WCIU new AM show, "The Jam".

CircleSeven

WCIU hires WLS's Windy City Live producer David Plummer to become the new executive producer of "an upcoming news and lifestyle weekday morning show" that will launch in mid-summer.

This comes after the station announced that it is replacing its You & Me This Morning format, and released its hosts Jeanne Sparrow & Melissa Forman last month.

Personal opinion, a waste of money for Weigel. There are a plethora of morning show options both local and national /cable that have established shows. (WGN Morning watcher here). Even if they put out an amazing product (doubtful) they still won't get the viewers.

• 1 month later...

Since 'the JAM' isn't on the air yet, I think it's best to hold off judgement of its success or demise until it actually starts. That said, I commend the U for not giving up and trying to again at a morning show. While You&Me wasn't everybody's cup of tea, having lasted 7+ yrs. (in various forms) is, in and of itself, an accomplishment.

I wondered if they will launch it when Marissa Bailey at CBS 2 starts. WBBM cant even beat WFLD A 25-54 even when WFLD didn't have their new set. I don't even think there beating them in total households. I also remember at one point WCIU beating WBBM in the 25-54 demo. I honestly think WCIU cant beat WBBM in the 6am hour at least. I also think WBBM is losing viewers because right now they have Rosanne Tellez(Erin Kennedy) today tough ,sitting at that horseshit news desk for 2.5 hours and weather and traffic is not even joining them at the desk there using boxes. They could at least have Jim Williams come in. People are leaving and wont come back even when they have a new anchor( there trying to rebuild but crushing themselves in the meantime), and once viewers leave they will not I repeat WILL NOT come back for Marissa Bailey. PERIOD.

Personal opinion, a waste of money for Weigel. There are a plethora of morning show options both local and national /cable that have established shows. (WGN Morning watcher here). Even if they put out an amazing product (doubtful) they still won't get the viewers.

This. It's nice that The U hasn't given up on the idea of a morning show, but the way things are now, maybe they should have started something 15-20 years ago. It's gotta be way harder to establish a new morning TV show nowadays than it was back then, but good luck to them regardless!

• 1 month later...

All "The Jam" (ugh) has to be (for now) is better than its predecessor, in content, quality, and especially ratings. Personally, I think this could've been better accomplished by rebooting the "You & Me" brand, instead of starting again from zero.

Here's the set and a sample of the graphics.

All "The Jam" (ugh) has to be (for now) is better than its predecessor, in content, quality, and especially ratings. Personally, I think this could've been better accomplished by rebooting the "You & Me" brand, instead of starting again from zero.

Here's the set and a sample of the graphics.

First, the video isn't a 'set transformation' in any sense given the set is clearly already built. Not sure why they bothered to show this, but whatever. Secondly, this group of three appear to have had very little interaction between each other prior to today. I get it takes time to build chemistry and the like, but geez, they come across as complete strangers. The future doesn't look too bright for this show.

The set looks really nice.

Bright and colorful, yet warm and inviting.

Although it all depends, though, on everything else to prove it's shelf life, at least it looks great.

(Also--of note, if you look to your left [at :28], you'll see the set of Through the Decades, the original series on the Decades digital network. I had no idea it was literally backed in a corner or would later share with this show, but I pay no mind anyway.)

• 10 months later...
So have any ratings been released for this show? How does it seem to be doing? Danielle Robay, one of the hosts, seems to have left the show without much of anyone noticing, less than a year into the show's run. I don't think the show even mentioned it!

It was mentioned by like Feder and stuff, and it seemed to be an amicable departure, so they probably made note of it. Last I knew, a rotation (possibly an audition) of co-hosts have joined the show with regularity. I just can't imagine that it's drawing better ratings than "You & Me" did, but the station is clearly willing to show patience, whether it's with the old show, or even the ABC 7 newscast.

Patience is definitely what they've got. Perhaps they're holding out to see if anything happens regarding Sinclair and WGN to see if ratings improve by then? That's if WGN's morning show sees any noticeable changes that causes viewers to tune out. Looking at their social media, it looks like they don't get that much buzz, and if You & Me's social media accounts were anything like that, then I'm sure the ratings aren't much better.

Patience is definitely what they've got. Perhaps they're holding out to see if anything happens regarding Sinclair and WGN to see if ratings improve by then? That's if WGN's morning show sees any noticeable changes that causes viewers to tune out. Looking at their social media, it looks like they don't get that much buzz, and if You & Me's social media accounts were anything like that, then I'm sure the ratings aren't much better.

The lack of social media presence is a huge problem for them. Secondly, I don't know who this show appeals to (and I don't think they know that either). The Sinclair/WGN thing is a non factor for WCIU. Good Day (which turned 25 yrs-old today) and not the JAM would likely benefit the most from a WGN Morning News viewer revolt.

I feel like they're trying to go for an urban millennial audience on some days, and older demographics like they tried with "You & Me" on others. It seems kind of confused, whereas "You & Me" at least knew to go for the soccer mom audience (not that it really worked out, given the lack of viewers throughout most of its run). They're certainly trying to advertise it though. Ads are on a bunch of buses, and they were even throwing beach parties with some of the hosts and reporters the last couple of weekends at some beaches (dunno if anyone showed up or not though, but I'm sure they had to get some visiting them at North Avenue Beach), so you can't blame WCIU for not trying to get word out that the show exists.

I’ve heard this Sinclair-WGN Morning News shakeup talk a lot. Have there been rumors or any indication that Sinclair would break up the most popular morning program in the group of stations? That would be insane.

I’ve heard this Sinclair-WGN Morning News shakeup talk a lot. Have there been rumors or any indication that Sinclair would break up the most popular morning program in the group of stations? That would be insane.

It's just a bunch of rumors at this point. I think the conventional wisdom is that 'if' the morning team were forced, for example, into reading any must-runs (and the like), they would likely voice their dissent on-air. Which in turn would mean Sinclair would end up either firing someone outright, not renew a contract, etc... or anything else that would have a negative effect on the show. No one knows what will happen until something actually does happen.

Archived