Fox Television Stations - General Thread

ColDayNews

On 10/7/2021 at 6:21 PM, DetroitTVNews said:

According to this article, WJBK anchor Huel Perkins is planning to retire next year, and Monica Gayle may retire with him.

https://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/28964/detroit_fox_2_anchor_huel_perkins_plans_to_retire_next_year_--_monica_gayle_may_follow

No shocker there.  I think Fox Television Stations is about to make some changes  at WJBK and make changes.  WJBK is not the strong station it was in the early 2000s up until 2015. I think Fox is looking to get it back on track.

On 6/28/2018 at 11:33 PM, MyNewsArchive said:

Not sure when this began, but WJBK is using "Beyond" for their 10:00PM news open, only.

I think this is about to be updated in a few weeks.  I feel there are about to get rid of this opening.

Edited by CircleWXYZ

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

KCPQ has added a third evening news hour at 6:00 p.m. (The TVNewsCheck article about its launch implies it premiered Monday [January 17].) David Rose and Jamie Tompkins anchor the broadcast.

They launched a 6 pm newscast on weekends late last year as well. In addition it appears they removed the 8pm newscast as well as reduced the weekend morning newscasts by 1 hour airing from 8-11am instead of 7-11am

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone know of any Fox O&Os still using the OSI theme?

WOFL Fox 35 still uses it here-and-then for random things, and uses the original  'Morning Theme' regularly every night for the close of the 5PM newscast, switches back to mostly Beyond for the 6PM. 

Glad the theme is still used some how, loved that one, though Beyond isn't bad.

On 1/18/2022 at 10:19 AM, JoseRM303 said:

They launched a 6 pm newscast on weekends late last year as well. In addition it appears they removed the 8pm newscast as well as reduced the weekend morning newscasts by 1 hour airing from 8-11am instead of 7-11am

Correct but on the Q they have been airing bits of the weekend morning show as well. 

• 1 year later...

The Media and Democracy Project has filed a petition against WTXF's license renewal, citing Fox News Channel's settlement with Dominion Voting Systems over lies made by FNC hosts about Dominion's operations, as well as the cable channel's coverage of the 1/6/21 riots. Featuring testimony from former FBC executive Preston Padden, the petition impugns Fox Corporation's appropriateness to hold broadcast licenses and takes issue with Fox News-produced national footage that has aired on the station, but it does not bring up any material produced in Philadelphia. It is implied that the group will file other petitions against the rest of FTS as their renewals come up.

Edited by AmericanErrorist
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

The Media and Democracy Project has filed a petition against WTXF's license renewal, citing Fox News Channel's settlement with Dominion Voting Systems over lies made by FNC hosts about Dominion's operations, as well as the cable channel's coverage of the 1/6/21 riots. Featuring testimony from former FBC executive Preston Padden, the petition impugns Fox Corporation's appropriateness to hold broadcast licenses and takes issue with Fox News-produced national footage that has aired on the station, but it does not bring up any material produced in Philadelphia. It is implied that the group will file other petitions against the rest of FTS as their renewals come up.

Hopefully the first of several, including forcing to sell duopolies like what was once WWOR, now, not worth anything.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

I am more than happy to criticize Fox News Channel for false reporting. That being said, this screams of being a publicity stunt that goes after the wrong target. Where in the petition does it say that Fox spread misinformation on WTXF, or for that matter, any of their TV stations? If they don’t have evidence of that, they’re wasting everyone’s time.

By all means, go after Fox News, but don’t actively miss the forest for the trees.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I am more than happy to criticize Fox News Channel for false reporting. That being said, this screams of being a publicity stunt that goes after the wrong target. Where in the petition does it say that Fox spread misinformation on WTXF, or for that matter, any of their TV stations? If they don’t have evidence of that, they’re wasting everyone’s time.

By all means, go after Fox News, but don’t actively miss the forest for the trees.

Yes...I agree that they need scrutiny, but actual examples are needed here. The FTS stations are ultimately controlled at the local level by local people, and though some of the stations did carry the full FNC coverage of January 6's events (including the commentary), many (like WITI) saw it, immediately stopped the simulcast, and actively try to keep Rupert and Suzanne Scott from hijacking their agenda fully because they answer to local viewers first.

Agreed that the WWOR example definitely needs to be taken seriously, but if you're going to go after a license renewal, go with a station that's questionable like KTSP (Kari Lake), WJBK (the most low-effort news division out of all of FTS's stations), or WTVT (their past chicanery). WTXF actually has local programming beyond news and I don't forsee the challenge winning because of their programming, and mainly because WTXF's news division is okay at best and most viewers in the market (outside the Eagles) are entrenched with either 6ABC (which has a strong 10pm on WPHL) or WCAU, with the outliers sticking with KYW.

Also it's 2023...just throwing up random examples isn't going to work in a day when newscasts are cataloged and timestamped in full online, and in multiple places, like YouTube and Fox's own sites. We're no longer in the days where we have to write Burell's Transcripts and pay $10 for a copy of one. It's easy enough to build your case with actual clips and proper research.

• Like 3

The question is the same British regulators looked at.  In light of all the revelations- is Fox worthy of holding broadcast licenses of its stations and duopolies?  Despite being locally run they take direction and are owned by Fox. Their role in broadcasting false information and more begs the question. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it seems to be more aimed at whether the owner should be allowed the privilege to own a local television station, not whether the specific station has screwed up. I doubt it will go anywhere but it is an interesting attempt to hold Fox accountable wherever possible.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Yes...I agree that they need scrutiny, but actual examples are needed here. The FTS stations are ultimately controlled at the local level by local people, and though some of the stations did carry the full FNC coverage of January 6's events (including the commentary), many (like WITI) saw it, immediately stopped the simulcast, and actively try to keep Rupert and Suzanne Scott from hijacking their agenda fully because they answer to local viewers first.

Agreed that the WWOR example definitely needs to be taken seriously, but if you're going to go after a license renewal, go with a station that's questionable like KTSP (Kari Lake), WJBK (the most low-effort news division out of all of FTS's stations), or WTVT (their past chicanery). WTXF actually has local programming beyond news and I don't forsee the challenge winning because of their programming, and mainly because WTXF's news division is okay at best and most viewers in the market (outside the Eagles) are entrenched with either 6ABC (which has a strong 10pm on WPHL) or WCAU, with the outliers sticking with KYW.

Also it's 2023...just throwing up random examples isn't going to work in a day when newscasts are cataloged and timestamped in full online, and in multiple places, like YouTube and Fox's own sites. We're no longer in the days where we have to write Burell's Transcripts and pay $10 for a copy of one. It's easy enough to build your case with actual clips and proper research.

I can get on board with going after WWOR or KSAZ, but just out of curiosity, what has WTVT done wrong? And WJBK isn’t a great station imo either, but I don’t think that’s enough to revoke the license.

14 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Yeah, it seems to be more aimed at whether the owner should be allowed the privilege to own a local television station, not whether the specific station has screwed up. I doubt it will go anywhere but it is an interesting attempt to hold Fox accountable wherever possible.

I can get behind that, but only if this group shows specific evidence that Fox has neglected/mismanaged their local TV stations. Mismanagement at Fox News still doesn’t equal mismanagement at the stations, and I really don’t think this public posturing serves the public interest at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

This is all ridiculous, and in a way a violation of the first amendment . No one understands that difference between Fox local and the national. The same could be said for NBC and MSNBC. KSAZ is fine even with the Kari Lake saga, the news on many stations is pretty neutral, KTTV has started going into a more serious news format though I’ve never seen them be as neutral and tough on politics if it was with a republican controlled city though LA will never switched ideologies and it isn’t republican. WJBK along with KRIV has been good at producing other programming FOX literally told stations to do opinion programming Let It Rip in Detroit, the Isiah Factor on KRIV, the Issue is on KTTV, Street Soldiers on WNYW. I’ve seen no misinformation on any stations. Say what you wanna say Fox Stations are pretty neutral this is a bogus nonsense idea. Also FOX News Special Reports are normally anchored by another anchor in a another studio and separate from Fox News. Shoot KTTV during the last 2 Trump Indictments in New York and Miami they have been doing it’s own coverage really because both Trump appearance were in the 1pm and 2pm which it was still in the morning west coast time so in the middle of Good Day LA they would sometimes bring in the join FOX during coverage but they mostly did there own coverage.

Edited by RaleighTVBOI1
  • Like 2

I read the whole petition. It’s a bit weird and reads more like a high school essay at times. It does a lot of conflating FNC with FTS and the Dominion suit, but it doesn’t really make a very clear connection between FNC and WTXF other than that both broadcast Fox News Sunday.

The petition would be stronger if it could point to specific examples of false election claims being broadcast on WTXF via Fox News Sunday, Level 1 and 2 cut-ins, and/or NewsEdge packages during that timeframe. There might be some instances of such a thing, but even so, it’s probably a far cry from what was being broadcast on FNC at the time. Don’t get me wrong – NewsEdge definitely does sneak slanted reporting through its PKGs that it passes along to affiliates almost every single day, but I don’t know if there was much during that time that rises to the same level of libel as Sidney Powell on Maria Bartiromo’s show.

I don’t know how far this will go, but it’s still interesting, and another headache for the Fox legal team. The FCC’s notion of license holders having a duty to the public might be a product of a bygone era, but it’s possible the FCC could take this seriously. Is a corporation that settled in the biggest defamation lawsuit In American history worthy of holding an FCC license, even if the defamation didn’t happen on FCC-regulated airspace? It’s an interesting question, and while this whole thing might not go very far, perhaps it’s still worth exploring in an FCC hearing.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I can get behind that, but only if this group shows specific evidence that Fox has neglected/mismanaged their local TV stations. Mismanagement at Fox News still doesn’t equal mismanagement at the stations, and I really don’t think this public posturing serves the public interest at all.

Did RKO General mismanage WNAC (Boston) and other stations they owned?  No.  They lost their licenses for the misdeeds of the parent corporation. And that is the basic question, from the defamation suits, the admission of broadcasting false claims, to the culture of abuse and more, does Fox meet the requirements as a responsible TV license holder, irregardless of how the individual stations are run.  The question is worth being asked and debated by the FCC.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

This is all ridiculous, and in a way a violation of the first amendment .

This has absolutely nothing to do with the First Amendment. The First Amendment does not guarantee anyone a specific platform, and there is no constitutional right to own a broadcast television license. 

• Like 4

I hate to be the cynical one, but I think a screenshot from the M&DP's website can show what this is likely really about. First, I'll note that there's a modal/overlay box on their homepage that says this:

The Media and Democracy Project has filed a petition to deny the broadcast license renewal application for Fox Corp-owned television station FOX 29 Philadelphia (WTXF-TV).

The Fox-owned station shares the same management that a court found knowingly manipulated its audience by broadcasting false news. The FCC has the duty to hold Fox accountable and our landmark petition seeks to safeguard the integrity of the broadcasting industry.

Join the movement and receive updates on our petition to deny a Fox Corp-owned affiliate its broadcast license.

The words "Join the movement" (emphasis mine) link to their "join us" page, which currently includes this:

madp.jpg.a256967f3ca840bf64cff6d0d940159f.jpg

This is most likely just a publicity stunt to increase donations. We've seen it before. Anyone remember the Parents Television Council? They loved to try make people think network executives were personally adding sex, drugs, foul language, etc. to shows, but in reality the PTC was more interested in raking in the money. This is basically the same thing.

Besides, what's the worst that's going to happen? If absolutely necessary, Fox will sell WTXF to Nexstar or Gray or another company and establish a lengthy affiliation agreement. That's it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mre29 said:

Besides, what's the worst that's going to happen? If absolutely necessary, Fox will sell WTXF to Nexstar or Gray or another company and establish a lengthy affiliation agreement. That's it.

CMG to keep it with WFXT.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If "character" was ever an issue the FCC cared about, Sinclair would have been shut down years ago.  But even by their failed and misguided attempt to purchase Tribune, payola, plugola and regulatory blunders over the years, all they got was some fines and consent degrees...

And the worst fine was mainly the fault of someone who have the sense to not schedule Hot Wheels ads during a Hot Wheels cartoon, which is more the fault of human nature than SBG trying to pull wool over anyone's eyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If "character" was ever an issue the FCC cared about, Sinclair would have been shut down years ago.  But even by their failed and misguided attempt to purchase Tribune, payola, plugola and regulatory blunders over the years, all they got was some fines and consent degrees...

Exactly; they actually *did* push fake news on their stations, not to mention the mass closure of newsrooms. You’d have a better case against them holding licenses, yet they’re still here.

I know Fox sucks and all, but there are plenty of grifters out there who will use a legit issue like disinformation to rake in cash and attention. They aren’t helping anyone or anything but their wallets.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I know Fox sucks and all, but there are plenty of grifters out there who will use a legit issue like disinformation to rake in cash and attention. They aren’t helping anyone or anything but their wallets.

Two things can be true at once.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

CMG to keep it with WFXT.

There you go.

Though considering that WFXT was supposed to go to Standard Media as part of the Standardization of Tegna, I have to wonder how long CMG will keep it...

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 7:31 PM, mre29 said:

I hate to be the cynical one, but I think a screenshot from the M&DP's website can show what this is likely really about. First, I'll note that there's a modal/overlay box on their homepage that says this:

The words "Join the movement" (emphasis mine) link to their "join us" page, which currently includes this:

madp.jpg.a256967f3ca840bf64cff6d0d940159f.jpg

This is most likely just a publicity stunt to increase donations. We've seen it before. Anyone remember the Parents Television Council? They loved to try make people think network executives were personally adding sex, drugs, foul language, etc. to shows, but in reality the PTC was more interested in raking in the money. This is basically the same thing.

I know of The Parents Television Censorship Council they had to settle with WWE 21 years ago only time the group had to apologize for $3Million. I don't see this going anywhere it's wasting The FCC time with this challenge as this happened on the cable side and not on the local side. It's a stunt by Preston & his group to get $$$ like The PTC and other censorship groups as well. I don't see Fox losing its license as it shouldn't. 

Adding more fuel to the question if the Murdoch family and Fox Corp are fit to have public television licenses, are two events from yesterday.  One is the defamation suit by Ray Epps, a private citizen who took part in the 1/6 insurrection at the US Capitol, who Fox News & Tucker Carlson have continuously brandished as a FBI plant.  He is not, nor ever an employee or associate of the FBI.   He points out Fox's disinformation and impact on 1/6.

The second is this opinion by those who were with Rupert Murdoch from the beginning of establishing Fox as a fourth TV network, and their current feelings.  It makes for interesting reading.  The issue is not how the local stations operate, it is whether ownership is a fit license holder.  

https://boulderpreston.com/2023/07/12/how-our-efforts-to-bring-competition-to-television-unknowingly-helped-create-the-fox-disinformation-machine/

• Like 2