PHL17 under Sinclair

PhillyWatch

As rumors become reality, I'm curious as to what's likely to change with WPHL. If they stick to outsourcing the newscast, they couldn't force 6 to run Sinclair pieces/commentary during the 10, could they? Is big Sin up for dumping 6 and expanding the droplet of a news organization 17 has for the morning show? Ring of Honor wrestling is likely to start airing (apparently), along with their Sunday morning newsmagazine. Are there any other Sinclair shows likely to wind up on 17? And the subchannel situation- are we likely going to see TBD end up on .5?

So many possibilities...:eek:

I have to wonder if Sinclair even keeps stations like PHL. They'll need to clear cap space...and a standalone MNTV station with no news operation of its own doesn't seem like it would be high on the priority list, even if it is in a Top 10 market.

This move is probably just as much ideologically-motivated as it is business-motivated...so my guess is SBG wants to prioritize controlling as many newscasts as possible. Just sayin'.

Whether Sinclair keeps it, or FOX buys it, I think the 10pm news produced by WPVI is not for long. Sinclair will likely replace it with their own (perhaps pretaped and piped in from WBFF), and FOX will not want to compete with itself.

I have three questions regarding WPHL's 10PM:

• How are the ratings for their newscasts in relation to WPSG and WTXF's newscasts?
  • What is the compensation structure for WPVI's newscasts?
  • Who controls the ad inventory?

I have to wonder if Sinclair even keeps stations like PHL. They'll need to clear cap space...and a standalone MNTV station with no news operation of its own doesn't seem like it would be high on the priority list, even if it is in a Top 10 market.

If Sinclair gets everything they want out of this, they will have a station in every market in Pennsylvania--suddenly an important political swing state. For that reason and that alone, it's important to keep PHL. (Also, still the #4 media market.)

Whether Sinclair keeps it, or FOX buys it, I think the 10pm news produced by WPVI is not for long. Sinclair will likely replace it with their own (perhaps pretaped and piped in from WBFF), and FOX will not want to compete with itself.

If Sinclair keeps WPHL (and they prolly will), no one in corporate could be that stupid. The 10PM Action News regularly ties and occasionally beats WTXF's 10PM. Almost every night, PVI's 10PM builds on the MyNet lead-in significantly. Sinclair has a similar deal in Pittsburgh where WPXI produces the news on Sinclair owned-WPGH. While it helps to have no competition in that time slot, it does VERY well and regularly rates in line with the 11PM newscasts in that market. Sinclair will not mess with a good thing. If anything, I think they'd approach PVI for a 7-9am news.

Other things to note: ROH already runs on Comet, which airs on 17.4. No big change there. And if the Hyman commentaries run, my guess it's at the end of the 10PM newscasts--which would also afford more time for PVI to change over for the 11PM on their network.

I have three questions regarding WPHL's 10PM:

• How are the ratings for their newscasts in relation to WPSG and WTXF's newscasts?
  • What is the compensation structure for WPVI's newscasts?
  • Who controls the ad inventory?

I can only answer the first one... easily beats WPSG and is in a tight race with WTXF. Sometimes its first, other times its second.

Where the the PHL 17 studios for the the morning show? And are there repackaged WPVI reports from the night before?

The morning show's is done from their studio in Wynnefield. Their weekly public affairs show InFocus is also done from there. Here's the set if you're interested: https://erectorsetsinc.com/portfolio/wphl-tv/

As far as the content and how its presented, everything is basically readers over what I assume is video shot by PVI. They will go live to cover non news items like special events but that's not the norm.

• 3 weeks later...
If Sinclair gets everything they want out of this, they will have a station in every market in Pennsylvania--suddenly an important political swing state. For that reason and that alone, it's important to keep PHL.

Except Erie, I think...

PHL17 News ... produced in South Bend, IN.

Don't laugh. It very well could happen.

Ack!

Even the cheapest, laziest, understaffed and/or under-produced local news program wouldn't sound as bad if it was in the city it's serving in comparison.

But then again, this is what would happen if under Sinclair anyway.

I wouldn't laugh at this. I'd cry at this.

Ack!

Even the cheapest, laziest, understaffed and/or under-produced local news program wouldn't sound as bad if it was in the city it's serving in comparison.

But then again, this is what would happen if under Sinclair anyway.

I wouldn't laugh at this. I'd cry at this.

Every one of these companies knows you can fiber up an old factory in Detroit or IP India and watch the hilarity ensue.

There will be more zoning of newscast and all kinds of uncomfortable stuff that will drive all of us nuts.

Next step: Remove the reporters.

Let the news "report" itself.

• 3 weeks later...
Every one of these companies knows you can fiber up an old factory in Detroit or IP India and watch the hilarity ensue.

There will be more zoning of newscast and all kinds of uncomfortable stuff that will drive all of us nuts.

Next step: Remove the reporters.

Let the news "report" itself.

I think that's what Tribune calls "NewsFix" (or as I call it "NewsBroke")...

J

Archived