Morgan Murphy buying Saga

AJClementeFan69

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/morgan-murphy-strikes-deal-buy-saga-stations-missouri-texas/165670

"Madison, Wis.-based Morgan Murphy Media has struck a deal with Saga Communications to buy TV stations in Joplin, Mo. and Victoria, Texas.

If approved by the FCC, the deal would add CBS affiliate KOAM Joplin to Morgan Murphy’s portfolio, which includes stations in Madison and Spokane, Wash. Acquiring Saga’s Victoria assets would give Morgan Murphy ownership of most of the market’s English and Spanish-language affiliates—ABC affiliate KAVU, NBC affiliate KMOL, CBS affiliate KXTS, Univision affiliate KUNU and Telemundo affiliate KVTX.

Morgan Murphy would also operate the Fox affiliates in both those markets—KFJX, which covers the Joplin-Pittsburg, Kan. market, and KVCT Victoria—which are both owned by Surtsey Media and slated to be acquired by a SagamoreHill Broadcasting subsidiary."

Unexpected buyer...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saga immediately proceeded to spend $23m (of the $66 million their TV stations fetched) to add radio stations in Charleston and Hilton Head Island, SC, acquired from Apex.

Perhaps the company just didn't want to do TV and sought a smaller owner that would be able to appropriately run its tiny-market stations.

Also, SagamoreHill is the prostitute of TV station owners. How many times has it been the sidecar for so many broadcasters?

I did not see this one coming. This would've been THE last thing to expect. I thought MMM would sell its stations, not buy more.

But this is a sign... a sign that MMM is here to stay.

This probably also places them in the BIA/Kelsey Top 30 when it comes out soon.

It's especially shocking since MMM has no footprint at all in the regions of KAVU+ and KOAM. I think those who work at WISC, WKBT and the other stations are probably happy too since they probably were expecting a sale in the near future. This is a strong signal that such won't likely be happening.

Saga immediately proceeded to spend $23m (of the $66 million their TV stations fetched) to add radio stations in Charleston and Hilton Head Island, SC, acquired from Apex.

Perhaps the company just didn't want to do TV and sought a smaller owner that would be able to appropriately run its tiny-market stations.

Also, SagamoreHill is the prostitute of TV station owners. How many times has it been the sidecar for so many broadcasters?

The only station it actually runs is WLTZ? (Of course, that station is a dog compared to WTVM and WRBL.)

very surprising. I expected Gray to be the buyer of the Saga stations and I certainly didn't expect MMM to be a buyer.

While this is good news for MMM let's not take this as a sign that they won't sell. Remember Schurz bought KOTA, Media General bought Lin and made a move for Meredith before they both cashed out.

The only station it actually runs is WLTZ? (Of course, that station is a dog compared to WTVM and WRBL.)

It's amazing.

SagamoreHill owns stations for Bahakel, Quincy, and Cordillera currently. It formerly was a sidecar for Barrington (WWMB) and Meredith (KASW, though its operations were kept more separated as it was clearly a short-term arrangement).

It also operates a low-power NBC for Watertown, New York, which appears to be its own operation.

It's amazing.

SagamoreHill owns stations for Bahakel, Quincy, and Cordillera currently. It formerly was a sidecar for Barrington (WWMB) and Meredith (KASW, though its operations were kept more separated as it was clearly a short-term arrangement).

It also operates a low-power NBC for Watertown, New York, which appears to be its own operation.

There's also a pending app to light up an NBC LP in Ottumwa, IA (KGLU).

Wonder if MMM wants to fashion itself as another Heartland (but with more of a history)? If so I bet they could be unexpected players for small market spinoffs/"independent"s.

I bet the folks at KOAM and KAVU are breathing a sigh of relief...dodging the Nexstar/Sinclair/Gray bullet.

Wonder if MMM wants to fashion itself as another Heartland (but with more of a history)? If so I bet they could be unexpected players for small market spinoffs/"independent"s.

I bet the folks at KOAM and KAVU are breathing a sigh of relief...dodging the Nexstar/Sinclair/Gray bullet.

Nexstar would have never been able to acquire KOAM since it would leave them with a monopoly in Joplin.

Morgan Murphy's Washington stations' (KXLY and KAPP/KVEW) news departments are in bad shape; KXLY in Spokane doesn't even have an 11 pm newscast on Saturday nights. I'm surprised they're taking on more assets.

Morgan Murphy's Washington stations' (KXLY and KAPP/KVEW) news departments are in bad shape; KXLY in Spokane doesn't even have an 11 pm newscast on Saturday nights. I'm surprised they're taking on more assets.

Seems like they don't put as much money/effort into the Washington stations, which have been also-rans for years. I know KAPP/KVEW has ran a reduced news schedule for a while...

Isn't KOAM the longtime dominant station in the Joplin market? I know Dowe Quick has been there forever.

Seems like KOAM has more in common with their Wisconsin stations (lots of longtime talent, good ratings) than it does with the Washington stations. I guess we'll see.

Nexstar would have never been able to acquire KOAM since it would leave them with a monopoly in Joplin.

They did dodge SBG and Gray though.

KXLY hasn't had an 11pm newscast on Saturday nights in years.

KAPP/KVEW also only runs a three minute "quickcast" at 11pm on weeknights, and I think their morning news is somewhat abbreviated too. I don't think there's any weekend news either. It's certainly more of a fly by night operation, though for what it lacks in resources, it makes up for it in love!

KAPP/KVEW also only runs a three minute "quickcast" at 11pm on weeknights, and I think their morning news is somewhat abbreviated too. I don't think there's any weekend news either. It's certainly more of a fly by night operation, though for what it lacks in resources, it makes up for it in love!

KAPP/KVEW has two hours from 5:00-7:00am, two half-hours at 5:00 and 6:30 and finally 5 minutes at 11:00pm. And yes, no weekends at all.

KAPP/KVEW has two hours from 5:00-7:00am, two half-hours at 5:00 and 6:30 and finally 5 minutes at 11:00pm. And yes, no weekends at all.

Thanks — maybe "abbreviated" wasn't the right word. But I think the morning show is more of a lighter fare bush league affair than it is the typical meat and potatoes traffic and weather every 10 minutes with 25 second VOs in between.

Hmm. I'm starting to think there are two reasons for why Morgan Murphy bought the Saga stations:

1) Someone in senior management at Saga knows someone in a similar position at MMM, making the sale easy to set up.

2) Morgan Murphy is planning on selling its Washington stations but wanted a suitable revenue replacement in place first.

3) Morgan Murphy is trying to make itself more attractive to potential buyers.

What shape are their Wisconsin stations (WISC and WKBT) in?

What shape are their Wisconsin stations (WISC and WKBT) in?

WKBT seems decent content-wise, lots of longtime talent, but they still appear to be in SD and their graphics (can't find a recent open on youtube...but here are some stories) are amateur hour. I think they tend to be #1 in the La Crosse side of the market (WEAU #1 in Eau Claire...with WXOW/WQOW eating from the scraps). T

WISC, their flagship, seems to get the most love. If you go to their bio page...quite a lot of their talent has been at the station or in the market for a long time. They have a very nice (in-house?)

IMO. Their set is 15+ years old though...but has aged decently well I guess. Wikipedia says they've been historically at the top because of their VHF position.

KAPP/KVEW seems like a non-factor, but they try I guess?

In all honesty, KXLY doesn't seem that bad for a #3. They have Nadine Woodward, who's a solid veteran anchor. The graphics (couldn't find an open) look a little dated but aren't awful. Still...the set could use some work. I think their claim to fame recently is breaking the Rachel Dolezal stuff. lol

Archived