KTVU New Open?

CaptainNews

Open is at (0:21)

I'm not sure if it's me getting to this late or not but I haven't seen a thread on a graphics update. Is this open being used for all FOX O&O's?

This was the debut open btw as yes... The 11:00 O'Clock News started yesterday and is Sundays-Fridays.

The one thing that stuck out about those opens... can Fox get a new theme package? For the love of all that is holy, can they get a new theme package?

But ... but how else can Fox TV O&Os be confused with the Fox News Channel?

Seriously, that theme package was adaquate at best, and failed to age with time.

But ... but how else can Fox TV O&Os be confused with the Fox News Channel?

Seriously, that theme package was adaquate at best, and failed to age with time.

I liked it when WTXF got it... but it has not aged well. At all. And this is the market with the forty year old news music.

I think I speak for the lot of us here when I say, the classic theme or Icon would still work. There is no force on this planet that will ever make me believe the Fox theme suits San Francisco.

I think I speak for the lot of us here when I say, the classic theme or Icon would still work. There is no force on this planet that will ever make me believe the Fox theme suits San Francisco.

The theme doesn't bother me but the only part that i don't like it's that they use a shorthand version of the close and the rotating FOX 2 and laser 2 during the newscasts.

I also noticed they updated the app icon on my phone a week ago with a basic white background and got rid of the search lights to keep the original laser 2

So there's a little inside information for you! I'm no longer with the station but I did like the evolution of my design that launched this week for the new 11p show and I'm sure they'll replace my work on the other shows with this new design--and they should!

Edit:

I should also add -- a modern interpretation of the classic KTVU open with the 3D city flyover was planned in the graphics relaunch I was working on in 2014 but obviously never came to fruition. I never had time for it afterward... but that would have been a lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing.

Hope you managed to get copies of the old classic themes. Heard you guys had commissioned an update of the classic 80s / 90s theme before the acquisition to go along with that flyover project you were working on. Did that ever get delivered?

And who made the call on sticking with the Fox O&O music?

Why didn't they just stick with the updated cuts of the FOX O&O package? It would been a better option than going with the original cuts of the package.

That's crazy. I sent that logo update in long before I left and I've been at my new station for almost 7 months now...

The former CSD and I talked about it. He had some connections with music composers having commissioned the themes for KFMB. Never really went anywhere after the station takeover.

I think I'm a little more conscious about music decisions based on what I've learned from this site (and all the complaints I've read about decisions I've made in the past here!). You'll find most folks though don't go past the first track on these packages.

Some of these music packages out there to brand stations also haven't kept up with the industry itself. There's still a lot of brass and strings (or in the case of my current station -- synth!) when guitars and drums are a little more palatable now. Hearst did a good job with this when I worked with them and we launched the current station group look.

Thanks for fighting the good fight!

• 3 weeks later...

looks alright here. if you want change i'd at least make them use the updated theme or have 615/Gari commision a Remix of the Michael Randall theme. because that theme screamed Bay area ever since they were Fox affiliated for the first time. but for now we will have to deal with KTVU's Cut is using with their opens that WTXF is also using.

• 2 weeks later...
Heck, 'TVU brought back the "Complete Bay Area News Coverage™" slogan...

They can never make up their mind.

"Complete Bay Area or The Bay Areas News Leader."

• 3 weeks later...

Archived