HLN Brand Repositioning

C Block

At the very least, they should hold off on Forensic Files till after primetime hours....

If they have to run that goddam show, run it on weekend evenings not unlike MSNBC did with their documentaries pre-2017.

And again, that HLN isn't doing a simulcast of CNN International during the overnight hours - in addition to repeating Ashleigh Banfield so people can see it on the west coast - is ponderous.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think HLN should go full on legal network or become CNN International.

HLN right now is a lost cause, I have a feeling Erica Hill's show is on the bubble. 1-3pm hours is dead hours on daytime and plus her fill does a better job. Michaela might do okay cause she is in a different part of the country.

Here are my views on HLN.

I think the network is in a very hard place. Everyone longs for the days of "Headline News", but those days are long gone. We can access news and information at our fingertips at any time - the concept of an unending "headline service" is obsolete.

What should the network be then? I'm not sure. Clearly CNN isn't. Four thousand airings of "Forensic Files" is obviously not the way to go. Adding more live shows is a step in the right direction but even those shows seem rather vague.

Honestly, the way to go would be to take the original documentaries that CNN has been doing and put them there. They're already trying this with John Walsh. (Half the time CNN makes these things and has to change the airdates because the president has a speech, casually threatens nuclear war, farts, etc.) Make it more of a documentary and even history focused channel (since the History channel isn't really doing history anymore), with some news if necessary.

In theory, CNN could reactivate Headline News by its original incarnation as a streaming video service like CBSN. All it would take is the "video jukebox" automation setup Headline News used in the early 2000s (and still does with Weekend Express). Simple, straightforward.

Of course that makes HLN even further redundant.

Honestly, the way to go would be to take the original documentaries that CNN has been doing and put them there. They're already trying this with John Walsh. (Half the time CNN makes these things and has to change the airdates because the president has a speech, casually threatens nuclear war, farts, etc.) Make it more of a documentary and even history focused channel (since the History channel isn't really doing history anymore), with some news if necessary.

I think you've articulated HLN's quandary pretty well. But I don't think this would be the right route either. It would give HLN a lot of new content right away, but it would leave a pretty big hole in CNN USA's lineup.

I would even argue that these CNN originals have sparked much of CNN's current ratings success. Before all of them, CNN USA was often a wasteland of reruns after primetime and on weekends. Their numbers were really low, even on Sunday nights. Now, people actually tune in to CNN on Sunday nights to catch premieres of Bourdain, Lisa Ling, the decades series, et al. I'm somewhat amazed at how many people I know (people under 25, and people who are not hardcore newshounds like me) who end up getting sucked into watching them. I sometimes miss Don Lemon's down-the-middle late night newscast that used to air on the weekends, but otherwise, I think these original series are one of the few things that Jeff Zucker has gotten absolutely right with CNN.

Moving the newest season of John Walsh's show to HLN was the right move. He's a better fit there. Putting reruns of the CNN originals on HLN may not be a bad idea, though I think it does run the risk of brand dilution and confusing the audience. The decades series may be a good fit for reruns, and maybe Lisa Ling, but Bourdain would not be, as well as a lot of the grittier productions.

I think the demo that they have identified for HLN — women 25-54 — is the right focus for HLN. I like the idea of making it the mommy news channel that features more regional/domestic news, some crime (but not overboard on crime like the Casey Anthony days) and less international and politics is the right strategy. The big question is how to design programming around that, programming that will catch eyeballs, and how to do it quickly.

Oh! Oh! And while all these CNN originals were in development, you know what CNN was temporarily filling their overnight and weekend schedules with? Forensic Files.

I think the demo that they have identified for HLN — women 25-54 — is the right focus for HLN. I like the idea of making it the mommy news channel that features more regional/domestic news, some crime (but not overboard on crime like the Casey Anthony days) and less international and politics is the right strategy. The big question is how to design programming around that, programming that will catch eyeballs, and how to do it quickly.

Would the legal/crime related shows still fit for the demo a la Nancy Grace or Jane Velez Mitchell? Maybe Lisa Bloom?

Would the legal/crime related shows still fit for the demo a la Nancy Grace or Jane Velez Mitchell? Maybe Lisa Bloom?

I keep thinking about how CourtTV couldn't last with an all-legal lineup. Ditto with the 2005-2014 era HLN.

The real problem with networks showing only 1 or so show almost every hour every day is that their isn't enough originality or variety. another problem is HLN doesnt have its own studio that they can use that's made for Newscast Hours A La NY1 for example.

Oh! Oh! And while all these CNN originals were in development, you know what CNN was temporarily filling their overnight and weekend schedules with? Forensic Files.

That only happened for 2-3 weeks in June 2015. CNN aired a two-hour FF rerun block in place of a CNNI simulcast, concurrent with HLN's endless overnight FF rerun loop.

And it wasn't well-received, to say the least.

I can't believe it took this long to launch her show its just her old one with a new name. Didn't seem to have anything different to it. I understand the whole time moving and settling in for the anchor but they could have started this earlier

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
HLN is tweaking it's daytime lineup (starts December 4).

SE Cupp Unfiltered moving to 5p

PrimeTime Justice (now Crime & Justice) to 6-8

HLN should replay Unfiltered from 8-9PM and Crime & Justice from 9-11PM and then original seiers and Forensic Files for over night. OR they could give Mike Galanos a show from 5-7PM and move the ladies back 2 hours or just make it easy and give him a show from 8-10PM. Or at least add him (or anyone else) to the weekend so live coverage doesn't just end at noon ET, "HLN Newsroom" would go over well for the weekends. As a everyday viewer of HLN I want it to be successful but they need more live hours.

• 2 months later...
Here are my views on HLN.

I think the network is in a very hard place. Everyone longs for the days of "Headline News", but those days are long gone. We can access news and information at our fingertips at any time - the concept of an unending "headline service" is obsolete.

What should the network be then? I'm not sure. Clearly CNN isn't. Four thousand airings of "Forensic Files" is obviously not the way to go. Adding more live shows is a step in the right direction but even those shows seem rather vague.

I think HLN should be gone and just be CNN 24/7 International, there is a craving for international news and for people traveling to have International news then having politics 24/7 like the main network. The fact is that when HLN were at their peak, political networks have not taken over cable like it has now. Also the internet like you said.

I think HLN should be gone and just be CNN 24/7 International, there is a craving for international news and for people traveling to have International news...

Agreed. And it'd be really easy to do, since all they'd have to do send the CNNI feed to cable and satellite providers.

Agreed. And it'd be really easy to do, since all they'd have to do send the CNNI feed to cable and satellite providers.

CNNI is available in the USA. It’s carried on a separate channel on my cable line up. So changing HLN to that does not make sense. How about creating a financial/business channel (like CNBC, FBN, Bloomberg).

CNNI is available in the USA. It’s carried on a separate channel on my cable line up. So changing HLN to that does not make sense. How about creating a financial/business channel (like CNBC, FBN, Bloomberg).

I mean CNN did try creating a business channel called CNNfn. It failed.

CNNI is available in the USA. It’s carried on a separate channel on my cable line up. So changing HLN to that does not make sense

It's not on my system (Xfinity in southern NH), and I'm sure there are many more providers/systems that don't have it.

That’s right, totally forgot that one.

It's not on my system (Xfinity in southern NH), and I'm sure there are many more providers/systems that don't have it.

Okay, but that seems like a carriage issue, not a switching one channel to another issue. Perhaps they should try bundling the channels together when they sell them to cable providers.

When I have traveled overseas, I enjoyed CNN International coverage over the US domestic coverage. The current CNN is not really CNN, it is 24/7 politics and they are trying to meet the demands and competition of the other political networks.

I think CNN International will be great replacement for HLN. To be honest HLN is nothing but network for d-list anchors. The women anchoring are very forgettable and can't compete with the other networks. CNN International will satisfy the people that want factual news. The anchors overseas are more polished and professional then majority of American hosts/anchors.

13 years ago? Enough time has passed that they could try it again.

At any rate I'd be up for them retooling it into something less obvious as well, like the kids' network they were trying to force Cartoon Network to be ten years ago.

13 years ago? Enough time has passed that they could try it again.

At any rate I'd be up for them retooling it into something less obvious as well, like the kids' network they were trying to force Cartoon Network to be ten years ago.

Yeah, maybe replace it with a 24-hour KidsWB channel or something like that, with live-action programming CN can't air anymore, older WB cartoons, newer WB Animation stuff, and maybe even reruns/a revival of Fun House. (WB still owns the rights and they haven't rerun the show anywhere since 1990-- not reviving it was perhaps THE major missed opportunity from CN Real.)

Archived