Price Is Right

12PM: Eyewitness News, CBS2 News

12:30: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (almost a complete sweep)

1-3PM: Non-court shows on FOX5, WB11 & UPN9

3PM: Dr. Phil and Non-court shows on FOX5, WB11 & UPN9

4PM: Oprah, Family Fued

5-7PM: station from 4PM

I actually thought of this before and actually obsreved this for about a month (Fall 2005). Heres what I found (approximate percentages):

This is not taking into account cable channels. When court shows came on, the channel was usually changed. When Soap Operas came on, they were usually changed as well.

You mean CW11 and My9?

I'm keen to these observations as well, because when I visit Doctors Offices in the area, its usually tuned to Channel 7. Rarely do I see it on any other channels. And when I'm in some hospitals, the waiting rooms typically have it on Channel 7, especially on Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. I guess thats what the overall public prefers. Its expressed on the ratings of the channel, so it makes sense to put it on what the majority likes.

As for Cable: Common choices are usually Cable News programs, like Fox News Channel and MSNBC suprisingly i have not really seen CNN tuned on. The banks seem to like using FNC and MSNBC.

-Vlad

You mean CW11 and My9?

It would be CW and My9 but abc7 Man said those numbers are from Fall of 2005, when it was still WB and UPN.

No offense, but that is far from scientific or even actual numbers. That is just your experience.

The numbers do seem very out of proportion though. There is no way four times as many public places turn on WABC over WNBC, unless they are handing you the remote.

Rarely do I ever see a place with Fox 5 on. Usually a lot more NY 1 than any of the bottom three networks combined (WNYW, WWOR, WPIX). And WCBS I think leans more towards 15% from my experience, with WNBC more between 25-30% and WABC closer to 45-50%. I do notice that WWOR daytime comedy repeats are on a lot too.

No offense, but that is far from scientific or even actual numbers. That is just your experience.

The numbers do seem very out of proportion though. There is no way four times as many public places turn on WABC over WNBC, unless they are handing you the remote.

Rarely do I ever see a place with Fox 5 on. Usually a lot more NY 1 than any of the bottom three networks combined (WNYW, WWOR, WPIX). And WCBS I think leans more towards 15% from my experience, with WNBC more between 25-30% and WABC closer to 45-50%. I do notice that WWOR daytime comedy repeats are on a lot too.

1) I said not including cable. Last I checked NY1 was not available on rabbit ears.

2)I never said this is scientific.

3)Places included doctors offices, electronic stores (such as Radio Shack, PC Richards, Sears, etc.), Barber Shop, etc. If I went to the same place more than once I only recorded the station once per time period at that particular location.

4)I did ask owners of the business why particular stations were on. The overall reason I got for WABC is b/c ppl enjoy the AM talk shows and Oprah. WNBC did have a bunch of showing till 9am but was switched to ABC7 then for the talk shows. Some did remain through and including Ellen (Not many though). Once Ellen was over the TV's were usually switched to CBS or ABC7.

5) I forgot to mention. The only court show that should be added to my list above was Judge Judy.

This research was done for a college project.

1) I said not including cable. Last I checked NY1 was not available on rabbit ears.

3)Places included doctors offices, electronic stores (such as Radio Shack, PC Richards, Sears, etc.), Barber Shop, etc. If I went to the same place more than once I only recorded the station once per time period at that particular location.

4)I did ask owners of the business why particular stations were on. The overall reason I got for WABC is b/c ppl enjoy the AM talk shows and Oprah. WNBC did have a bunch of showing till 9am but was switched to ABC7 then for the talk shows. Some did remain through and including Ellen (Not many though). Once Ellen was over the TV's were usually switched to CBS or ABC7.

5) I forgot to mention. The only court show that should be added to my list above was Judge Judy.

You know this seems like a great idea for a project that I had already done, lol. Would've been great to use this for a Statistics project that I had already done. I probably would've enjoyed it more. :p

-Vlad

i know you did not mention NY1, and that it is cable, i just thought it should be noted that wnyw wwor and wpix all are much less than what i see of them.

all shows on tv, especially during the day, are really not that entertaining. and i'm guessing there was a large female demographic if you found all these that like wabc talk shows. regis, rachel ray, and the view don't scream great television at me. but the competition, minus the price is right, screams it even less.

i know you did not mention NY1, and that it is cable, i just thought it should be noted that wnyw wwor and wpix all are much less than what i see of them.

all shows on tv, especially during the day, are really not that entertaining. and i'm guessing there was a large female demographic if you found all these that like wabc talk shows. regis, rachel ray, and the view don't scream great television at me. but the competition, minus the price is right, screams it even less.

These were public places like I mentioned in an earlier post. The people watching I don't think were skewed towards the female demographic. They were in places where both male and female usually go to. 2 places were sports bars. I was surprised to see Eyewitness News on in both of them. I did take note of that in my report. The 1 barber sho pthat I did go to had ABC7 on basically all day and was not a beauty salon. In fact there were 2 men and one women getting a haircut at the time. I tried my best to record places that would have a an equal chane of having the an equal famel:male ratio.

Also, Rachel Ray was not on in 2005.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived