HLN Brand Repositioning

C Block

I wonder if the new CNN Business, as tech-focused as it is, is even a good fit for linear TV, quite honestly.

Enough people latched on to FOX Business that it's now beating CNBC in a lot of key time slots. It can work when you have the right synergy.

But CNN isn't FOX. It's pretty safe to say any new channel that launches going forward that carries even a hint of risk is going to be digital first/only.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Across America with Carol Costello: GONE

Crime and Justice with Ashleigh Banfield: GONE

MichaeLA: GONE

Damn.

Three shows across (most of) the daytime lineup axed. I can understand from a ratings and economical standpoint, but

damn.

It's both fascinating and frustrating to hear.

Enough people latched on to FOX Business that it's now beating CNBC in a lot of key time slots. It can work when you have the right synergy.

But CNN isn't FOX. It's pretty safe to say any new channel that launches going forward that carries even a hint of risk is going to be digital first/only.

When Fox Business launched, it was a different time (2007) in terms of linear television, and the channel was able to distinguish itself with its conservative bent.

CNN was once in the financial news game with CNN/fn. CNN Business is extremely tech-oriented, so much so that they felt they couldn't talk about tech business while being called CNN Money.

IMO these were good news shows that did what they needed to do--inform viewers on the news if the day. Unfortunately, more people as the years pass foolishly mix literally every other starting news topic with politics--usually to stay blissfully ignorant on them and to refuse to listen to keep an open mind), and so these are only the latest casualties of the continuing trend of networks following 45, his administration and his idiocy for ratings and revenue.

It's a damn shame. Not that it's the end as we know it though.

At this point, I don't understand how going back to the original Headline News would be any worse than what they're doing now. I can't imagine people are lining up to see endless repeats of Forensics Files would get any better ratings.

I mean, CBSN is basically the same concept as the old Headline News, and it seems to be working for them...

I think they're best bet at this point is turning into a CNN2 (whether in name or by action). That would mean supplementary and complementary shows to CNN. Maybe an extra hour of Anderson, replays of news shows, some CNN International simulcasts, new programs anchored by existing CNN names. ESPN does it with success. FBN is more or less FOX News 2 (they're very heavily politically focused). Either that or shut down the network because soft news didn't work, and Forensic Files isn't working that well either. That's my two cents

I mean, CBSN is basically the same concept as the old Headline News, and it seems to be working for them...

Newsy does air some shows (What The Fact, Newsy Docs, Up For Debate, 30 Minutes With..., etc.) but has that similar concept too.

I am absolutely shocked that this is happening, HLN seemed to be on the right track. Eliminating live news hours won't do a damn thing, if they wanted higher viewership then maybe CNN should have allowed HLN to advertise so viewers could find them. Getting rid of 3 really good and respected journalists is not the answer, the answer was to continue to add live news hours and new original programming.

So did Carol just say screw it and quit right away? She didn't anchor yesterday or today and they removed her name from all the graphics. I'd be pissed if I were her, knowing I probably won't have another job due to age. (Sussan Hendricks has been filing in)

If they want to have shows that are extended out with re-airs so the cost is low then why not keep the current line up and just add an hour or 2 to everyone? I really believe the first mistake they made was when they put Carol is Michaela's timeslot, I watched Michaela because of her natural morning person personality, I didn't want to watch a show about politics like Carol's often times became. HLN really needed a morning person in that timeslot and they needed to brand it as a west coast based morning show, for people in the west.

At this point, the network can just go away or maybe someone can buy it for cheap now that its value just dropped and revive a real "Headline News" format that people can actually watch.

Does anyone know if Brian Bell, (VP of Operations) and Stephanie Todd, (VP of Programming) - both based in Atlanta - are staying with the network?

Across America with Carol Costello: GONE

Crime and Justice with Ashleigh Banfield: GONE

MichaeLA: GONE

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/exclusive-hln-axing-most-live-shows-including-carol-costello-and-ashleigh-banfield/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Biggest knee-slapper line in that article: "A source said the move to taped programming after 3 p.m. is an attempt to focus on HLN’s strengths: News by day, mysteries and investigations by night."

Forensics Files reruns clearly drew more of an audience than Crime and Justice, for sure, but the ratings for a show that ended a goddam decade ago and will never be revived because the narrator died are absolutely pathetic compared to the other news channels.

If I wanted to watch Forensics Files reruns, I'd pull it up on Netflix or YouTube. I sure as hell wouldn't turn on HLN to see them in a nightly 15-hour marathon. And I know, I KNOW, I'm not the only one.

G4 died with far, far more dignity by comparison.

it's worth noting that Michaela Pereira is anchoring from Studio 7 in Atlanta today, I find it odd considering her last day is on Friday. Could she be there in regards to a different role? It just seems like a waste of money and time to bring her to Atlanta, all the way from LA during the middle of her last week.

So Robin Meade's assistant posted this Instagram story yesterday. Robin appears to be doing a promo from the old studio. I can also confirm from her Instagram that Stephanie Todd, VP of Programming at HLN still works for the network as of now - even though her profile has been removed from the CNN page.

IMG_0578.thumb.jpeg.8220a09eb51cba9c907d431b0af85490.jpeg

IMG_0575.thumb.jpeg.8fbccc9e30d27fa3ff1062118b8847a5.jpeg

IMG_0577.thumb.jpeg.df4f44a9321324f7b10b127a9cc19226.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Well some changes coming to HLN, Lynn Smith will now anchor "On The Story" from 12n - 2p ET and Mike Galanos will anchor a new show called "True Crime Live" from 2p - 3p ET both of those changes starting Monday Mach 11th. Susan Hendricks will take over "Weekend Express" starting on March 16th. No mention of what Shyann Malone & Elizabeth Prann will be doing, I'm going to guess rotation or co-anchoring the 10a-12n ET of Morning Express. All of the shows will remain in Atlanta. So a few things from my perspective, Lynn should be anchoring 3 hours, Mike should be anchor a 2 or 3 hours news show, not a crime show. The current schedule is nothing exciting at all, Carol and Michaela didn't have the best viewership or the best stories but the shows were refreshing and certainly better than 6 hours of MXP and 3 boring hours of entertainment and crime news from OTS like we're stuck with now. Don't even get me started on these new Original Series.

You can read more here; https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/exclusive-lynn-smith-mike-galanos-anchor-mid-day-shows-hln/PQjR572Afzf0uBC0lI3REM/

• 5 months later...
15 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

If WarnerMedia is successful, it would likely be HLN turning into a PGA Tour Channel, seeing that TruTV is used for March Madness.

It would be sad.

https://awfulannouncing.com/golf/warnermedia-could-flip-trutv-or-hln-into-a-pga-tour-channel-if-they-win-golf-rights.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It'd be sad, but it'd be a better use of channel space.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:31 PM, Georgie56 said:

If WarnerMedia is successful, it would likely be HLN turning into a PGA Tour Channel, seeing that TruTV is used for March Madness.

It would be sad.

https://awfulannouncing.com/golf/warnermedia-could-flip-trutv-or-hln-int'o-a-pga-tour-channel-if-they-win-golf-rights.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The should just sell HLN and take the cash. Convert truTV to "Turner Sports" and have March Madness and the PGA Tour on the same channel, the advertisement dollar on that channel would be insane. And yes it would be sad, CNN/WarnerMedia/AT&T/Jeff Zucker have single handedly ruined what was once the greatest source of real news. I wouldn't be surprised if someone or a group had interest in buying HLN, either keep it the same "news by day, crime by night" or return it to Headline News. (what would HLN sell for?) Either way it seems that WarnerMedia/AT&T wants to cut costs and find some cash, and they won't let anything stop them from doing that. 

Maybe HLN should just fire up the jukebox they used to recycle parts of Headline News back in the 90s and go back to that?

When you have SEVERAL FREE streaming apps like PlutoTV, Filmrise, Stirr and the Roku Channel airing ENTIRE channels of Forensic Files....it's safe to say that HLN is past being toast.

I'm sure the geniuses at AT&T have some good ideas up their sleeves to rescue this channel...

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I'm sure the geniuses at AT&T have some good ideas up their sleeves to rescue this channel...

Just like their ✨b r i l l i a n t✨branding of their LTE network as "5G E"...(I'm not going to hold my breath, lest it be a full time Adult Swim channel...but I digress.)

I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times over, the only thing saving HLN is Morning Express with Robin Meade. Her show needs to be moved over directly to CNN and New Day needs to be cancelled. After that, HLN needs to either return to a rotating newswheel or needs to cease to exist.

3 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times over, the only thing saving HLN is Morning Express with Robin Meade. Her show needs to be moved over directly to CNN and New Day needs to be cancelled. After that, HLN needs to either return to a rotating newswheel or needs to cease to exist.

Having a pundit-free, news intensive show like Morning Express would be good for CNN, as it would provide a straight-news, no-nonsense alternative to Morning Joe and Fox & Friends.

21 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

That may be nice in theory but even if they did that, I'd bet the pressures of the spotlight of being on CNN would slowly change the show into what we have now on CNN. The format of New Day right now is quite different from how it debuted. CNN has an addiction to its talking heads format seen throughout most of their shows all day long (and they aren't the only ones).

Morning Express being on HLN can kinda do its own thing, hidden away so to speak.

• 5 months later...
26 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Imo, HLN is past it's expiration date. It would be great to see Robin Meade on CNN in the A.M. though as someone said before

Remember how people were suggesting that 13 years ago when her profile was rising on HLN and American Morning on CNN was in a perpetual state of turmoil? Funny how that idea keeps popping up online.

Archived