Spectrum Auction Results

tyrannical bastard

In the TVNewscheck article announcing its purchase of LA's KAZA (spectrumed itself to KHTV-CD) and KNLC in St. Louis (oh, that's going to be fun for the spec thread; a literal garbage heap of a station becoming something finally!), Weigel also dropped that WMLW will move in whole to WBME-CD (the former WMLW-CA), which effectively undoes WMLW's 2012 swap to the full-power channel 49 allotment to finally get an HD signal (WBME was rebuilt as a digital station in the interim).

Milwaukee viewers won't see very much from the change at all; Weigel folded compulsory WMLW and subchannel carriage to get WDJT into their agreements with providers a decade ago and whenever This's never-ending agreement with Weigel ends, you can expect a "The M-MeTV-Bounce-Telemundo simulcast" map there with little disruption outside of outskirt viewers (or Me to become exclusive to WDJT-DT2).

Also in Milwaukee, Milwaukee PBS killed their two audio classical and jazz channels on WMVT due to licensing costs and lack of future room at the end of the month; WMVT's main channel and Create subchannel will move to WMVS on January 8 (still hoping the Traffic channel at least gets merged to Weather). And we all know about WCGV's fate as part of the Sinclair merger with Tribune, nothing new yet there.

Still nothing about WVCY though; I'm waiting with baited breath to see who takes that challenge. They seem to be running the special A Glimpse of Hell a lot lately, and that must be how most of the station execs in Milwaukee feel right now about picking up WVCY ;).

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Another programming change happening October 9th.

Remember Jackson, MI's WHTV ended its MyNetworkTV affilation after selling its station during the spectrum auction?

Well, I don't think this was any surprise, but the Lansing State Journal said that Scripps-owned WSYM will be carrying the MyNet affiliate on 47.4.

From WPRI's site here's the new channel lineup effective 10/2.

12.1 WPRI 12-CBS

12.2 MyRITV

12.3 Bounce TV

64.1 Fox Providence

64.2 The CW Providence

I wonder if this means that Movies! and Decades (From WLWC), GetTV (From WPRI), and Laff (From WNAC) will carry over to the new WLWC when they start channel sharing with WPXQ.

I wonder if this means that Movies! and Decades (From WLWC), GetTV (From WPRI), and Laff (From WNAC) will carry over to the new WLWC when they start channel sharing with WPXQ.

That could be a possibility. Never thought of that but I can see that happening.

WPXQ already has 6 channels, (main + 5 subs) typical of most ION stations. There really isn't much room for even one more, let alone three.

If you want them all to run at 480i, sure. The current 28.1 is at 1080i because that’s the standard output for CW programming, and that may be the only room available.

WJAL will cease operations at midnight Saturday (September 30). The Hagerstown Herald-Mail story about the move seems to state that the station will go off the air permanently, and that the station has laid off its entire staff. But FCC filings already disclosed that Entravision has entered WJAL into a channel-sharing agreement with WUSA, which gives the company until February to move virtual channel 68 to WUSA's Tenleytown tower in Washington. So, is WJAL really done for, or is this a temporary cease-op?

WPXQ already has 6 channels, (main + 5 subs) typical of most ION stations. There really isn't much room for even one more, let alone three.

After review, I believe that Ion can do away with Ion Shop (x.4), HSN (x.5), and QVC (x.6) that should make more room espically if Ion stations are going to be CSA host stations.

WJAL will cease operations at midnight Saturday (September 30). The Hagerstown Herald-Mail story about the move seems to state that the station will go off the air permanently, and that the station has laid off its entire staff. But FCC filings already disclosed that Entravision has entered WJAL into a channel-sharing agreement with WUSA, which gives the company until February to move virtual channel 68 to WUSA's Tenleytown tower in Washington. So, is WJAL really done for, or is this a temporary cease-op?

I think this is just temporary. Why go to the trouble of a CSA if youre going to just shut down the station?

After review, I believe that Ion can do away with Ion Shop (x.4), HSN (x.5), and QVC (x.6) that should make more room espically if Ion stations are going to be CSA host stations.

How does HSN and QVC react to all these sudden changes in the lineup of the diginets?

Does QVC and HSN have any pull besides whatever is in the carriage contract, or do the other nets have more clout?

I'm asking because I don't have a clue about these subchannel things.

I think this is just temporary. Why go to the trouble of a CSA if youre going to just shut down the station?

WJAL operating from their own transmitter and stick (which was miles from of the DC metro) will cease permanently after September 30.

Assuming programming will stay the same afterwards, the station will be operating from WUSA's stick through a CSA. WJAL's callsign and facility ID will stay the same. The only difference is that a whole chunk of DC metro can finally see channel 68.1 once they light it up from WUSA's stick.

WJAL operating from their own transmitter and stick (which was miles from of the DC metro) will cease permanently after September 30.

Assuming programming will stay the same afterwards, the station will be operating from WUSA's stick through a CSA. WJAL's callsign and facility ID will stay the same. The only difference is that a whole chunk of DC metro can finally see channel 68.1 once they light it up from WUSA's stick.

Why don't they just wait until the transmitter equipment is installed at the Tenleytown tower and make the switchover in the middle of the night to limit disruption (shutting down the previous transmitter and then resuming operations on the new transmitter hours later), rather than putting WJAL on sabbatical?

Because they don't want to continue WJAL as is in the first place. The entire reason Entravision has been stuck with WJAL for 16 years is because they've been repeatedly trying to move the license into D.C. so they can shift UniMás over from WMDO-CD to a full-power transmitter. There won't be any disruption to what they've always wanted to put on 68 - and for all intents and purposes the article is exactly right, as "Family 68" really is going away permanently.

They COULD. But it’s easy money for ION to run those shopping networks on a turnkey basis. Why give them up? I wouldn’t if I were them.

And it sounds to me like the channel that is giving up their spectrum will have to conform to what the sharing channel will provide. To wit, WWDP is only offering 1/3 of their spectrum over to WMFP... it is even specified in the channel sharing agreement application.

From WPRI's site here's the new channel lineup effective 10/2.

12.1 WPRI 12-CBS

12.2 MyRITV

12.3 Bounce TV

64.1 Fox Providence

64.2 The CW Providence

More Info. After the switch on Monday at 12:30pm (when the channel-share commences, 28.1 will be carrying Ion Life. This is nothing more than a virtual channel change since that net is already airing on RF 17.

I wished WPRI would've been more wise and just push The CW to 12.2. That way, they didn't have to switch MyNet to that allotment. That would've made the most sense.

Is there anybody from the DC area who can tell me what happened with WJAL today? Wikipedia is reporting that they are broadcasting off of WUSA's spectrum as an affiliate now of LATV, while Bounce moved from WUSA to WFDC (if so, that's part of the agreement between Katz and Univision), and Justice also being removed from WUSA.

Want to know if anybody is able to confirm. WJAL's website has not been updated with anything.

I wished WPRI would've been more wise and just push The CW to 12.2. That way, they didn't have to switch MyNet to that allotment. That would've made the most sense.

MyNet is a 720p network, CW is 1080i. It's all about load-balancing in this case; WPRI doesn't want to run two 1080i signals and the only people it affects are antenna viewers; everyone else just sees it as their provider's channel.

MyNet is a 720p network, CW is 1080i. It's all about load-balancing in this case; WPRI doesn't want to run two 1080i signals and the only people it affects are antenna viewers; everyone else just sees it as their provider's channel.

They could've reconvert the 12.2 stream to a 720p. That's probably what they're going to do with 64.2.

It appears that they're going to move Get TV to 12.4. And Laff is being kept on 64.3. Maybe[?] moving the MyNet to 12 is to not to severely degrade the CBS main channel, yet they also have Bounce and Get.

Is there anybody from the DC area who can tell me what happened with WJAL today? Wikipedia is reporting that they are broadcasting off of WUSA's spectrum as an affiliate now of LATV, while Bounce moved from WUSA to WFDC (if so, that's part of the agreement between Katz and Univision), and Justice also being removed from WUSA.

Want to know if anybody is able to confirm. WJAL's website has not been updated with anything.

As per RabbitEars.info, LATV moved from WMDO. I wonder is UniMÁS will eventually move to WUSA's stick while the subchannels move to WMDO when they move to WIAV's stick, which is being hardly used at the moment.

So... is OTA still holding the license for WLWC? I assume there’s a plan in place to transfer it to ION at some point...

They could've reconvert the 12.2 stream to a 720p. That's probably what they're going to do with 64.2.

It appears that they're going to move Get TV to 12.4. And Laff is being kept on 64.3. Maybe[?] moving the MyNet to 12 is to not to severely degrade the CBS main channel, yet they also have Bounce and Get.

Hell, I’d have merged the MyTV sub’s program inventory into the soon-to-be-former WLWC, with the MyTV programs airing in late night. But that might have been implausible with a new TV season already underway.

WBDT is moving to the WDTN tower from Springfield... Paxson Communications built the tower between '97 and '98 just before the Pax network was launched. Sunrise/LIN rebuilt WDTN's tower in 2000 for DTV and to expand reception to the west side of Dayton, who largely depended on ABC service from WKRC and then WCPO on cable.

Side note: The availablity of WKRC and WCPO on cable is why WDTN didn't air the ABC soaps with the exception of Port Charles and All My Children until the early 2000s...

So... is OTA still holding the license for WLWC? I assume there’s a plan in place to transfer it to ION at some point...

Hell, I’d have merged the MyTV sub’s program inventory into the soon-to-be-former WLWC, with the MyTV programs airing in late night. But that might have been implausible with a new TV season already underway.

It appears that ION is taking over the WLWC license. Updated into posted on the WLWC site:

"On Monday, October 2nd at 12:30pm, 28.1 will air ION Life. "

ION Life is already on WPXQ 69-3, so moving to WLWC 28-1 will give them must-carry for ION Life.

http://www.thecwprov.com/story/36254346/the-cw-providence-channel-information

As of now, OTA still holds WLWC's paper. Ion can't acquire WLWC license outright because they're are too few stations in Prov to form a duopoly.

Archived