WTSP's Overhaul

TheRob

The graphics aren't really the problem with the newscasts. It's the fact that WTSP is now "TMZ Local on 10". Fox, Scripps, and Nexstar are laughing all the way to the bank while WTSP possibly pulls in hashmarks for ratings next few books.

Don't forget Calkin soon-to-be Raycom for WWSB in Sarasota.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What might annoy me the most is Alex Miranda as their "Social Media Anchor." Everything about that is awkward and seems forced. Also, I don't know what it is, but his IFB is always ridiculously noticeable. Maybe that's intentional for the new format, but it's distract.

I will say something in defense of Gannett/Tegna: I think they're actually a pretty creative station group. They are willing to try new concepts and ideas to make local news actually feel like something that came from this century. The days are numbered for the station that has an anchor reading in front of a blue backdrop that today we had 15 homicides and 63 violent crimes before tossing to a reporter live in front of a static police station with a three minute package.

I like the strategy that Gannett is using at market leading or otherwise strong stations like KUSA, KGW, and KARE. They all seem to have pretty quick and quirky morning shows, loose lifestyle-y afternoon shows, and pretty hard-hitting, investigative-heavy late newscasts. What KUSA and KARE have done with their 6pm shows with Kyle Clark and Jana Shortal are pretty interesting ways of reformatting an otherwise traditional newscast into a more vernacular, if somewhat irreverent, style. They've diversified show formats to optimize them for the time of day, but with all of these changes, they've phased them in all while largely keeping the same brand.

But with that said, I watched most of WTSP's 11pm tonight, and I don't think this strategy for the straggler stations works. I don't think it's as horrible as it's made out to be on here, but it didn't leave me thinking that I'd want to come back the next night and watch.

The key issue is that radical talent, format, and branding changes rarely work, especially if done simultaneously. It's amazing stations still try and pull that off, but that seems like a Joel Cheatwood trademark to try and flip everything overnight and move it all into a newsroom. If you want to tinker with the format, fine, but don't fuck with the talent at the same time or else you're going to sabotage anything you're trying to accomplish with format changes.

Whoever those anchors are that I watched had no energy in their delivery. The fire coverage probably needed to go longer and go more in depth— it didn't clock into much more than two or three minutes off the top. Then they went through all of Trump's campaign promises for what seemed like forever with no visuals to go with it beyond some really plain looking fullscreens. If you're going to do politics, why not get a reporter like Chris Vanderveen, Brandon Rittiman, or Kyle Iboshi to do a much better put together package instead of having a stale anchor read through an iPad in front of a video wall with fullscreen after fullscreen?

As for the social media element, I thought most stations would have learned by now that posing a question to viewers and then having anchors on air read the evenly divided responses not only is a dumb social media strategy, but it's also just bad television. Talk about a waste of airtime. I see they hired that guy from Huff Post Live (I knew I recognized him from somewhere), so they must have really put a lot of thought into going long on social media. If that's the case, it's amazing how wrong they're doing it.

Stylistically, it looks nice. I like the graphics shakeup, even if it's a little unnecessary, and even if the open is trying too hard to look cool. I get that WTSP might be a market laggard, but changing everything all at once is only going to drive viewers away, and I didn't see anything tonight that would attract new ones.

I see they hired that guy from Huff Post Live (I knew I recognized him from somewhere), so they must have really put a lot of thought into going long on social media. If that's the case, it's amazing how wrong they're doing it.

That's where I recognized him from. I have wondered where some of the Huff Po Live hosts ended up.

The key issue is that radical talent, format, and branding changes rarely work, especially if done simultaneously. It's amazing stations still try and pull that off, but that seems like a Joel Cheatwood trademark to try and flip everything overnight and move it all into a newsroom.

Have any other stations besides WSVN and WHDH had any major success following intervention by Joel Cheatwood?

Rivera is a pretty face. He isn't much of a journalist. There's no substance to Rivera.

"Isn't much of a journalist"????? "No substance to" what Mark Rivera does????

I happen to follow this man on Twitter; Mark Rivera has QUITE A BIT of experience in broadcasting! He was honored at one time by the Associated Press for his work, and he is also a huge fan of NPR!

Also, his wife, Alissa Groeninger, has a lot of print and digital journalism experience, she having worked at newspapers in Illinois and Florida, and winning several awards along the way...

Although it was this moment that I first became familiar with them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g4GRceFXv0), to say that Mark Rivera adds nothing to WTSP is like saying that James Harden adds nothing to the Houston Rockets and the NBA! Come on, man!!!!!

I just don't see how this will help Channel 10. In the past, their investigative reporting has been good

It's only going to drive the station down with this new format. I'm not in Tampa so are they even doing local news anymore?

Look, I get that stations are having to 'stay relevant' in the digital age. Maybe a 'social media anchor' is a good addition. Maybe making the news at 11 more relaxed is a way to set that newscast apart from the competition.

If someone is watching at home or online, aren't they watching because they want to be informed, not to watch the talent chat about '420'?

Am I missing something? I don't see 18-35s watching just for the chit-chat. News viewers are going to skew older regardless of how they package it.

upload_2017-4-21_22-39-12.thumb.png.7a051ede768ce6e7adbfdf82083c731c.png

Have any other stations besides WSVN and WHDH had any major success following intervention by Joel Cheatwood?

WCBS definitely didn't benefit- if he had left before he introduced the Information Network, Edd Kalehoff's Grandeur might still be in use (it still sees use in an edited form as a prize cue on The Price Is Right- no, really). Nightcast was a good idea, though.

Maybe this is why Hearst hasn't sold WMOR. They're waiting for one of the other stations to either self-destruct or go on the market. Instant duopoly.

CBS hasn't sold off WTOG for some reason or another.

As mentioned numerous times before me, I love the graphics. I hate the format. This "social media hip" newscast theme isn't going to work. Its like they are trying to alienate and loose the small viewers they have. TEGNA royally F'ed up this time.

In terms of ratings, I suppose you could say what he did with Headline News Prime was a success. He was probably the one to come up with the Nancy Grace, Glenn Beck, and Showbiz Tonight lineup. Of course, that populist-flash primetime feel fizzled out after a few years, but it was a ratings success for a while. He went to Fox after that, and presumably he poached Glenn Beck and groomed his show into the gorilla that it was over there. He also helped Beck launch The Blaze, though it sounds like things didn't go well with Beck when Cheatwood and another executive went off to start their current consultant firm.

In terms of ratings, I suppose you could say what he did with Headline News Prime was a success. He was probably the one to come up with the Nancy Grace, Glenn Beck, and Showbiz Tonight lineup. Of course, that populist-flash primetime feel fizzled out after a few years, but it was a ratings success for a while. He went to Fox after that, and presumably he poached Glenn Beck and groomed his show into the gorilla that it was over there. He also helped Beck launch The Blaze, though it sounds like things didn't go well with Beck when Cheatwood and another executive went off to start their current consultant firm.

Gotta love

Likewise, they still own WUPA in Atlanta, and we all know what condition WGCL is in.

WUPA was one of the best UPN stations at the network's closure. It's probably one of the best CW stations in the network.

I'm going to say it since nobody else is going to.

If you're going to CityPulse these newscasts, please Jesus, do it right!

Exhibit A

KCOP tried to clone that with Real News- didn't work out despite all the effort they put into it.

I just don't see how this will help Channel 10. In the past, their investigative reporting has been good

You can tell they've totally thrown that out the window...and no wonder Mike Deeson (probably the best reporter in the Tampa market at the time of his retirement) packed up and left with this format.

Archived