New WGN Set

alex979

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It matches the original post in this thread, so I'd say it's set to launch. It's going to take some time to get used to it, for sure. Not sure why they didn't maintain the coloring contrast of the current logo, because the white on white of the N up against the box does look a little weird.

That logo is a huge improvement. Maybe it's not the full-on retro throwback some were hoping for, but the still-current logo is not good and isn't anything worth holding onto.

We'l see how the graphics turn out, but I sense some KTLA inspiration here.

It matches the original post in this thread, so I'd say it's set to launch. It's going to take some time to get used to it, for sure. Not sure why they didn't maintain the coloring contrast of the current logo, because the white on white of the N up against the box does look a little weird.

The "9" on the new logo kinda resembles the one they used until early 90s or so. And I hope they keep the box colored the same way as the current logo.

That logo is a huge improvement. Maybe it's not the full-on retro throwback some were hoping for, but the still-current logo is not good and isn't anything worth holding onto.

We'l see how the graphics turn out, but I sense some KTLA inspiration here.

Let's not forget that KCPQ has something similar to what WGN is rolling out.

Well, WGN badly needed a new logo. All I can say about it is that it's ok. It's not as bland as WEWS or cheap-looking like WFXT. However, it's not distinctive, which is typical of modern TV logos.

Am I the only one who likes the current 9?

I'm conflicted. I don't think they ever used it particularly well. I think they should have opted for a stacked version like KTLA, with the call letter atop the number, so the 9 wouldn't have gotten lost like it did in small uses like the current bug. That does make me wonder, though, if that's something they're consider now with the new logo, like their west coast sibling.

I think the "9" was intentionally "lost" in their previous two logos to represent the fact that the station is verbally called "WGN" on-air rather than "WGN9". I wonder if they might consider audibly saying the "9" on the air now.

Stranger things have happened. With no superstation and no affiliation, I do like the idea that they're completely starting fresh. It's only a shame that some of these things might be temporary.

I can't tell but does the WGN match the WGN America logotype?

Nope, but it's similar looking. While I don't dislike the new logo, I do think it would have looked better with the WGN America logo. I think it would have helped make it more distinctive, especially since that seems to be the main complaint about it. Personally, I'm just glad that the "9" is bigger. It was huge on the previous logo

latest?cb=20140314025748

And then it became way too small compared to the rest of the text, and poorly utilized with other variations of the logo.

518?cb=20160823223624

So now they've got the sizing right at least! The 9 is bigger and it's in-line with the 'WGN'

I'm conflicted. I don't think they ever used it particularly well. I think they should have opted for a stacked version like KTLA, with the call letter atop the number, so the 9 wouldn't have gotten lost like it did in small uses like the current bug. That does make me wonder, though, if that's something they're consider now with the new logo, like their west coast sibling.

I agree. Like I said above and as you said, the current "9" wasn't used well, and I think the biggest issue is that it was too small. On Twitter, I've actually seen a KTLA-like WGN logo used when people link to some of their web videos.

aaBqZlx.png?1

I think it looks cool, and with their new logo, it'd probably look even better! Although I hope they don't start calling it "WGN 9" verbally like Spring Rubber said, I think just saying "WGN" rolls off the tongue better and I doubt they'd change that.

Archived