Fox Television Stations - General Thread

ColDayNews

• 3 months later...

z5sWKcVikwfcqxPBJBEBNB-1200-80.jpgNow that the searchlights of 21st Century Fox are no longer part of the brand identify of the New Fox network, they’ve rolled out a rebrand earlier this Fall. I’m curious whether this abstract logo will find its way into local station identities and when the searchlights will start to disappear from local stations with the dated, so-called “kite” logo.

more on the rebrand here: https://www.creativebloq.com/news/fox-entertainment-rebrand

• Like 1
  • Concerned 4

On 11/7/2019 at 9:09 PM, zasnynews said:

z5sWKcVikwfcqxPBJBEBNB-1200-80.jpgNow that the searchlights of 21st Century Fox are no longer part of the brand identify of the New Fox network, they’ve rolled out a rebrand earlier this Fall. I’m curious whether this abstract logo will find its way into local station identities and when the searchlights will start to disappear from local stations with the dated, so-called “kite” logo.

more on the rebrand here: https://www.creativebloq.com/news/fox-entertainment-rebrand

That is horrible and I get to use the dislike button on here for the first time.

• Like 2

z5sWKcVikwfcqxPBJBEBNB-1200-80.jpgNow that the searchlights of 21st Century Fox are no longer part of the brand identify of the New Fox network, they’ve rolled out a rebrand earlier this Fall. 

Sad to see searchlights officially go after all these years (even though Fox hasn't used them for the past years) ; but since licensing fees are a pain, Fox had to visually evolve anyway. And I find this a great evolution based incredibly on and around its logo, which definitely isn't going anywhere. The abstract look and feel really works to the network's advantage, especially now that it isn't tied to partial namesake Hollywood studio anymore.

I’m curious whether this abstract logo will find its way into local station identities and when the searchlights will start to disappear from local stations with the dated, so-called “kite” logo.

I've seen promos lately on WTXF featuring the look and the abstract logo, but I seriously doubt the latter will be used in the stations' identities. Since the kite logos have used for over a decade, it really is time to retire them, since it's use has been downgraded in the last several years.

I'm glad that it didn't actually become the new Fox logo. Had this actually been the new Fox logo, then the world will implode. Just kidding; if it actually became the new logo, I would faint, because it would be horrible and not everyone can even read what it says!

Edited by Conrad

Some of you guys are way off. This new look is part of the 2019-2020 TV imaging campaign. They, like the other networks, often change up looks at the start of each new tv season.

That said. The aforementioned image transitions to this...

0A5BAC42-8710-48E8-A3D4-6C82F3D10865.jpeg

which isn’t new.

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, jase said:

Some of you guys are way off. This new look is part of the 2019-2020 TV imaging campaign. They, like the other networks, often change up looks at the start of each new tv season.

That said. The aforementioned image transitions to this...

0A5BAC42-8710-48E8-A3D4-6C82F3D10865.jpeg

which isn’t new.

Now that’s more like it

On 11/7/2019 at 8:09 PM, zasnynews said:

I’m curious whether this abstract logo will find its way into local station identities and when the searchlights will start to disappear from local stations with the dated, so-called “kite” logo.

A few of those stations will keep the searchlights because they're part of a duopoly where logo design is at priority #543; it's doubtful Disney is going to file a copyright lawsuit denying them use of the searchlights simply because of 32 years of 'prior art' where you associate the Fox network with them. It's the same reason about 10-20 UPN affiliates put in the least amount of effort when they switched from the shapes to the disc logo.

Fox began to downplay the searchlights in the 2000s already and had mainly used the middle pillar of the 'O' and the angle of the 'X' as part of their branding since then; it's just finally leaning full on into the abstractness of their letters to go all-in. I wouldn't be surprised in a few years when they have this established if they try to use the abstract letters as their main brand, though it's not going to happen outside the main network because Sports and News would never go for it.

• Like 1

I don't see that abstract logo working for anything news, both local and national.  It doesn't look serious enough for news.  Perhaps if they "refined" that somewhat it could work, but that would be a huge bet (which is a big understatement).  I'm sure that Fox management will carefully consider any decision regarding their logo.  I don't think they are going to rush into any major change to their main logo branding.

On a side note, I personally doubt we've seen the last of the searchlights.  Time will tell, though.

6 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

It'll be interesting to see how long Disney keeps using the Fox brand.

According to the purchase agreement, they can continue using the brand in perpetuity. Whether they choose to is a different story but they'd be most foolish to nix it.

1 hour ago, okiechi said:

According to the purchase agreement, they can continue using the brand in perpetuity. Whether they choose to is a different story but they'd be most foolish to nix it.

Why? I can see the value of using that brand for a TV network, but do you really care what company makes a movie you're watching? Especially some movies where they flash logos for four or five different production companies at the beginning.  DreamWorks, Fox, Sony, Columbia ... None of them really mean anything, in my opinion.

Maybe the Fox branding is valuable for the cable channels they inherited, but I don't think it matters what they call the movie studio.

Edited by DirtyHarry

2 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Why? I can see the value of using that brand for a TV network, but do you really care what company makes a movie you're watching? Especially some movies where they flash logos for four or five different production companies at the beginning.  DreamWorks, Fox, Sony, Columbia ... None of them really mean anything, in my opinion.

Maybe the Fox branding is valuable for the cable channels they inherited, but I don't think it matters what they call the movie studio.

Let's not go too off topic here, but to quote today's Variety article about Alan Horn and his expanded purview...

The next galaxy Horn will explore professionally is the freedom Disney now has to develop grown-up themed films, via the Fox labels.

“I’m fond of saying that when the curtain goes up and the audience sees Disney’s magic castle logo, they may not know what they’re going to see, but they know what they’re not going to see,” he says.

“With Fox, we can deal with adult themes — action, violence, sexuality, a hard PG-13 or even R. It’s exciting to think of doing these pictures through the Fox labels. Magic, but no magic castle,” he concludes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, okiechi said:

Let's not go too off topic here, but to quote today's Variety article about Alan Horn and his expanded purview...

I can see why the Disney brand has to stay clean, I just can't see why 20th Century Fox is any different than DreamWorks and whatever other brand names they have ownership of.  If I were Disney, I would want to keep my product separate from the more visible Fox network. Especially since I own ABC.

Like I said, you don't go to the movie theater to watch a movie just because it was mady by Sony. You make that decision on a movie by movie basis based on what the movie is about, the reviews and who the stars are. I don't see it working in the long run.

• 3 months later...

Fox is dabbling into streaming. The Fox stations are doing a live Coronavirus special weekdays 1-3 pm ET on their livestreams and Facebook live. It's being produced by KTVU with contributions from the other stations.

• Like 2