New WGN Set

alex979

I can expect by the picture tease it will be another cheap Tribune set it wont beat WLS WMAQ or WFLDs new set and oh god a two seater anchor desk but at least its something and i know this is not for this thread but KTBC annoumced a new set just a week after WFLD i simply dont understand why WNYW wont get one

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can expect by the picture tease it will be another cheap Tribune set it wont beat WLS WMAQ or WFLDs new set and oh god a two seater anchor desk but at least its something and i know this is not for this thread but KTBC annoumced a new set just a week after WFLD i simply dont understand why WNYW wont get one

It could be the person in charge of creative services and management? Look at KTTV it took an act of congress to get a new set. They didn't even get the O&O Blythe Set

It could be the person in charge of creative services and management? Look at KTTV it took an act of congress to get a new set. They didn't even get the O&O Blythe Set

If it took an act of Congress to get a new set for KTTV, I wonder what it would take for WJZ. The rapture, perhaps?

If it took an act of Congress to get a new set for KTTV, I wonder what it would take for WJZ. The rapture, perhaps?

For WJZ and KUSI....When Pigs Fly

But you have to wonder how the black sheep among the FOX O&Os (WFLD) was able to jump ahead of WYNW and get a new set (a freaking Clickspring one at that). And I'm calling for an immediate investigation because that KTTV set was a complete misuse of taxpayer money.

I guess they're going to do this every day until Wednesday....

[MEDIA=twitter]863389636659490816[/MEDIA]

I have to say, its kind of a brilliant strategy to do this right in the middle of sweeps.

Something tells me they got a BDi set similar to some of their sister stations.

Has KDFW gotten a new set yet?

Do we think they're gonna keep the same music? Also not sure about graphics. Of course, when they leaked the new logo on-air, it was included in the existing graphics, but that obviously could have just been a loose mock-up that they were toying around with.

With getting a new set for the first time in 12 years, I would expect them to relaunch with everything brand new, but I suppose it's possible that the graphics or music could remain the same for now and then get changed at a later date.

when they leaked the new logo on-air

What did the logo look like? I hope they keep the same graphics and music. I really like them. Of course, it wouldn't matter if the Sinclair deal went through.

Do we think they're gonna keep the same music? Also not sure about graphics. Of course, when they leaked the new logo on-air, it was included in the existing graphics, but that obviously could have just been a loose mock-up that they were toying around with.

With getting a new set for the first time in 12 years, I would expect them to relaunch with everything brand new, but I suppose it's possible that the graphics or music could remain the same for now and then get changed at a later date.

The current music is nice, admittedly I used to dislike it but it grew on me, and I think the variations they use are cool. But it would be awesome to see a return of this music (which, in my opinion, is the best one they've used).

Or, alternatively, a modernized hyped-up instrumental of the classic

(if only, lol)

As far as graphics, I think an update to those would be nice, too. I think the on-screen WGN logo should be made bigger and shifted to the left of the screen, instead of the tiny logo with a Chicago skyline next to it that stretches a bit too far out. I'm thinking something like PIX 11 does with their logo.

maxresdefault.jpg

I would expect a new WGN Sports package on Wednesday as well. Fittingly, there's a Cubs home game at 7:05 PM that night, which would be a perfect time to launch new sports graphics to go with the new logo. The current openers are 6 years old, and the current on-screen graphics are 5.5 years old. Seems to be a great time to launch new sports graphics, as well (unless they wait for Blackhawks season).

I wasn't expecting new graphics or music, but I suppose anything's possible. The 2007 cuts seem kind of tired now, and they apparently don't like the 2014 cuts since they don't use them outside of opens.

As far as graphics, I think an update to those would be nice, too. I think the on-screen WGN logo should be made bigger and shifted to the left of the screen, instead of the tiny logo with a Chicago skyline next to it that stretches a bit too far out. I'm thinking something like PIX 11 does with their logo.

The bug DEFINITELY needs to be shrunk. At a minimum, it should be shifted left as you suggested. Personally, I'd like to see them pick up something similar to KTLA's L3s and bug. Those are niiiice. The current opens could probably be updated with the new logo and still look great.

I wasn't expecting new graphics or music, but I suppose anything's possible. The 2007 cuts seem kind of tired now, and they apparently don't like the 2014 cuts since they don't use them outside of opens.

The bug DEFINITELY needs to be shrunk. At a minimum, it should be shifted left as you suggested. Personally, I'd like to see them pick up something similar to KTLA's L3s and bug. Those are niiiice. The current opens could probably be updated with the new logo and still look great.

New music would be a welcome change for sure (seems to go along with the fact that they've changed it every 10 years since 1997). And I think the "WGN 9" within the bug needs to be bigger, but the bug itself always struck me as being unnecessarily long. If they don't do a complete graphics upgrade, then they need to shift it to the left and forget about the fancy glowing skyline that takes up most of the space. Something like KTLA would be awesome for the new logo, just a clean-looking 9 bug next to the time and temperature. Do you think they should have a headlines scroll at the bottom like PIX 11, or keep it to weather?

I'll miss the current music if they change it, but I guess (nearly) 10 years of the current music is long enough. I just hope any potential new music isn't terribly generic.

Graphics-wise, I was always a big fan of the current graphics, bug notwithstanding, so here's hoping any potential new graphics are also nice and clean. Doesn't their *ahem* future new owners have their own standardized graphics? If they do launch new graphics now, I wonder if they'd be super short-lived.

I'll miss the current music if they change it, but I guess (nearly) 10 years of the current music is long enough. I just hope any potential new music isn't terribly generic.

Graphics-wise, I was always a big fan of the current graphics, bug notwithstanding, so here's hoping any potential new graphics are also nice and clean. Doesn't their *ahem* future new owners have their own standardized graphics? If they do launch new graphics now, I wonder if they'd be super short-lived.

Ugh, don't remind me. Sinclair does have standardized graphics, and bastardized I mean, standardized theme music, too.

That's the same tune that they use for almost every single affiliate. I think the only different one I heard was for an NBC affiliate that used the NBC chimes at the start and different sounding music.

If there is no change in graphics and music, then it's because they know that Sinclair is gonna force them to use their crappy packages and changing the graphics and music just to use them for only a month or however long it'll take for Tribune to fully belong to Sinclair would be a waste of time and effort. Going from what WGN already has to Sinclair's would already be a massive downgrade.

If it goes through, these deals usually take about a year. If there is no stink raised in court (which there will be, trust me) Sinclair will probably take over next spring just in time to sway the midterms with their freakin' propaganda.

I don't think the station is going to mess with its graphics package, because it's still relatively new. If anything, would be there probably do less tweaking with its existing graphics (L3, OTS, just minor stuff).

Also, the station just got an update of its existing music package (even though they're still using a glut of themes from the original 2007 package). Its probably too soon to change the music right away. KTLA didn't change its 2009 music when they receive its new set/graphics last year.

And something to think about. Channel 9 has have a long streak of using its news music that's been commissioned exclusively by them (possibly every theme since 1980), and have never picked up a pre-composed syndicated music package "off-the-shelf". That long streak of music exclusivity could come to a screeching halt though, should that deal with the Heathens of Hunt Valley goes through and they start using (ugh!) "Glass" and/or "Curves". :rolleyes:

Ugh, don't remind me. Sinclair does have standardized graphics, and bastardized I mean, standardized theme music, too.

That's the same tune that they use for almost every single affiliate. I think the only different one I heard was for an NBC affiliate that used the NBC chimes at the start and different sounding music.

If there is no change in graphics and music, then it's because they know that Sinclair is gonna force them to use their crappy packages and changing the graphics and music just to use them for only a month or however long it'll take for Tribune to fully belong to Sinclair would be a waste of time and effort. Going from what WGN already has to Sinclair's would already be a massive downgrade.

The graphics front, IIRC, stations were only given Quick Time files and had to individually do the opens. That is why some (aka the original Sinclair stations) probably has the best version where as others have deviations of the open.

WSET Open

ABC7 Arkansas

KOMO Open

WWMT

WWMT with Enforcer

I feel like forcing the standard graphics/music upon WGN isn't going to be at the top of Sinclair's list when they take over, but that's pretty much unknowable at this point anyway...

Another photo is up.

[MEDIA=instagram]BUFZZOgFmcO[/MEDIA]

Looks like there's a video wall at the center of the desk with "CHICAGO'S VERY OWN" above it, coupled with a blue duratrans with city skyline images to the sides of the video wall with lit dividers in between the panels. If so, it's a pretty similar shape and concept to their current desk, just with a video wall and light-up sign as the centerpiece.

Either that, or maybe the duratrans is the centerpiece, with a large video wall to the left and right of the duratrans, such that the video walls could be used, one for each anchor, in place of OTS graphics.

Archived